cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ads

Does the ads beta works does it bring in enough traffic  will it increase sells or is it just wasted money spent. 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Ads

@kingdiamond91 

We tried this at the beginning of the year. Created a one month off site ads campaign to give it a good “try”. Two full weeks in, we ended the campaign. Found it to be a complete waste of money.

Of course we are in a very saturated market. Still thought maybe it could “help” sales. No. Nope. Nada. It’s not for us.

It may need to be around longer, work the bugs out and maybe in the future?!? But as of right now we are staying far away from off site ads.

Happy Selling 🛍

Kiks

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Ads

This 'ads-beta' is basically the same as 'pay per click' that Bing(Yahoo) and Google has been doing for over a decade. You are paying for people who are using those search engines and input the correct 'search words' to 'see your item and then click on it, bringing them to ebay (AND you are charged whether they Buy or Not!!)

Also: there are also 1000's of OTHER websites, OTHER Ebayers etc. showing the same items, so it just depends on 

a.) is the buyer serious?

b.) is your item cheaper than the next guy?

c.) is the 'searcher' even a buyer, or just another fellow 'seller' looking to see your item?

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Ads

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

c.) is the 'searcher' even a buyer, or just another fellow 'seller' looking to see your item?

Worse could happen...

What if the "searcher" is actually a search engine robot, an automated piece of software sent to index data?

Would that count as a click, because it certainly shows up in site statistics as a "hit."

How about a competitor, repeatedly clicks your ad to run up your tab?

And perhaps not, but rest assured "pay per click" is open for fraud (much like pay per lead) and there is little to no incentive for those getting paid (i.e.: ebay) to address any of it. Of course if any of us were to call them to ask about this they would feed us the usual conciliatory answers.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Ads

Well it seems ebay is desperate for sellers to try it, even offering a $100 credit to all and sundry, and now they're sending emails about it.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Ads

My feeling is that if they are offering a $100 credit to try it, it can turn out to be very costly in the long run. It depends on what you are selling and if you have a marketing budget to cover expenses and take the losses. 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Ads

What I sell, I have many competitors. I've 'searched' on Google & Bing(Yahoo) using typical search terms and ALWAYS saw my items ON EBAY listed (as well as My own Website- up until 2018 when I decided NOT to pay for Google/Yahoo "pay per click"...as it just wasnt' worth it after doing it for about 6 years.

Pay Per Click (and you HAD to and CAN put a 'max' on EACH 'searchword term' as well as how much $$ can be charged PER DAY)- so bottom line

I spend $100 a week, $400 a month- for about 6 years- and I needed to do $800 in business to just 'break even'...and on average, was doing about $10,000 a year...$800 a month.

Bottom line, I spend about $3200 a year for 6 years and made $0.00 after material, shipping, taxes, cc fees etc. 

I've seen recently, that ebay was showing my items 'less' (after receiving that 'credit' thingy a few months ago) and my sales DROPPED about 50% as my items were NOT showing on Google NEARLY as much. 

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Ads

@kingdiamond91 ,

I was offered a $100.00 credit to try it. Spent the $100.00 credit and convinced it wasn't worth for me. It might be different for what you sell. At least it didn't cost me anything to find out it doesn't work for me.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Ads

I am so glad you asked this question. I received the email from ebay and was not sure if i should just try it out.

Well you saved me some money after reading the posts. Thank you all.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply