cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accepting credit cards as payment through paypal

Hello,

Hoping someone can help me. When I list items I want to sell through my eBay account, buyers can only buy using their PayPal account. Most listings I see for similiar items shows that buyers can purchase using credit cards processed through PayPal. I have a PayPal buisness account and as far as I can tell it is linked with my eBay account. When I go to my site perferances in my account setting and it says accept payments with credit card through merchant account, PayPal is not an option. Its probably something really obvious I need to do but any help would be much appreciated.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Can't answer why they couldn't use a credit card, I'm fairly sure you don't have to have a pp account to use one.    Could be some glitch on their account....I would tell them to call paypal and perhaps you should call also to be sure there isn't some glitch...... but according to the listing, you look fine for using one. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

I see this on your listing:

Payments:
PayPalVisa/MasterCard, Amex, Discover
Credit Cards processed by PayPal
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

@txbag317 As DHBooks noted above, you've already got that feature in your listings. 🙂

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Huh, when I look at my listing it just says PayPal, not PayPal credit cards processed through PayPal. I guess the real issue is that a buyer could not use a credit card to pay for my items, they said they HAD to use PayPal. Thoughts?

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Can't answer why they couldn't use a credit card, I'm fairly sure you don't have to have a pp account to use one.    Could be some glitch on their account....I would tell them to call paypal and perhaps you should call also to be sure there isn't some glitch...... but according to the listing, you look fine for using one. 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Yeah I'm thinking something wrong on their end cause I had a friend look from another account and they said the same. Thanks guys

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@txbag317 wrote:

Huh, when I look at my listing it just says PayPal, not PayPal credit cards processed through PayPal...

The listing view is different for sellers when they look at their own listing. To see your listings as others do, you have to log out.

Every ebay seller who accepts Paypal payments automatically accepts credit card payments through PayPal.  It's part of accepting PayPal; there's nothing you need to do to activate it.  You can't even opt-out of it.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

So is this at check out when they select paypal for payment?  They are asked what type of credit card?

Thank you, Allen

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

No. We had both direct Visa/MC when we had a B&M shop as well as PP.

Most of our customers -- as in over 99%-- still went for PP.

Even those who were also shop customers and who were going to pick up their lots at the shop.

(Some would pay with their cards when they go to the shop-- that's  the other under 1%).

When the buyer wants to pay by card directly, he has to send the seller his number and expiry date. Which is when they switch back to PP.

In terms of costs, the difference was minimal even though we are in Canada and were / are selling in US dollars. We just put our US payments in our American bank.

Overseas payments were just a minor overhead.

We closed the shop in 2014, so things may have changed since then.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Unless things have dramatically changed, paypal has control, even with merchants accounts, and is still considered the merchant of record because they provide the gateway to process the card.  To them, it is the same as a paypal card/account.

There shouldn't be any reason, other than the viability of the card or the cardholder's account, that a person can't use their credit card to purchase through paypal.

(However, this was then and perhaps paypal and/or Visa/MC have changed the rules)

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@newenglandpurchasing wrote:

So is this at check out when they select paypal for payment?  They are asked what type of credit card?

Thank you, Allen

If you are not using the Buyer Requirement that blocks buyers without a PayPal account, buyers can check out on eBay using a Credit card. Or they can check out as a PayPal Guest.

(For that matter ... buyers don't even have to have an eBay account ... they can buy as a Guest)

The Card Payment is processed by PayPal and the seller gets the payment as normal ... If you look at the PP transaction it will show as "The sender of this payment is Unregistered".

https://ocsnext.ebay.com/ocs/sr?query=2527

https://ocsnext.ebay.com/ocs/sr?&query=3253

https://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/buying-as-guest.html

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 11 of 11
latest reply