cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding GSP - should I do it?

Looking for some opinions and advice here.

I used to ship internationally to some countries, and I did get buyers from time to time, especially from Australia. I stopped last year because of the Covid mail mess.  I miss my international buyers but really don't want to start back with the mails still not up to speed.

How has GSP been working for those that use it? NOT Ebay standard international shipping - if I'm gonna do that I might as well ship direct myself.   GSP - global shipping program.

I'm thinking about trying it but am just looking for some honest opinions on how it is working at the present time.  I sell mainly old books and vintage and antique paper items, nothing hot, trendy, popular or in high demand, so that's not an issue.

Thanks in advance 🙂

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Still reports of items returned to sellers slow shipping and so on with GPS on the boards. Still staying off of it for now.

Message 2 of 38
latest reply

Some thing that you need to be aware, is that ebay is charging for a foreign transaction fee.  If some one buys from you from abroad, you are going to pay a little extra.

Message 3 of 38
latest reply

I have been using GSP since the program was released. I have sold to re-shippers and also many more international sales through the GSP.  I have never had any issues with any of those sales.  I send packages to GSP in Kentucky. GSP is responsible for lost or damaged packages. I have had Australian buyers that have purchase items in all price ranges that they just had to have (buyers from other parts of the world also). 

Being protected from lost or damaged packages is a plus - but I haven't run into those issues. You may want to NOT include GSP for very heavy, costly or items you consider high risk for scam.  You would still be responsible for not as described claims. I am sure there are sellers that have had bad GSP experiences (as well as domestic experiences) running into buyers intent on abusing eBay Buyer Protections.

I would consider adding another shipping option for Canada and other select countries - but for now it's just been GSP.

Message 4 of 38
latest reply

Thank you all, this is the kind of advice I'm looking for!

Keep it coming, y'all - the good, the bad and the ugly.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 5 of 38
latest reply

My experience with GSP (I think maybe a year?) has been UNFREAKEABLY outstanding. OMG what kind of money internationals will spend on product and shipping.  Just sold 3 honking big "Janes" books to one person, $50 each plus who knows how much in shipping to their country. Just sold a $266 book. On and on it goes. I only kick myself that I didn't join the GSP a lot sooner! My international sales were almost nil when shipping myself!

Of course,  YMMV. I suppose any day I could be hit with some problem but so far smooth sailing and just a constant stream of orders [I sell books in lots a great deal and people are buying these heavy things all the time].

Also, I curtailed my international offerings due to issues with customers claiming nondelivery. On Amazon I no longer ship international. I was burned a few times. Now I only need to reach Kentucky and then I'm no longer involved in delivery.

Message 6 of 38
latest reply

Left out contacting GPS seems to also be a problem.

Message 7 of 38
latest reply

As a buyer, I prefer GSP. The service is much better than standard international shipping, and it's faster. Also, the customs taxes are paid up front, nothing to pay on delivery...

Message 8 of 38
latest reply

I've used GSP for several years. I probably had less than 3 issues overall.  All worked out for me.

I don't like when something gets restricted by the destination country because I don't get the item back. However, I retain the sale proceeds, and the buyer receives a refund. Many times I'd rather have the item back....but that's how it works.

For quite a while now, I have very few international sales that use the GSP.  My international sales are now from buyers who use a shipping forwarder. That has worked out well with zero issues.

Message 9 of 38
latest reply

We stopped using GSP last year as the service with them and inability to contact them was a mess.  We ship direct to Canada with no issues (their buyers are so patient).  We had several GSP orders go awry at one time and decided to hit the "pause" button.  

We too have been wondering if this has improved.  With the types of items you sell, I would think it would be lesser risk than for some.  When we were using GSP, I never included all of our items and only ones below a certain value.  

Australia and Canada were always great in the past.  As with anything on here, I would vote to try it and see how it goes.  We too have been thinking about trying again.  

Biggest drawback is the CS for GSp is non-existent unless something has changed.  If something goes awry, it is pretty much via email to them only and getting it resolved with your Buyer seems to be yours to interface and resolve.  

Good luck!  If you do it, would love to know in 30-45 days how it is working out for you and if it created sales for you as well.  

p.s.  When we did do it, we bulk edited to turn it off prior to the holiday "magic" time as the shipping times were a disaster.  They just could not handle the in-coming volume.  We would edit it out by 10/31.  ymmv

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 10 of 38
latest reply

Okay, I did it lol

If I decide it's not for me I can always remove it I guess.

Message 11 of 38
latest reply

Sorry so late.  I missed this post last week. 

I'm a huge fan of GSP.  It brings me sales that i otherwise would not have.

It cost me nothing. I get paid my standard shipping rate (whatever it would cost me to send to a US buyer).

You don't have to do anything different, and I mean nothing.  No customs paperwork.

Just  print out a regular shipping label like it was going to the US and you're done.

Once the package reaches the hub (Erlanger, KY) you're responsibility is over.  

You will not be held responsible for a late, missing, lost or stolen package. 

On the down side, it's very expensive for the buyer.  But the charges are all spelled out when the buyer makes the purchase.  If they are willing to pay the extra charges, why not?

I've been using GSP for years and have never had a problem. 

I know many other sellers who don't like GSP but in my opinion it's a no-brainer.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 12 of 38
latest reply

We gave up on it last winter during the Holiday USPS debacle.  Really want to add Australia back to the mix.  We ship to Canada.....maybe will try it again.  If you can ship from Hawaii to KY and have no issues with this, there is hope for us all!

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 13 of 38
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

Okay, I did it lol

If I decide it's not for me I can always remove it I guess.

Good luck to you darlin'. 🙂

Message 14 of 38
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

Sorry so late.  I missed this post last week. 

I'm a huge fan of GSP.  It brings me sales that i otherwise would not have.

It cost me nothing. I get paid my standard shipping rate (whatever it would cost me to send to a US buyer).

You don't have to do anything different, and I mean nothing.  No customs paperwork.

Just  print out a regular shipping label like it was going to the US and you're done.

Once the package reaches the hub (Erlanger, KY) you're responsibility is over.  

You will not be held responsible for a late, missing, lost or stolen package. 

On the down side, it's very expensive for the buyer.  But the charges are all spelled out when the buyer makes the purchase.  If they are willing to pay the extra charges, why not?

I've been using GSP for years and have never had a problem. 

I know many other sellers who don't like GSP but in my opinion it's a no-brainer.

@inhawaii 

How about issues with INAD? Have any of those? If so how did they turn out?

Message 15 of 38
latest reply