cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099-Ks: eBay Over Corrects

My selling ID just got this message, in my eBay messages (yes, BTW, I am in California):

"Hi, (selling ID), 

A recent technical issue resulted in a 1099-K form being incorrectly provided to you. Please disregard the incorrect 1099-K form. The incorrect 1099-K form was not sent to the IRS or California Franchise Tax Board.
       We’re working to resolve the issue and ensure that it will not happen again. Unless you had more than $20,000 in gross sales and 200 transactions in 2021, we will not submit a 1099-K form to the IRS or the California Franchise Tax Board.
       We sincerely apologize for the error and any inconvenience this may have caused.
As always, thanks for selling on eBay, and for being part of the eBay community.
The eBay Selling Team"

Wut?  I haven't received a 1099-K from eBay for 2021.  I had nowhere close to $20,000 in sales and way, way fewer than 200 transactions.   I have double checked the messages for my selling ID through eBay to see if a 1099-K snuck in while I was at lunch.  I even just checked my actual mailbox here at home to see if maybe eBay mailed me a paper 1099-K.  Nope.  Nothing even close.   

eBay clearly has over-corrected.  If I didn't get a 1099-K for 2021 in the first place, there's no reason for eBay to send me a message telling me to disregard a piece of paper I never got.   I imagine they have sent this message to maybe all of their sellers who are in California.  I know it's nothing, and I'll just move the e-mail into a folder to be saved.   But I sure can see how some users can be in a panic!

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

The whole 1099 situation is a bit of a mess at the moment and there does not seem to be any logical pattern to how eBay generated the 1099's or whom they generated them for. EBay is working to correct the issues but 1099 or no 1099 eBay income should still be reported on your taxes. Apparently a lot of sellers have not reported in the past and the 1099 situation is causing additional angst. 

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

eBay is removing the form from your Payments tab so all evidence would be gone by the time you got that communication. Had you checked your Payments tax page the last couple of days to see if a form was there?

I have my 1099s but haven't yet gotten messages from eBay to let me know they're available. Usually that takes about a week.

eBay is not over-correcting. eBay is blundering all over the place and not even acknowledging the issues. The 2021 1099-K rollout has been a disaster on multiple levels.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@monroe67 

My created-in-error 1099K only appeared electronically--in Payments:Reports:1099k's.  And now it's gone.

I too got the sorry-for-the-inconvenence email you just got.

I never received a 1099K in snail mail or learned about it via eBay messages.  The only reason I looked for it in my Payments reports was because I read this board.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Ditto, ditto, ditto. 

I didn't even think to look in Payments / Reports before reading it here.

If eBay did create and send me a 1099-K for 2021, it has been removed.  

Thanks for your comments!

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Got the "We're sorry, our error email" on the feb 4th.  It did come snail mail about 2 weeks later, approx. feb 17th.

The email says it wasn't sent to the IRS.   Hmmm, we'll see I guess.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Did you get the 1099 by snail mail? And did it have corrected box checked?

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

An now this has happened again for 2022 tax year as the IRS delays the changes. A couple of weeks ago I eBay said I would not receive a 1099. Today I received a 1099.  I have sold no where near the 20K. Crazy Ill leave it to my tax guy. I doube eBay will send corrected 1099's.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Your listings show that you are located in Illinois, which has set a threshold of  $1000.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Everyone needs to check their local state regulations on the threshold because all 51 taxing authorities are coming for that income not just the Fed.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply