cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12 pound 16x15x15 box.....best way to ship?

I have a BCD (scuba) to sell.   The box weights 12 lbs.  The shipping costs I see are atrocious.  Does anyone have suggestion on which is the best way to ship it?

44 REPLIES 44

Is this the air tank? Can that be sent through the mail?

Message 2 of 45
latest reply

When I ship a package that size and weight, it goes UPS Ground.  

Message 3 of 45
latest reply

Buoyancy Compensator DeviceBuoyancy Compensator Device

My method for calculating shipping costs is to choose a far away point and use that as the “worst case scenario” for shipping costs.   I don’t know how others do it,or even if this logic is flawed, but that is what I do.   As I am on the East coast, I choose California as my shipping point (90210 because, well it’s easy to remember lol).   Doing that, the shipping cost on this vest is 43.00.   UGH.   

The best way should be pretty easy for you to figure out.

Message 6 of 45
latest reply

Whenever I have a heavier item that has to go a long distance 

we usually ship with Fed-Ex Home Delivery.

I am on the east coast.

Message 7 of 45
latest reply

Yep.  Cheapest.   I just got a “shock” seeing the 43.00 price.  I suppose, if someone really wants the item, they will pay it.   Or, someone closer will purchase it, and it will not be such a bite.  I have seen other people say that Fed Ex or UPS Ground is brutal on packages and I do not want to send it where it will be vulnerable.  Even though I will pad it and wrap it, it is a life saving device and I take that seriously.

I 've shipped breakables ( I sell mostly china ) with Fed-Ex for 6 years.

Lots of them have went to CA from where I am in PA.

I've never had one incidence of breakage or rough handling.

Others may have had a different experience, or maybe I've just been lucky, lol.

Message 9 of 45
latest reply

There's no point in focusing on the worst-case scenario, i.e., shipping to Zone 8 @ $43.   Just set up the listing with calculated shipping so that closer buyers see a more reasonable price.  

For instance, via USPS postage for Parcel Select will range from $11.44 (Zones 1 & 2) to $23 for Zone 5 to $43 for Zone 8.  In fact, the prices would be the same for Priority Mail if you're shipping to Zones 1 - 4, so offer that as a second choice unless this is an item that must be shipped via ground methods..

Message 10 of 45
latest reply

Easiest way if not yet listed is just enter the boxed weight and select USPS retail ground no need to add the box demensions... Buyers will be shown the shipping based on where they live...

Message 11 of 45
latest reply

BCD=Boyency Compensator or Scuba Vest without a tank.  And they can be very heavy.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 12 of 45
latest reply

@bubbleman2010wrote:

Easiest way if not yet listed is just enter the boxed weight and select USPS retail ground no need to add the box demensions... Buyers will be shown the shipping based on where they live...

Calculated shipping for Retail Ground will require the dimensions, and with good reason since rates depend on package volume.  The length-plus-girth of this package is 76 inches, so there's no surcharge for Retail Ground or Parcel Select, but there would be one if the L+G was 84 inches, which isn't much bigger.

Message 13 of 45
latest reply

@currencyoftimewrote:

Buoyancy Compensator DeviceBuoyancy Compensator Device

Would the 'bouyancy compensator device' be the vest or the other 2 that I see that should work fairly well?   Smiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOL

I wouldn't have posted the simple solution had the package been oversized. No sense in adding more cornfusion with something that isn't. UPS will be a buck or two cheaper,but really beat stuff up and if you ever file a insurance claim its always denied due to improper packaging...

Message 15 of 45
latest reply