cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increased false SNADS likely because of forced " FREE 30 day RETURN"

Does anyone else see this as a no-brainer to increasing false SNAD's
When bad buyers / RENTERS find out they will only get 50% refund back with these "FREE 30 DAY RETURNS"  is it not going to just incite them to go SNAD to begin with?
THANKS Ebay!!

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

@keyofbflatwrote:

Does anyone else see this as a no-brainer to increasing false SNAD's
When bad buyers / RENTERS find out they will only get 50% refund back with these "FREE 30 DAY RETURNS"  is it not going to just incite them to go SNAD to begin with?
THANKS Ebay!!

Yes I do!

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

I thought this was supposed to help sellers. I thought it meant that even with a “SNAD”, the buyer would only get partial refund at sellers discretion. I’m really confused.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

@justagirl12 wrote:

I thought this was supposed to help sellers. I thought it meant that even with a “SNAD”, the buyer would only get partial refund at sellers discretion. I’m really confused.

Hi skynyrd4ever,

If an item is truly a SNAD, as a seller you should take care of the buyer.  When you offer free shipping and accept a return it’s your discretion to issue a partial refund, even if it is a SNAD.  If the buyer disagrees and asks eBay to "step in" we will resolve the issue directly with the buyer and you won't have to worry about any buyer protection cases.  In some situations, we may give the buyer the rest of their refund and in others we may deny their request, but it will never affect your seller standards and we’ll monitor buyers who ask us to step in closely to ensure they’re not taking advantage of the program.  Also, if the buyer is unhappy with the outcome and leaves negative or neutral feedback, we’ll automatically remove it from your reputation.

Thanks,

CK

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

I’m trying to get a straight answer and nobody will give me one. I’ll ask again. As a BUYER, if I purchase a designer handbag for $1000, regardless of whether the seller offers free returns or not, if I get the bag and it’s SNAD, is my only option to return for a partial refund at the sellers discretion?

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

@justagirl12wrote:

I’m trying to get a straight answer and nobody will give me one. I’ll ask again. As a BUYER, if I purchase a designer handbag for $1000, regardless of whether the seller offers free returns or not, if I get the bag and it’s SNAD, is my only option to return for a partial refund at the sellers discretion?

Both buyer and seller will go through the Snad dispute process  ,where seller  will get to counter the buyers claim  and buyer will give their chance as well . 

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Thank you.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

@justagirl12wrote:

Thank you.

No problem. 

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

@justagirl12wrote:

I agree this is the big question - it almost sounds too good to be true for sellers.    Can you imagine the influx of sellers that figure out they can issue 50% partial refunds at their discretion, and Ebay will take care of the buyers?    It's easy when you think about $10, $20, or even $50 items.   But, like the example here, it's a different story when it's $1k+ items where the seller is deciding to take $500 because they don't agree that it wasn't as described.  Then Ebay has to step in.   If they shut down the seller, they make another account and start doing the same thing.   This is very risky on Ebay's part IMO, and I think there's going to be changes down the road.

As a seller of very expensive computers, we get a lot of buyers that simply open them and then decide they bought the wrong computer and want to return.    Almost all of them fully expect to receive a full refund on the return, because that's ingrained into our culture now.    Unfortunately when a computer is returned opened, even if it is perfect condition, it can't be re-sold as new - and you can lose several hundred dollars of value by simply opening the seal.  

It's these cases that are going to be troublesome - not the small dollar amount cases.   If Ebay were to actually refund our buyers the difference in the partial refunds given, Ebay would be paying out thousands of dollars a year - just for us as one seller. 

I also wonder about the caveat that states Ebay may remove the partial refund ability from some sellers - I can see that being misused based on $ amount alone.   Again, it's going to be very different among sellers based on what they sell, the return rates, etc.    Selling high-end computers, that also have a high rate of return due to buyer remorse, is going to be one of those problem areas.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

As a buyer, I take the new rules to mean that if a scam seller sends me a fake or SNAD described $1000 handbag, am I only going to get a partial refund when I ask for a return? That would be awful and I would never be able to continue to buy on eBay if that were the case. I am somewhat comfortable buying now because I know those protections are in place. I understand where you are coming from as a seller as well. What buyer is going to spend $1000 on a computer and agree to a 50% refund? It doesn’t make any sense. 

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

@justagirl12wrote:

As a buyer, I take the new rules to mean that if a scam seller sends me a fake or SNAD described $1000 handbag, am I only going to get a partial refund when I ask for a return? That would be awful and I would never be able to continue to buy on eBay if that were the case. I am somewhat comfortable buying now because I know those protections are in place. I understand where you are coming from as a seller as well. What buyer is going to spend $1000 on a computer and agree to a 50% refund? It doesn’t make any sense. 

Agreed here - would like to know how Ebay is going to handle the reverse situation as you describe?  I understand that Ebay will monitor sellers who may abuse the partial refund process, but it only takes ONE instance to cost someone hundreds of dollars.   What stops a scam seller from opening up a selling account, taking 50% off a $1000 scam handbag return, then never using that account again and opening up another account and repeating?    Ebay will never catch up to them because they aren't repeatedly taking excessive partial refunds - just one at a time on a new account.  

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Exactly! And those scammers are crawling all over ebay...I’m sure in the computer area as much as the designer handbag area. You are right, they only need to hit it one time, make their money, and leave...or come back under a different user I’d as they do now.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

If a scam seller repeatedly opens new accounts, in this day and age of  sophisticated technology, I am sure that Ebay will be able to trace that.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Also, if a buyer repeatedly does the same in terms of scamming , they can trace that as well.
Message 14 of 18
latest reply

If you are going to purchase an over 1.000.00 dollar designer purse,  you can use Ebay Authenticate for that purchase, or another seller taking a chance.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply