cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the penalty going to be for NOT using the offered shipping method?

in the 2018 summer update it says we must use the offered shipping service. What happens if a buyer makes a special request? For example I have USPS offered in the listing but every once in a while a buyer will ask if I can ship fedex.

Other times people would like a faster shipping method.  For example I may have first class offered or priority mail offered but may receive a request to have it shipped by express mail or priority mail. As a courtesy I have always honored special shipping requests at no additional charge wherever possible and reasonable (ie someone buys a $500 coin and wishes it shipped Priority mail instead of first class).

In my book listings I usually list for media mail but in some far locations I opt for priority mail if the book is expensive or the buyer is far and I don't want them to have to wait on slow media mail.

What will the penalty be for such actions? Does that penalty (if one exists) apply when a faster method is used?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

@coinslabz26 wrote:

in the 2018 summer update it says we must use the offered shipping service. What happens if a buyer makes a special request? For example I have USPS offered in the listing but every once in a while a buyer will ask if I can ship fedex.

Other times people would like a faster shipping method.  For example I may have first class offered or priority mail offered but may receive a request to have it shipped by express mail or priority mail. As a courtesy I have always honored special shipping requests at no additional charge wherever possible and reasonable (ie someone buys a $500 coin and wishes it shipped Priority mail instead of first class). 

I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but why not just list all the shipping options you're willing to handle for that listing? Each can be priced independently (that's automatic for calculated shipping; I assume that fixed price can be done that way too), so you won't be out of pocket if the buyer wants to upgrade his shipping choice before paying. 

I generally offer Priority Mail as a paid upgrade on my listings; First Class Package is offered free. Every now and then, a buyer pays to have Priority handling.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

@coinslabz26 wrote:

In my book listings I usually list for media mail but in some far locations I opt for priority mail if the book is expensive or the buyer is far and I don't want them to have to wait on slow media mail.

What will the penalty be for such actions? Does that penalty (if one exists) apply when a faster method is used?

@coinslabz26

Thanks for your question.  If your buyer makes a special request to use a carrier different from what you promised in your listing, then you should make sure you use the equivalent ship service option from the carrier requested by the buyer. For ex, if your listing had USPS PM then make sure you use a Fedex equivalent of PM shipping service to ship the item.

Using a shipping service option faster than what you offered in your listing is very good for buyer experience and is encouraged.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply