cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account suspended

To my fellow ebayers,  My account was recently suspended (one month) for listing a flare gun. I certainly understand that rules are rules and we have to follow them, but here's the thing. The reason I messed up and listed this item is that I found it for sale on ebay and then found a completed listing to copy.  I never guessed that a flare gun would be classifed as a weapon although I now see the logic to some degree.

I think ebay could help sellers by improving the software to stop these listings before they become active.

It was a harsh lesson for my company in the forth quarter of the year.  Our company is 100% feedback and a top rated seller.  We need to ban together and stop unfair treatment of sellers. 

Message 1 of 105
latest reply
104 REPLIES 104

Re: Account suspended

@*madison wrote:

I think it's a contradictory policy.

A crossbow is an intended weapon, a flare gun isn't, flare guns have actually saved lives.

And hunters are already killers.

I would never trust a hunter with my life, ( they have that killing instinct ) and I hate them all.

This is 'merica. We buy shotguns and bullet's at Walmart

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 91 of 105
latest reply

@*madison wrote:

Go right now and do a search for a crossbow. You will find a real weapon (not something that "can" be used as a weapon) and it is FAR more lethal than a flare gun. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree, in fact, I think not allowing flares guns and allowing crossbows is ridiculous.

In recent years, around 2009, the UK had a crossbow serial killer, he killed 3 women. I've never heard of a flare gun killer.

As mentioned already, flare guns in the wong hands, children, incompetent people, can kill.

So I can understand ebay not wanting to take on the liability.

And while it did not happen in your country, here is but one indicence of an 18 year old killing three children with a flare gun.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/man-charged-killing-children-flare-gun-article-1.1580587

Message 92 of 105
latest reply

@kattinsanity wrote:

There are MANY ways to kill people.  Should ebay ban kitchen knives because the buyer  may stab their spouse with one?  Here in my part of the country crossbows are used for hunting or for sports.  Right now it's bow hunting season on deer.  Most people will use that crossbow for what it is intended.  As in my case yesterday where they removed my cpap hose~~right now there are 7,306 listings for cpap supplies from hoses, masks, cushions, water chambers, headgear, etc..  Tell me~~what is the danger in selling a hose?  One seller of the same hose I had listed has 5 available and has sold 22.  I think it's **bleep** but I'm going to just donate my hose to the thrift shop.

The danger is infection if that hose is not cleaned properly.

Message 93 of 105
latest reply

@myangelandmyprincess wrote:

@getitright1234 wrote:

@casagrandepawn wrote:

To my fellow ebayers,  My account was recently suspended (one month) for listing a flare gun. I certainly understand that rules are rules and we have to follow them, but here's the thing. The reason I messed up and listed this item is that I found it for sale on ebay and then found a completed listing to copy.  I never guessed that a flare gun would be classifed as a weapon although I now see the logic to some degree.

I think ebay could help sellers by improving the software to stop these listings before they become active.

It was a harsh lesson for my company in the forth quarter of the year.  Our company is 100% feedback and a top rated seller.  We need to ban together and stop unfair treatment of sellers. 

This is exactly what I said to all who would listen when I got a Vero for using the term:  Veil  Crow (sp), in a listing, who knew this was a violation,........(oh eBay did)  and as I listed this item it too went active and stayed active for weeks...... then boom a Vero strike.    

I,  100% agree with what you are saying, there should have been some pro-active programming that prevented these prohibited items and names from becoming activated listings.    

If you're meaning Velcro why would eBay prevent that word?   It's legitiment thing that can be sold on eBay.  It's a violation when it's not Velcro brand.  Just like using any other brand name for a non brand name item.  

It is not ebay that is doing it, it is the company.  Velcro is extremely protective of its product and as a VERO member will search ebay for those not in compliance.

Ebay has no choice then but to remove it.

Message 94 of 105
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

@myangelandmyprincess wrote:

@getitright1234 wrote:

@casagrandepawn wrote:

This is exactly what I said to all who would listen when I got a Vero for using the term:  Veil  Crow (sp), in a listing, who knew this was a violation,........(oh eBay did)  and as I listed this item it too went active and stayed active for weeks...... then boom a Vero strike.    

I,  100% agree with what you are saying, there should have been some pro-active programming that prevented these prohibited items and names from becoming activated listings.    

If you're meaning Velcro why would eBay prevent that word?   It's legitiment thing that can be sold on eBay.  It's a violation when it's not Velcro brand.  Just like using any other brand name for a non brand name item.  

It is not ebay that is doing it, it is the company.  Velcro is extremely protective of its product and as a VERO member will search ebay for those not in compliance.

Ebay has no choice then but to remove it.

Regarding Velcro... Smiley Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRi8LptvFZY

Message 95 of 105
latest reply

And crossbows on ebay. Smiley Indifferent

Message 96 of 105
latest reply

@*madison wrote:

And crossbows on ebay. Smiley Indifferent

Hey, once you get used to all the bodies in the streets it really isn't that bad here. At least we can speak English.

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 97 of 105
latest reply

@siayan wrote:

@*madison wrote:

A crossbow is an intended weapon, a flare gun isn't, flare guns have actually saved lives.

I would never trust a hunter with my life, ( they have that killing instinct ) and I hate them all.

And I wouldn't want any other way. Guns don't kill. People do.

Message 98 of 105
latest reply

@chipper01work wrote:

@siayan wrote:

@*madison wrote:

Whi h is why those people should never have access to a gun.

Message 99 of 105
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

@chipper01work wrote:

@siayan wrote:

@*madison wrote:

Those kind of people shouldn't have access to a crayon!

Message 100 of 105
latest reply

Hey Mods ....  Can we drive a stake through the heart of this one?

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 101 of 105
latest reply

The danger is infection if the hose isn't cleaned properly?  My hose is brand new still factory sealed.  I don't believe there is a single seller on ebay who is selling used cpap supplies~~I didn't look through all 7,000+ listings for cpap supplies though.  Also, I've been using my cpap for almost 5 years now and I've never cleaned the hose~~I just replace them every month or so.  I do clean the mask, cushion, headgear and water chamber but not the hose~~I've never gotten an infection from it either.

Message 102 of 105
latest reply

@kattinsanity wrote:

The danger is infection if the hose isn't cleaned properly?  My hose is brand new still factory sealed.  I don't believe there is a single seller on ebay who is selling used cpap supplies~~I didn't look through all 7,000+ listings for cpap supplies though.  Also, I've been using my cpap for almost 5 years now and I've never cleaned the hose~~I just replace them every month or so.  I do clean the mask, cushion, headgear and water chamber but not the hose~~I've never gotten an infection from it either.

Yes, you can be trusted.

But others cannot.  They could try and sneak in some that were used.

And once again that is why we all pay for those who cannot play by the rules.

Message 103 of 105
latest reply

@bremontoy0 wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

@chipper01work wrote:

@siayan wrote:

Those kind of people shouldn't have access to a crayon!

Crayons are dangerous!!

There was a metal band named "Crayon Death" in the 90's. They were terrible LOL

Just to add my 2¢ to the actual topic at hand "why flare guns are prohibited" ...

Flares are HazMat and must be shipped as such. USPS considers them "Non-Mailable", even by ground. They have to be shipped UPS or FedEx and must be presented at a mailing facility with the correct ORM labeling.

Flare Guns have certain Local regulations regarding buying and selling. eBay's stance has always been if it might be illegal somewhere, then it is not allowed.

Certain flare guns (Military and LE) are capable of firing a 10 Gauge shotgun shell, so there is that too. And ... They sell inserts to convert a 12 Gauge Flare Gun to fire shells.

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 104 of 105
latest reply

Hi all, this thread is now closed since it keeps veering off-topic with discussions that are better held in one of the off-topic groups. 

Thanks for understanding!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
- miss.kitty.kat
Community Moderator
Message 105 of 105
latest reply