cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

15 year seller being treated like new seller.. funds held 3 weeks

ive been selling for 15 years... have a 100 percent feedback record and always scored as above average.. plus i have a back up credit card on my paypal acount in case i need to refund a buyer and paypal does not have enough.. 

SO WHY IS PAY PAL TREATING ME LIKE A NEW BUYER>>>> THEY ARE HOLDING MY FUNDS FOR THREE WEEKS  AND CANNOT TELL ME WHY EVEN AFTER I CALLED AND ASKED

THEY WANT ME TO SHIP FIRST>> WITH NO EXPLANATION>> WHY

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

PayPal not eBay did it I think 

i asked if it will keep happening 

they said they don’t know 

only sold the one item today with the hold

sold something last week it was fine

i see others are having same issue 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 9 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

@theconncatlady wrote:

ive been selling for 15 years... have a 100 percent feedback record and always scored as above average.. plus i have a back up credit card on my paypal acount in case i need to refund a buyer and paypal does not have enough.. 

SO WHY IS PAY PAL TREATING ME LIKE A NEW BUYER>>>> THEY ARE HOLDING MY FUNDS FOR THREE WEEKS  AND CANNOT TELL ME WHY EVEN AFTER I CALLED AND ASKED

eBay is never going to explain to you what triggered the holds, nor should they IMHO. 

If eBay explained what triggered a hold, that would simply give unscrupulous sellers valuable information about how to avoid them - which would defeat the purpose of the holds in the first place.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

The buyer has paid, and you have to ship within your handling time.

Paypal releases the funds to you within 3 days of online tracking showing delivery.

If you have taken a selling break, eBay considers you a new seller.

Paypal also uses creditworthiness to withhold funds, even if you didn't give them your SSN...it's part of how they manage their risk involved in, essentially, providing a seller with a line of credit.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@theconncatlady wrote:

eBay is never going to explain to you what triggered the holds, nor should they IMHO. 

If eBay explained what triggered a hold, that would simply give unscrupulous sellers valuable information about how to avoid them - which would defeat the purpose of the holds in the first place.

I disagree. If the OP has been selling for 15 years without any long breaks, something is not right.

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@theconncatlady wrote:

So you're saying that all sellers, even 15 year 100% FB sellers should be treated like they are "unscrupulous"? Really?

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@theconncatlady

Is the hold on all your payments recieved or just some of them? 

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@theconncatlady wrote:

How delightfully Orwellian.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@skatefool wrote:

@luckythewinner wrote:

@theconncatlady wrote:

How delightfully Orwellian.

It's not an unusual concept, actually - the idea that you do not give people information that may help them defeat a system.

You've probably noticed it when trying to login into a website with the wrong password - the website knows you got the username right and the password wrong, but they won't tell you that.

If they did that would just help hackers by telling them which part they had already guessed right, and make it easier for them to focus on the one part they know they got wrong.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

PayPal not eBay did it I think 

i asked if it will keep happening 

they said they don’t know 

only sold the one item today with the hold

sold something last week it was fine

i see others are having same issue 

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

If it's a Paypal Hold, did you ask PP about it? Or eBay?

They are no longer the same company.

Sounds as if the hold was on just one item-- was it unusually expensive for you? Or was it an unusual product?

A PP Hold should have no effect on your eBay sales. Theoretically.

An eBay Hold is usually reported as a restriction on the number and value of new listings you can make.

Are those normal?

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

This is a longshot but, if you've not had anything unusual happen lately and this was triggered thru an error on Paypal's end...

Call Ebay - get thru to to the Trust & Safety dept - If they don't see anything that may have caused this... ask real nice if they will initiate a call to Paypal on your behalf - inquiring as to the cause while you wait on hold.

They have the ability to do this... especially on behalf of a long time seller with a spotless record but you have to be nice about asking.... it may be that there was an error in an account #  problem and T & S can discuss confidential things that neither Ebay or Paypal will reveal to you.  But it is the best way to check for an error on Paypal's part.... neither wants to take the time to look and often you get no answers but Paypal seems very responsive in looking at an account and fessing up to Ebay Trust and Safety... rather than yourself as an individual.

Sounds like I have been there a few times?  Lol - yep.  Hope it works out for you:)

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@theconncatlady wrote:

We are all just stabbing in the dark but maybe the hold is because of the buyer and not you. 

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Are you certain it isn't an eCheck? And, if it's the Coach bag that sold at a low price, I wonder if they're holding the funds in case the buyer claims it isn't authentic? With so many knock-offs on the market, AND with eBay's new authentication service, holding funds may be a new thing for designer handbags that aren't authenticated...?

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@theconncatlady wrote:

I responded to the other thread where another boardie posted about you. At the time of my response, I didn't realize that you had posted your own thread. 

I referred you to the fashion board but I'll also comment here. 

You've gotten good advice about the hold, why you got it and how to go about appealing for the release. 

But I'd like to offer some unsolicited but DEFINITELY helpful constructive criticism. Some of my comments aren't going to be what you want to hear.

I did a bit of poking around and found the listing in question as well as your other listings. 

When selling highly faked brands, it's important for you to post LOTS of pictures and a full description of all the details.

1. Pictures - YOUR OWN pictures of the actual bag. (The $44 bag you sold used pictures taken from this listing. Not only is picture theft infringement and can get your listing removed. I see that you bought that bag but you still don't have the right to use their pictures without permission. Additionally, having bought the bag in August, the condition may have changed with use in 3 months.)

2. Pictures should include: front, back, bottom, sides, corners, interior, hardware, legible full creed with serial number and any "issues" such as stains, soiling, scuffs, etc. Ebay allows you to upload 12 pictures to your listings free of charge. Take advantage of the freebie. 

3. Description - "silver leather coach shoulder bag" isn't enough information. Description should include material, color, hardware color, style number (research), style name (research), measurements, pockets, storage, description of issues.

One of the best pieces of advice I got when I first started selling was to take pictures as though there's no description and describe the item as though there are no pictures.

Again, I'll recommend the fashion board for handbag-specific advice. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 15 of 15
latest reply