cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About Video in listings

velvet@ebay 

I'm going to list a couple of animated/musical items before long with videos......  and in thinking about it....I'm inclined to put w VIDEO in the title.....obviously to try to spark buyer interest in opening the listing.......

But the thought occurred to me that it could be considered key word spamming since the items are not videos....  Frankly, I think sellers are going to begin to do this........but wanted a "ruling" about the legality if possible. 

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

About Video in listings

@dhbookds wrote:

velvet@ebay 

I'm going to list a couple of animated/musical items before long with videos......  and in thinking about it....I'm inclined to put w VIDEO in the title.....obviously to try to spark buyer interest in opening the listing.......

But the thought occurred to me that it could be considered key word spamming since the items are not videos....  Frankly, I think sellers are going to begin to do this........but wanted a "ruling" about the legality if possible. 

That's a good question @dhbookds! Let me see what I can find out. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

About Video in listings

Did a search for "see video".

Thousands of listings with "see video" in the title.

Holding Back The Years - Simply Red
Message 3 of 18
latest reply

About Video in listings

velvet@ebay  Well, here's a related question: ebay obviously wants us to use videos.

So, WHEN is ebay going to make it easier for buyers to find listings with video by adding a search filter and/or an icon of some sort in search results so that buyers can easily see that the listing has a video? 

(Which would have the added benefit of freeing up space in the title that some sellers are now using for "see video")

If ebay really wants us to use video, then making video- enabled listings easy to find should be a priority----especially as we hurtle towards Q4.

Please check with the video team to see if this is at least on the roadmap.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

About Video in listings

I've heard back that it's not a good idea to include the video info in your title @dhbookds. They say it could lead to confusion, which could then lead to listing removals, cases being opened, etc. They recommend referring to approved video links in your description if needed.

Having said that, @my-cottage-books-and-antiques suggested a good idea about adding a refinement option for video's or an icon of some sort, and I've passed that on to the relevant team. I'm not sure if it's something that's already on their roadmap, but I can see how it would be helpful. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 5 of 18
latest reply

About Video in listings

velvet@ebay   Appreciate the help..........obviously don't like answer, lol .  As Hawaii says.......there are now 39,000 listings up with See video....most of which (on the first page) are item videos, not videos for sale....

But, if you're willing to check again...........what about "See it Work"  ?????

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

About Video in listings

velvet@ebayI thank you for passing my suggestion to the team, but  I've been making this suggestion since ebay first announced they would give us ebay-hosted video in the gallery.  

Putting "see video" in the description does not really address the issue here. If the buyer is looking at the description, the buyer has already clicked into the listing. The issue is: how do we let the buyer know that he should click into the listing if he wants to see a video?

If ebay follows my suggestion, that is solved. A buyer will know while he is searching that he can see a video in a particular listing. 

If ebay follows this suggestion:

1. Sellers will no longer need to put "see video" in the title, which ebay does not really approve and which can lead to totally avoidable enforcement issues....avoidable IF ebay provides what I'm suggesting. That will save ebay time and effort when it comes to policy enforcement, and will save sellers the hassle of dealing with such enforcement.

2. Buyers will have an easy way to find video-enabled listings while searching. This is likely to increase conversions rates for sellers and thus increase FVFs for ebay. 

3. Some listings benefit from videos even if the item has no motion. For example, I have a listing up now where I use video with narration to point out the flaws on the item. I have photos too, but this helps the buyer see exactly where the flaws are on the item, how noticeable they are from different angles, etc. Buyers---especially on ebay, with its lack of videos compared to many other sites---are likely to be pleased, or at least intrigued, to see a video icon in search results for an item like that, and will be more likely to click through to the listing.

4. I realize implementing this might take a little time. But I've tried, and I can think of no good reason NOT to do it. Nor has ebay ever given me a reason NOT to do it.

5. This is one reason why I'd like to KNOW if this is on the road map, and if so, when---roughly speaking---can we expect to see it.  I've made this point many times: Q4 will be here soon, and this could increase conversions during that important time of the year. Can you at least give me some hope that we might see this by then?  Or maybe ask the team what objection they have to what appears to be a clear benefit for ebay and for sellers?

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

About Video in listings

I do not have videos in my listings as nothing that I sell lends itself to videos.

BUT

Whenever I search the web for anything and a video is available I get a picture with an arrow in the middle (implying that it is a video). What about that type of picture to the picture gallery?

Yellow Submarine Beatles coffee mug single.jpg

(No, in this case it is not a video. I'm just suggesting the visual.)

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

About Video in listings

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

velvet@ebayI thank you for passing my suggestion to the team, but  I've been making this suggestion since ebay first announced they would give us ebay-hosted video in the gallery.  

Putting "see video" in the description does not really address the issue here. If the buyer is looking at the description, the buyer has already clicked into the listing. The issue is: how do we let the buyer know that he should click into the listing if he wants to see a video?

If ebay follows my suggestion, that is solved. A buyer will know while he is searching that he can see a video in a particular listing. 

If ebay follows this suggestion:

1. Sellers will no longer need to put "see video" in the title, which ebay does not really approve and which can lead to totally avoidable enforcement issues....avoidable IF ebay provides what I'm suggesting. That will save ebay time and effort when it comes to policy enforcement, and will save sellers the hassle of dealing with such enforcement.

2. Buyers will have an easy way to find video-enabled listings while searching. This is likely to increase conversions rates for sellers and thus increase FVFs for ebay. 

3. Some listings benefit from videos even if the item has no motion. For example, I have a listing up now where I use video with narration to point out the flaws on the item. I have photos too, but this helps the buyer see exactly where the flaws are on the item, how noticeable they are from different angles, etc. Buyers---especially on ebay, with its lack of videos compared to many other sites---are likely to be pleased, or at least intrigued, to see a video icon in search results for an item like that, and will be more likely to click through to the listing.

4. I realize implementing this might take a little time. But I've tried, and I can think of no good reason NOT to do it. Nor has ebay ever given me a reason NOT to do it.

5. This is one reason why I'd like to KNOW if this is on the road map, and if so, when---roughly speaking---can we expect to see it.  I've made this point many times: Q4 will be here soon, and this could increase conversions during that important time of the year. Can you at least give me some hope that we might see this by then?  Or maybe ask the team what objection they have to what appears to be a clear benefit for ebay and for sellers?

The most I can do is pass your feedback on @my-cottage-books-and-antiques. If they come back letting me know if it's on the road map or not, I'll follow-up with you here. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 9 of 18
latest reply

About Video in listings

Visual something needed to indicate, without a doubt.  Nobody needs more confusion in their lives =).

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

About Video in listings

I got the cup.

Where is my video ?????    😂🤣☹️

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

About Video in listings

Amazing idea, not without its huge complication.  I swear if I had a video of this one item I found, it would have sold for double what it did.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

About Video in listings

velvet@ebay  Thanks velvet, I appreciate the effort. Hope they get back to you.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

About Video in listings

@dhbookds wrote:

velvet@ebay   Appreciate the help..........obviously don't like answer, lol .  As Hawaii says.......there are now 39,000 listings up with See video....most of which (on the first page) are item videos, not videos for sale....

But, if you're willing to check again...........what about "See it Work"  ?????

Hey @dhbookds! They came back saying that none of the suggestions you've provided flat out violate policy. They're just suggesting sellers focus on the item itself, rather than the fact that there's a video. If you want to add something about the video to your title and it ends up causing issues or is removed, then you could reach out to support at that time to get clarification on why the listing was removed. 

If I get any news about the possibility of video icons being added, or an option to filter listings by video, then I'll be sure to share that with you all here. Thanks!

Velvet,
eBay
Message 14 of 18
latest reply

About Video in listings

Thanks, Velvet...

Message 15 of 18
latest reply