cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge reduction in traffic to listings, huge reduction in sales. Is promoted listings causing this?

I have a question regarding promoted listings. We see 40 results in a general search. If 10 are promoted listing. Does this mean 10 unpromoted items are not being seen. Is this the cause of our traffic decrease? We see traffic dropping from 6555 views in May - to 3195 in Sept. This also has resulted in a 50 percent decrease in sales. Same 2 months. Also, when did ebay start Promoted listings on all items including single qty listings?

Traffic = 6555 May - items sold = 83

Traffic = 4929 June - items sold = 62

Traffic = 4611 July - items sold = 64

Traffic = 4199 Aug. - items sold = 65

Traffic = 3195 Sept. - items sold = 46

We see over 50% less traffic which results in greater than 50% decrease in sales.

Message 1 of 191
latest reply
190 REPLIES 190

Huge reduction in traffic to listings, huge reduction in sales. Is promoted listings causing this?

I don't see whats so funny?  Funniest post of the year? its not too funny when you can barely pay your bills...I know my sales patterns from the last 5 years...nothing had drastically changed until Sept...seems I am not in the minority here...always has to be one in the bunch

Message 106 of 191
latest reply

@humminbird-heaven wrote:

I don't see whats so funny?  Funniest post of the year? its not too funny when you can barely pay your bills...I know my sales patterns from the last 5 years...nothing had drastically changed until Sept...seems I am not in the minority here...always has to be one in the bunch

Maybe you could explain how your sales could be down more than 100% (since you said, “my sales are down at least 100%“).

Message 107 of 191
latest reply

This is an indepth article about http & chrome.

How do you think it affects store pages that are not secure?

http://www.zdnet.com/article/google-tightens-noose-on-http-chrome-to-stick-not-secure-on-pages-with-...

Message 108 of 191
latest reply

I know my sales totals and patterns from doing this for many years...I don't have to or need to explain to anyone...I am not the only one that feels that way, I am sure...I am just making a statement...as I try to help people, not ridicule them

Message 109 of 191
latest reply

@humminbird-heaven wrote:

I know my sales totals and patterns from doing this for many years...I don't have to or need to explain to anyone...I am not the only one that feels that way, I am sure...I am just making a statement...as I try to help people, not ridicule them

I don’t think you understand percentages. It’s really hard to have your sales decrease by more than 100%.

Message 110 of 191
latest reply

maybe I don't?...was just venting...I may not be as edgujacaited as the next guy...lol...is this better?

my sales are down at least 50% from normal from the last few years....>>>HALF<<< it all started about the time the non-compliant listings and seller hub started...I have been selling the same things for many years...never a drop like we are seeing here the last 2 months...and what I sell never ceases, like death and taxes....somebody is always fishing...other thing I have noticed is the HUGE drop in International sales for me...I was selling 3-4 items a week, all over the world...then it just stopped too...maybe one or two a month now and manly just to Canada. Just an observaton and my opinion...but who am I to say whats wrong...lol

Message 111 of 191
latest reply

There has always been a steady stream of sellers who post about sales being down, which could be explained by market changes. But that stream has turned into a flood since the beginning of October. Something changed; it would help to know what it was. 

Message 112 of 191
latest reply

same here. I've done everything they've asked of me to be 'compliant' and it's resulted in my sales diving thru the floor. The worse I've had in 13 years. I don't know what to do to improve things
Message 113 of 191
latest reply

What is happening with eBay, my sales are way down. Seems Like I am one more. I don’t understand why sales and views are terrible. My sales are 60% off from last year and I haven’t seen any  additional free promotional listings.

Message 114 of 191
latest reply

I agree, ebay is totally dead. Not even any questions.

Message 115 of 191
latest reply

The buyers aren't finding things because Ebay screwed up the search so bad that it works the opposite of logic. It now finds "0" items of what your type in at times and "supposedly" finds more with fewer words and many times what you are looking for is verbatum in the "fewer words section"  of what you typed in. This has happened to me many times and when complaining to Ebay CS I am assured with talk but no action. It is going from bad to worse!

And the reason there are no or very few questions is because the ask seller question box has disappeared from many of  the listings so the buyer doesn't have that option. And worse yet if the buyer sees the little tiny link in the upper right corner "contact seller" and does ask a question. When you respond and check the box to put the question and answer in the listing...it never appears there, even if the question box is there.

When I called CS on this, the first person told me that was not a feature that Ebay had. I lost it on him at that point and in very clear english ( I don't swear) told him he obvously didn't know what he was talking about as this has been a features for years. The next person I spoke with told me if a buyer clicked the link in the top right corner...that was a personal message and the check box was  not an optoin in that case. Well after showing and proving him also wrong, he changed his tune and per usual Ebay **bleep** told me it would be fixed promptly. My response was.. Given Ebay's past history, I didn't have much faith in that statement and would only believe that if I saw it happen. So far nothings has changed.  Same old Same old!

Message 116 of 191
latest reply

What is the name of your new site? My sales dropped as well.....
Message 117 of 191
latest reply

Reduction in sales probably has to do with what you sell and the season.  Less views less sales.  I believe the promoted sales actually recomends specific items similar to ones the buyer has looked at through emails.  I don't think promoted listings have anything to do with listing priority or results.

Message 118 of 191
latest reply

It is very hard for me to watch other sellers that drop ship, or one seller I see just goes to the record store and buys new colored vinyls and opens them, showing the new record and sells as used, and gets away with the title saying "Like new" and is making a killing because the sale is for double the retail they paid at the record store, a "sponsored" seller. I tried making all my listings "promoted" and sold less, which isn't saying much because I used to do at least 400 dollars a month, now I am lucky if I can sell 100 dollars a month, I don't want to believe it is ebay fault, just the economy, I guess, I am bewildered.

Message 119 of 191
latest reply

@rougheye4thejewelryguy wrote:

It is very hard for me to watch other sellers that drop ship, or one seller I see just goes to the record store and buys new colored vinyls and opens them, showing the new record and sells as used, and gets away with the title saying "Like new" and is making a killing because the sale is for double the retail they paid at the record store, a "sponsored" seller. I tried making all my listings "promoted" and sold less, which isn't saying much because I used to do at least 400 dollars a month, now I am lucky if I can sell 100 dollars a month, I don't want to believe it is ebay fault, just the economy, I guess, I am bewildered.

How much profit did you make on that $400?

And if the other guy can sell records for 2x retail, what’s stopping other people from doing that?

Message 120 of 191
latest reply