cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AI-Generated descriptions

Wonder how that experience will turn out? 

I won't know right away because I list using a desktop PC. Maybe people using the app can report what it's like.

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: AI-Generated descriptions

I'm no Luddite, but I dislike the AI descriptions I've read so far. There's a sameness to them, and they all sound like bad movie trailers or television commercials. Too much added nonsense and needless puffery.

Maybe it's the future, but I would much rather buy from a seller who used their own mind and their own words to describe their own item.

Message 2 of 37
latest reply

I fear the day when they all start reading like J. Peterman catalog descriptions.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 3 of 37
latest reply

I've used it around 10 times now and the descriptions so far are great. There is no way I can write a description as thorough as the ones they inserted.

Message 4 of 37
latest reply

How do the descriptions compare with those attached to many items (I'm thinking books) in Ebay's catalog?

Message 5 of 37
latest reply

Read about peoples' experiences here:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/ChatGPT-AI-Description-Generator-Now-Available-In-eBay-App/m-p...

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 6 of 37
latest reply

Personally I'm awaiting for the Antonym's to trundle into the world dictionaries...

"Intelligence Artificial:  Human beings who's logic, thoughts, incurred actions and emotions are wirelessly tethered to their cellphones.

See Also:  Apple Minded, Ann Droid and Cell Cloned."

Message 7 of 37
latest reply

So if we use the eBay AI listing tool, does that mean no more IND claims ???

Or since eBay supplied the description THEY should be held responsible for those returns ??? 

VERY GREY AREA !!!!

Message 8 of 37
latest reply

It's hard enough to get a buyer to read a short concise description, never mind the AI storybook edition.

Message 9 of 37
latest reply

@keziak wrote:

How do the descriptions compare with those attached to many items (I'm thinking books) in Ebay's catalog?

Can't speak to the AI, but I'm sure you know the book catalog is filled with errors.

Message 10 of 37
latest reply

@lux.ra_14 wrote:

@keziak wrote:

Can't speak to the AI, but I'm sure you know the book catalog is filled with errors.

@lux.ra_14 

I recently went to use a an ISBN for a book listing. Prior to sending to ebay I always review. The ISBN categorized it as an eBook. It definitely was not. If we can't trust ISBN's as being accurate how could we ever trust AI for being 100 % accurate. Maybe a disclaimer with each AI generated listings is in order. Please review with several grains of salt or even at your own risk.

-Lotz

Message 11 of 37
latest reply

They covered themselves on that.

What if my listing is inaccurate because of the automatically-generated information?

Our goal is to put industry-leading tools at your fingertips to streamline how you list. While these new features can assist in suggesting listing details, AI doesn’t always get it right. It's important to double-check and ensure all information is correct before your listing goes live. Remember, sellers are responsible for the accuracy of their listings.

Message 12 of 37
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@lux.ra_14 wrote:

@keziak wrote:

@lux.ra_14 

I recently went to use a an ISBN for a book listing. Prior to sending to ebay I always review. The ISBN categorized it as an eBook. It definitely was not. If we can't trust ISBN's as being accurate how could we ever trust AI for being 100 % accurate. Maybe a disclaimer with each AI generated listings is in order. Please review with several grains of salt or even at your own risk.

-Lotz

Addendum

The other comparison I stand by happens when you create a listing in one category and ebay moves to new different modified category. When it was created originally it was done so accurately and correctly. Now very likely no longer true. Seller is still responsible if something doesn't jive.

Message 13 of 37
latest reply

thanks! I don't have time right  now to read all 80+ posts but will do so after work.

Message 14 of 37
latest reply

@keziak wrote:

Wonder how that experience will turn out?

For this seller below, at least: Not well. (I am not identifying him or her for obvious reasons. Color of text below should be self-explanatory.)

Seller's AI-generated description:

Introducing the Kalorik Personal Blender - a versatile and powerful kitchen appliance perfect for creating a variety of delicious drinks and dishes. With a 500W motor and four stainless steel blades, this blender can handle everything from soups and sauces to smoothies and frozen drinks. It comes with two 20oz BPA-free Tritan sport lid cups, making it easy to take your creations on the go.

This personal blender is made by Kalorik and comes with a 1-year manufacturer warranty. It has a sleek black design and is made in China. The blender is easy to use with one speed setting and weighs 8lbs. With its electric power source and 120V voltage, this blender will quickly become a staple in your kitchen.

Buyer's feedback: He said the items was new, but the item was dirty of food. He sold a item 'new' but is not new

Seller's AI-generated description:

Experience relaxation in the comfort of your own home with the SereneLife SLISAU35BK Full Size Portable Steam Sauna AC. This portable sauna is perfect for those who want to enjoy a spa experience without leaving their home. With its easy set-up and convenient design, you can now enjoy the benefits of a sauna anywhere you go.

The SereneLife SLISAU35BK Portable Sauna comes in a sleek black color and features a durable build from high-quality materials. It is equipped with an AC to provide you with a comfortable and relaxing experience. Whether you're looking to detoxify, relieve stress, or improve your skin's health, this portable sauna is the perfect solution for you.

Buyer's feedback: Missing a leg, bag was also ripped

Seller's AI description:

This 1995 Sony WM-FX211 Walkman is a must-have for any cassette tape enthusiast. It features both AM and FM radio capabilities and a headphone jack for private listening. The Walkman also includes a custom bundle that comes with MDR-013 headphones and a car charger, making it perfect for on-the-go listening.

The black Walkman is a vintage item and was manufactured in Malaysia. It is in good working order and has been tested with cassette tapes. This portable audio player is part of the Walkman product line and can be used with Type A plugs. Keep the music playing with this classic Walkman.

Buyer's feedback: The tape Walkman does not work the play button does not stay up and the Walkman does not close

Obviously the seller needed to read what he was given and decide if it was really accurate. But as I suspected (and others have already said) offering this AI interface allows bad or lazy sellers to make the 'buying experience' (as Ebay likes to call it) even worse than before.

Message 15 of 37
latest reply