cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099-K Reported Numbers Do Not Match

Has anybody else recently got their 1099K from eBay and noticed that the reported numbers are doubled?

With the records I keep i had a good idea of what my gross sales would be this year. The #s that were sent on my 1099K however did not match my records or even the records on eBay own sales reports. My best guess is if you look at the first picture you'll notice how each "Box" is listed and then repeated. The Box 1a on the list 17,356.46 is the correct number. But if you look at the second picture Box 1a reports double that amount 34712.92. Who should I contact to get this corrected? Thanks

Screen Shot 2022-01-31 at 8.33.24 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-31 at 8.33.45 PM.png

Message 1 of 109
latest reply
108 REPLIES 108

Re: 1099-K Reported Numbers Do Not Match

@singular-source wrote:

The questions, the discrepancies, the influx of millions of 1099s from so many companies...how do you not see the burden exactly? Venmo, Paypal, Uber, Doordash, etsy...the list goes on and on.  Incorrect information being sent to the IRS...god its endless.

The millions of 1099k's that eBay issue are a pittance compared to the total amount of tax slips issued each year.

Personally I get almost 100 tax slips and I'm not a big investor. I do hold shares in a number of companies, I have several bank accounts plus I hold some bonds. I get a slip for almost all of them.

In additionally, eBay will submit their 1099's electronically so almost zero human interaction is required.

I can't find a number for the quantity of "information returns" (1099, etc) but given that almost 250 Million tax returns are filed it must be in the BILLIONS, an additional 5 million from eBay is a drop in the bucket.

Message 46 of 109
latest reply

they record the transaction amount when the transaction occurs not when the money actually moves.

Exactly. Except Ebay’s records show when money was moved from Ebay to seller account and not when the transaction happened i.e. when buyer paid for the item and that is the reason why the monthly report has mixed months in them. Ebay should correct either „covered period” or they should move transactions in each report.384C381E-2594-4705-9F56-4535C928547B.jpeg6E0BD3A3-2A26-4A3D-A7D4-E16AFCD14E5C.jpeg

January should be about january. February about february etc especially if you state that covered period is from 1st of this month to the last. I open their reports and they mix 2 months together. Paypal was keeping transaction in the same month and not mix them up— i had no problem with them.

Message 47 of 109
latest reply

I wonder what the most popular topic for the Chat tomorrow is going to be............

Good luck to all of you that are dealing with this.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 48 of 109
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

jasmen@ebay wrote:

Hey @coffeebean832 we reached out for the best course of action, and the Payments team came back with this:

“If a member feels there's a discrepancy with their IRS Form 1099-K, they should review their payout report to identify which transactions are in question. If there is still a discrepancy after reviewing their payout report, please contact us and provide us with the disputed transactions and the reason why they feel they are not correctly reflected.”

Once sellers have the disputed transactions they'll want to reach out to the Payments team directly

Thanks! 

How/where do they do that?  can you give a link? 

This is the link. You would need to use the chat or phone options at the bottom of the page.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/ebay-form-1099k?id=4794

It may be fine for sellers that find a rare discrepancy with an amount- but when there's an issue with multiple sellers seeing everything duplicated, I hope that eBay will address that without each seller having to go through that hassle.

The thing about that page- under the section "what's included in form 1099-K" it gives the boiler plate info that Jasmen posted yesterday and there's a "contact us" link in that section- but when you click "contact us" it directs you to the top of the page. That's confusing and not helpful. It should direct sellers to the bottom of the page- or simply omit the link that goes nowhere and add text that tells sellers to use the contact options at the bottom of the page.

Message 49 of 109
latest reply

Hi everyone- we’re still looking into this.
I appreciate everyone taking their time to let us know about the errors you’re seeing. I’ve gathered the user ID’s of members reporting incorrect data on their 1099-k form and I have sent this for further investigation. Thanks again for working with me!

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 50 of 109
latest reply

Thanks for working on this jasmen@ebay. Could you please escalate the feedback about the help page and the contact link from my above post #50 to see if you can get that page fixed?

Message 51 of 109
latest reply

I AM HAVING THE SAME ISSUE, WHERE DO WE FIND OUT THE TOTALS FOR EACH MONTH, NEVER HAD TO DO THIS......I NEED HELP TOO

Message 52 of 109
latest reply

1099 Numbers do not match at all.  Many monthly totals are higher than the gross income (including sales tax).  This is from their own monthly statements.  I do believe that it would be illegal for Greedbay to misrepresent numbers on 1099's.  A customer rep has stated that they are looking into this (that means you will never hear from them again, just like the customer service number they provide that hangs up on you.) Good luck people, you are going to need it ;o(

Message 53 of 109
latest reply

Yep they also tell you to go check transactions but you can’t get them as their record goes only up to 90 days backwards (I have to search up my emails).  Another thing is how are you supposed to let them know what is wrong? In writing?—mailed to where? In email? What is the email address? Call?—who do you call since reps are untrained on what 1099k is and what to do?

Message 54 of 109
latest reply

Thank you for escalating the issue. I contacted eBay support Tuesday evening and the support rep I spoke with also escalated the issue and told me I would get a call back from someone in 24-48 hours. I still haven't received a call back. Still no resolution. 

Message 55 of 109
latest reply

I received my physical 1099k in the mail today. Everything on it is doubled…

Message 56 of 109
latest reply

I was holding onto hope that the mailed copy would be correct. There goes that idea. I just want them to admit to the issue/problem and send a corrected 1099. I shouldn't be spending this much time and effort trying to fix their mistake.

Message 57 of 109
latest reply

@optimus.prime wrote:

I received my physical 1099k in the mail today. Everything on it is doubled…

That's not good news. This is obviously a systemic issue affecting a group of users, not an isolated incident. eBay needs to get on this. I keep finding threads where people said they contacted CS and they get one of two answers:

- eBay can't help and the seller needs to sort it out with their accountant

- The seller needs to submit individual line items to eBay to dispute the problem

This is a clear issue where every total is duplicated and you can see each line is duplicated in the screenshots that were posted. I'm disappointed that eBay Payments CS hasn't been made aware of the issue with some sort of memo so they can let people know when they call in that a ticket is opened and add that seller's ID to the ticket.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 58 of 109
latest reply

It looks like Ebay added the sales tax to my gross income. Totally annoying as this generated a 1099. I called Ebay CS who told me this has happened to many people. So unacceptable for a company of this size.

Message 59 of 109
latest reply

If it is because all your 'monthlies' are different, you can run a monthly report in the 1099 details. Those will be off because the amounts are from the 'deposited' date and not the transaction date.  Very doubtful that the tax was included. 

Message 60 of 109
latest reply