cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay, please answer my question regarding returns and refunds with new seller update

Could someone from eBay please answer this: As a BUYER, if I purchase a designer handbag for $1000, regardless of whether the seller offers free returns or not, if I get the bag and it’s SNAD, is my only option to return for a partial refund at the sellers discretion?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

eBay, please answer my question regarding returns and refunds with new seller update

@justagirl12 wrote:

Could someone from eBay please answer this: As a BUYER, if I purchase a designer handbag for $1000, regardless of whether the seller offers free returns or not, if I get the bag and it’s SNAD, is my only option to return for a partial refund at the sellers discretion?

skynyrd4ever,

We know that when a buyer says an item is not as described, but the seller disagrees, it is one of the most difficult situations for both the buyer and seller.  In these cases, when you offer free returns and accept the return you are fully protected and we'll take care of the buyer.

If the item is returned in the same condition as you sent it, simply issue a full refund.  If the item is returned used or damaged issue a partial refund for the amount you feel is appropriate.  We will take care of the rest.

If the buyer asks us to "step in" because they felt it really was not as described and they want a full refund, we will resolve the issue directly with the buyer. We may give the buyer the rest of their refund or we may deny their request, but we'll pay for it, you won't have a buyer protection case to worry about, it will never affect your seller standards or your feedback reputation in these situations.

We'll monitor buyers who ask us to step often or file a lot of not as described cases, to ensure they're not taking advantage of the program and remove their feedback and defects.  We have developed ways to detect if a buyer is misusing the "significantly not as described" reason for a return early in a returns process, and have the ability to prevent them starting a return and may restrict them from buying further.  We are also publishing clearly defined guidelines for buyers about acceptable returns.

Although there are no limits on the number or frequency of partial refunds, we will monitor when partial refunds are given when many buyers are saying the items was actually not as described.  If we see unusual trends or an excessive number of buyer complaints regarding the refunds they receive, we will let the seller know so they can adjust their practices.  In some cases, sellers with excessive partial refunds may lose access to the partial refund feature and the associated protections.

Thanks,

CK

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@ckbremswrote:

@justagirl12wrote:

skynyrd4ever,

We know that when a buyer says an item is not as described, but the seller disagrees, it is one of the most difficult situations for both the buyer and seller.  In these cases, when you offer free returns and accept the return you are fully protected and we'll take care of the buyer.

If the item is returned in the same condition as you sent it, simply issue a full refund.  If the item is returned used or damaged issue a partial refund for the amount you feel is appropriate.  We will take care of the rest.

If the buyer asks us to "step in" because they felt it really was not as described and they want a full refund, we will resolve the issue directly with the buyer. We may give the buyer the rest of their refund or we may deny their request, but we'll pay for it, you won't have a buyer protection case to worry about, it will never affect your seller standards or your feedback reputation in these situations.

We'll monitor buyers who ask us to step often or file a lot of not as described cases, to ensure they're not taking advantage of the program and remove their feedback and defects.  We have developed ways to detect if a buyer is misusing the "significantly not as described" reason for a return early in a returns process, and have the ability to prevent them starting a return and may restrict them from buying further.  We are also publishing clearly defined guidelines for buyers about acceptable returns.

Although there are no limits on the number or frequency of partial refunds, we will monitor when partial refunds are given when many buyers are saying the items was actually not as described.  If we see unusual trends or an excessive number of buyer complaints regarding the refunds they receive, we will let the seller know so they can adjust their practices.  In some cases, sellers with excessive partial refunds may lose access to the partial refund feature and the associated protections.

Thanks,

CK

Hi CK, you’re not understanding my question. I’m asking, as a BUYER (not a seller) if I buy an expensive designer handbag and the seller sends me a knock off or a bag otherwise not as described, is it still up to the seller to determine how much of a refund I will get? Do you understand my question? Here’s an example..... Mary goes on eBay and sees a Chanel bag she can’t live without. The bag is $2000. She buys it. The seller (who offers free 30-day returns) sends a counterfeit bag instead of the real thing. Mary returns the counterfeit bag and the seller gets to decide how much she’ll refund Mary? If you are saying yes, this is how it will work, then somebody, somewhere at eBay, has lost their mind.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Hi CK, you’re not understanding my question. I’m asking, as a BUYER (not a seller) if I buy an expensive designer handbag and the seller sends me a knock off or a bag otherwise not as described, is it still up to the seller to determine how much of a refund I will get? Do you understand my question? Here’s an example..... Mary goes on eBay and sees a Chanel bag she can’t live without. The bag is $2000. She buys it. The seller (who offers free 30-day returns) sends a counterfeit bag instead of the real thing. Mary returns the counterfeit bag and the seller gets to decide how much she’ll refund Mary? If you are saying yes, this is how it will work, then somebody, somewhere at eBay, has lost their mind.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@justagirl12 wrote:

@ckbremswrote:

@justagirl12wrote:

skynyrd4ever,

Thanks,

CK

skynyrd4ever,

eBay employs sophisticated detection and a team of hundreds of people to prevent counterfeits from being listed on eBay.  If in the rare situation, a buyer receives a counterfeit, we will make sure they get a full refund. 

Thanks,

CK

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@ckbremswrote:

@justagirl12wrote:

@ckbremswrote:

@justagirl12wrote:

skynyrd4ever,

Thanks,

CK

skynyrd4ever,

eBay employs sophisticated detection and a team of hundreds of people to prevent counterfeits from being listed on eBay.  If in the rare situation, a buyer receives a counterfeit, we will make sure they get a full refund. 

Thanks,

CK

Thank you for your reply CK. But, there are counterfeit bags all over your site and worse, there are sellers who use stolen pictures to sell an item with no intent on ever shipping, or, if they do ship, it’s an empty box to a different address in buyers zip code and this I can vouch for because it just happened to me. Wait til these scammers catch on to this new rule. 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply