cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improvements to the Item Specific section of the new Unified Listing Experience

I have been very vocal and critical of the new unified listing tool as it was released on a desktop so I wanted to give credit where credit is due.

They just updated the Item specifics section to more closely resemble the classic listing tool. More of the fields are actually right on the main page instead of those disruptive popup boxes.  Instead the "see more" prompts for everything are now small dropdown boxes that are simple to navigate.

It makes the section so much easier to use, as it is more typical of a computer design interface instead of a mobile phone app.  It is definitely a giant step in the right direction.  We do not care if you want to change the style of the box to make it look more modern( rounded corners instead of gray square boxes etc.), but this listing tool must work and function as efficiently as the classic and be optimized to give us a superior desktop experience.

Several weeks ago- one of the design team members reached out to me to go over everything that we sellers were struggling with about the new tool.  We had a very nice zoom meeting with 6 other design team members where I was able to share my screen and walk them through a real world use of the listing flow and show them the pain points and the problems.

Its very possible that these changes were already in the works from previous feedback,  but it did show me that they truly do want to make the improvements that we need.   I think that they were probably shackled by the whole tech-led reimagination of ebay mantra and were told to make it mobile at all cost because its the wave of the future........ but it took our feedback to show them that its not always the best idea.   So please continue with all the feedback- they do listen!

Anyway- the point of this post is to say thank you for hearing us and we appreciate your continued support of us as you continue to update the other sections of the listing tool to better reflect a professional desktop workflow.

PS-- the shipping section NEEDS the redesign next, it has far too many complicated submenus and toggles and hidden features to be effective- when you get it closer to the classic and more like the redesigned item specifics and move most if not all to editable fields on the main screen, we will have a working listing tool that can be further tweaked and refined without as much urgency.

Thanks again

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Improvements to the Item Specific section of the new Unified Listing Experience

@siamjane8 

I'm glad you were able to directly meet with the design team to show them the issues first hand. I know you have "bled" the way through all the posts here and I'm super pleased eBay has listened.  Please keep after them.

Now I have a whole lot more work to do 😞  to update all my shared screenshots of the latest version of the tool.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Re: Improvements to the Item Specific section of the new Unified Listing Experience

@siamjane8 

Thank goodness for people like you.  Cannot thank you enough for the tenacity and championing the "cause" to evoke change!

Brava and THANK you, so very much!!

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 3 of 23
latest reply

It is completely not in my nature to be so persistent- I am about as laid back as you can get and its really not me anyway- they would never react on behalf of one or two people- I imagine that thousands and thousands of complaints rolled in over the last month- enough to get their attention. 

I t was just so ridiculous to force mobile app like that on your desktop users

Anyway- since we obviously have their ear- keep the feedback coming so we can get more improvements and get back to selling and not fighting with tools!

I think we have spoken probably almost in unity without even realizing it because the shortcomings of the tool were so obvious and in your face from the first click.

Thanks again for listening team- we are on the right path back to a desktop optimized listing tool- keep up with the changes and feel free to let us know what's in store so we dont have to worry about it. We know it takes time to make big adjustments- we just need to know that they are on the way

Shipping Section- soon please

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

A new fail in Item Specifics:

The ISBN field within the Books category does not open an input box.

ISBN on New tool.JPG

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 5 of 23
latest reply

@shipscript . I am having the same problem with entering ISBN numbers and I created a thread (didn't see your post): https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Can-t-enter-ISBN-when-creating-new-listing/m-p/32981440#M20122...

Just spoke to ebay rep for a second time. They recommend that anyone having this problem call in and report the issue to ebay. They are not aware of any "sitewide" issues with entering ISBN numbers, and they need more sellers to report the issue before they address what is obviously a glitch affecting multiple sellers. 

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

@tefka 

The easiest way to report this is to use the comment option on the new Unified listing tool.  The triple dots icon at the top has an option to offer feedback comments. Or, if you can still switch away from the tool, a comment box is available during the switch. I used both to offer my comments. I think the comment tool will capture your browser, but recommend stating your browser and version in the comments.

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

@shipscript Thank you, I was not aware of that feature. I have sent feedback. 

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

Hey everyone! Thanks everyone for reporting the issue.  The product & technology team has fixed the ISBN issue on the new listing tool - please try to list your item again. 

Devon,
eBay
Message 9 of 23
latest reply

devon@ebay 

thanks for the update.   

Has the design team expressed any time frames or details about what sections will be improved next?  I see that eCommercebytes.com has picked up on this thread and quoted much of it, as well as other topics related to the listing tool- so the visibility of the issues with it are expanding- this is a great opportunity for ebay to fast-track solutions and communication of such an important part of the ebay selling process.   

We appreciate so much the design fixes thus far and are anxiously awaiting further improvements- the classic tool had big shoes to fill because it worked so well and was a professionally formatted to desktop tool that the community as a whole loved. 

Its easier to be patient if we have an idea what is being worked on and when we can expect to see the changes.- thanks 

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

@siamjane8 wrote:

devon@ebay 

thanks for the update.   

Has the design team expressed any time frames or details about what sections will be improved next?  I see that eCommercebytes.com has picked up on this thread and quoted much of it, as well as other topics related to the listing tool- so the visibility of the issues with it are expanding- this is a great opportunity for ebay to fast-track solutions and communication of such an important part of the ebay selling process.   

We appreciate so much the design fixes thus far and are anxiously awaiting further improvements- the classic tool had big shoes to fill because it worked so well and was a professionally formatted to desktop tool that the community as a whole loved. 

Its easier to be patient if we have an idea what is being worked on and when we can expect to see the changes.- thanks 

Hey @siamjane8! I can get this information over to them and if there are any updates for this I can let you know. 

Devon,
eBay
Message 11 of 23
latest reply

devon@ebay 

Thanks Devon- I would appreciate it.   I think ebay had what they call a "roadmap" for the future of ebay. These things are very helpful in alleviating anxiety and helping sellers to adapt to changes instead of being shocked by changes. 

Whats done is done now but at least if we can know when we will get the improvements- it helps us to not be so negative about ebay.   

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

devon@ebay 

any word yet?    I just spent 25 minutes fighting with the new listing tool to figure out how to turn off global shipping program!   There was absolutely no intuitive way to deselect it......

When you are in the shipping section - you can change from global shipping to ebay international to international priority etc..... but you cannot just uncheck any of the boxes and have NO international shipping.  

You cannot deselect it from the main page- it just takes you to the page that offers other options but you still cant uncheck it.

I had to call ebay support and after 15 minutes, the agent stumbled on the only way- you have to hit edit all from the main page and then go to international shipping- BUT DO NOT CLICK ON IT- the only way to get rid of international shipping is to click on the X in the top right corner to toggle off that option!!! ( only makes sense if you\are funneled into a step by step linier process but that is not how listings work)

Completely ridiculous and unintuitive programming- we need this fixed immediately- this mobile design is just simply NOT compatible with desktop tools and computers- it is frustrating to use and wastes seller's time. Basically turned me off of even listing again today.    WE do not have the time to waste fighting with a poorly designed listing tool- this is a billion dollar company that is shooting itself in the foot(seller)

devon@ebay -  has there been any word on when we can expect this tool to be usable for us?   Since it has been forced on us last month we have sold around 350 listings and have only created about 20 new ones to replace them.... this is not sustainable for us or ebay as a selling platform.

Thanks- not trying to pest but this is serious to sellers, not a game or joke to be taken lightly.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

devon@ebay 

Now that you are here in the whirlwind of the new Unified Listing form, allow me to add another shortcoming to your ever broadening burden. When I create a coin listing in the Business Lister, I can select eBay Standard Envelope as a shipping service and can ship using that service. In the new Unified listing tool, eBay Standard Envelope is not available for coins. It IS available for trading cards, the original category to utilize that service. Are we to assume that "loose coin and currency" sellers should not be using the Unified Lister just yet, or is this an overlooked bug?

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

@siamjane8 wrote:

devon@ebay 

any word yet?    I just spent 25 minutes fighting with the new listing tool to figure out how to turn off global shipping program!   There was absolutely no intuitive way to deselect it......

When you are in the shipping section - you can change from global shipping to ebay international to international priority etc..... but you cannot just uncheck any of the boxes and have NO international shipping.  

You cannot deselect it from the main page- it just takes you to the page that offers other options but you still cant uncheck it.

I had to call ebay support and after 15 minutes, the agent stumbled on the only way- you have to hit edit all from the main page and then go to international shipping- BUT DO NOT CLICK ON IT- the only way to get rid of international shipping is to click on the X in the top right corner to toggle off that option!!! ( only makes sense if you\are funneled into a step by step linier process but that is not how listings work)

Completely ridiculous and unintuitive programming- we need this fixed immediately- this mobile design is just simply NOT compatible with desktop tools and computers- it is frustrating to use and wastes seller's time. Basically turned me off of even listing again today.    WE do not have the time to waste fighting with a poorly designed listing tool- this is a billion dollar company that is shooting itself in the foot(seller)

devon@ebay -  has there been any word on when we can expect this tool to be usable for us?   Since it has been forced on us last month we have sold around 350 listings and have only created about 20 new ones to replace them.... this is not sustainable for us or ebay as a selling platform.

Thanks- not trying to pest but this is serious to sellers, not a game or joke to be taken lightly.

Hey @siamjane8! I have not heard anything back yet but I do have this information sent out to our Selling team and will update once I have more information in regards to issues that you are experiencing. 

Devon,
eBay
Message 15 of 23
latest reply