cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4% penalty

where the heck does ebay all of a sudden get the right to charge people an extra 4% charge on sales for a rule that they made.is that right?you figure that there is 100,000 sellers that fall into this category do you realize what a windfall that is.not for ebay of course because they are making so much money off of us fools that they can't carry it all to the bank.can you imagine how much money they make?think about it if every seller just gave ebay 100$ how many hundreds of thousands of sellers are there.and now they have the right to charge another 4% time to bale from ebay i've had enough.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

4% penalty

I'm assuming you fell below standard and are liable for the additional 4% FVF.

Which would you prefer? Being able to still sell here but with a penalty, or being kicked off for being below standard as they used to?

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

4% penalty

@mrplates101,

I am guessing eBay applied the 4% fee, because of the negative you recently received. Maybe if you tell us what happened, there is a chance of getting the negative and defect removed. 

Why did they think your Math was wrong, and why did you cancel the transaction?  You canceling the transaction is probably why your rating is below standard. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 18
latest reply

4% penalty

@mudshark61369 wrote:

@mrplates101,

I am guessing eBay applied the 4% fee, because of the negative you recently received. Maybe if you tell us what happened, there is a chance of getting the negative and defect removed. 

Why did they think your Math was wrong, and why did you cancel the transaction?  You canceling the transaction is probably why your rating is below standard. 

One transaction isn't going to put somebody below standard ... there has to be more to the story.

@mrplates101

What does your dashboard say?

As far as eBay having "the right" ... it's their site, they make the rules (and the fees).

The change to charging a 4% penalty was announced in the Spring Seller Update on February 28th.

http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2017spring/

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

4% penalty

At least now if you get the penalty, you can suck up the extra fees and work your socks off to get to above standard.

eBay probably figured they'd make more that way than summarily kicking sellers off (some of whom fell victim to eBay's own errors)

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

4% penalty

Mornin,

As others have mentioned, we are not quite sure of all the details that have put you into the "Accelerated" FVF percentage so it is difficult to respond in ways that may help you work through this now.

What most of us do know is that even though ebay is not the most seller friendly they do provide in advance how they are going to keep us sellers in line.

It is PARAMOUNT for sellers in the past 2 years especially to be proactive in balancing the changes/implications that ebay continues to impose/implement with our own selling practices.

Many of these new changes are not easy to work through but many sellers have learned to adjust their business approach here to stay clear of most of the pitfalls.

Those of us that have been proactive are more focused on things such as horrible sales and the continued decline of exposure here. We have learned to work with ebay in their sometimes punitive requirements yet still sit here wondering where the sales are.

In summary...maybe having more details on what happened will allow posters to help you turn things around but you also have to be open to suggestions.

Mr C
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

4% penalty

@ymeagainlord wrote:
At least now if you get the penalty, you can suck up the extra fees and work your socks off to get to above standard.

eBay probably figured they'd make more that way than summarily kicking sellers off (some of whom fell victim to eBay's own errors)

Yeah, and I'm still trying to figure out how eBay charging more fees but allowing below standard sellers to stay makes for a good buying experience?   KWIM?  I'd love to hear the justification for that! 

“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent” ― Madeleine K. Albright

Great! 45.8% down over the same time last year with 2x+ items listed. Are you impressed? I'm certainly not!
Message 7 of 18
latest reply

4% penalty

Is it possible to ask eBay to evaluate your account early?  

Our next evaluation is May 22nd and will be "Above Standard".  

We missed May by .03%.

Not 3%.

.03%

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

4% penalty

@mrplates101 wrote:

where the heck does ebay all of a sudden get the right to charge people an extra 4% charge on sales for a rule that they made.is that right?

@mrplates101

They have the right because it's their website, and they announced the 4% penalty months ago. You seriously think they don't have the right to do that?

It's not a windfall if those below standard sellers cause buyers to shop elsewhere. This is an extra incentive to either get your act together or move on. 

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

4% penalty

@llllady wrote:
Yeah, and I'm still trying to figure out how eBay charging more fees but allowing below standard sellers to stay makes for a good buying experience?

I fail to see how the additional 4% fee on Below Standard sellers would change the buying experience, unless eBay has also changed how they treat below standard sellers. 

Is that the case? Is eBay letting them stay indefinitely or something?

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

4% penalty

Don't worry @mrplates101.  Your listings probably moved to the top, above mine, because eBay makes more money from your sales.  That's how it works around here.Smiley Frustrated

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

4% penalty

I'm surprised it isn't more. There really isn't a good excuse to fall below standard. That's what the dashboard is for.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

4% penalty

Must be below standard.
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

4% penalty

They get the right because they own the site and make the rules. That's where they get the right.

Just don't go Below Standard and you won't get charged 4% more. Wishing you luck.
Message 14 of 18
latest reply

4% penalty

As this is EBAY's platform we personally do not have a problem with them setting rules. However we do have problems with rules that are put into place that will penalize us and other sellers for doing absolutely nothing wrong. Let me explain, we currently only sell items that on average are less than $10.00 each. With EBAY's policies that are in place a buyer can open a return case claiming a SNAD, true or not the seller will lose this case every time. As our items are inexpensive the cost to return $2.66 is a significant amount compared to the amount of money the buyer has paid for the item. Therefore from our experience 90% of the SNAD's we recieve are falsified simply to avoid the return shipping cost. In return EBAY's new metrics for return percentages that penalize sellers by charging them an additional 4% in fees is simply unfair, especially when EBAY's one sided policy has created the problem.

This last May we downsized our store of over 2,500 items from yearly subscription anchor store to a month to month premium store and currently will not list a single item over 1,000 free items per month that we are provided. This was in response to all the changes in the last update.

As we said previously we feel the additional 4% penalty being applied unjustly to sellers is the last straw. We simply cannot afford to pay additional fees for something that is out of our control. Unless this policy is reversed, which we highly doubt that it will be, we will sell through our current listings and our back stock and will move on. EBAY please step back, look at the big picture and quit running your sellers out the door!!!

Message 15 of 18
latest reply