cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge reduction in traffic to listings, huge reduction in sales. Is promoted listings causing this?

I have a question regarding promoted listings. We see 40 results in a general search. If 10 are promoted listing. Does this mean 10 unpromoted items are not being seen. Is this the cause of our traffic decrease? We see traffic dropping from 6555 views in May - to 3195 in Sept. This also has resulted in a 50 percent decrease in sales. Same 2 months. Also, when did ebay start Promoted listings on all items including single qty listings?

Traffic = 6555 May - items sold = 83

Traffic = 4929 June - items sold = 62

Traffic = 4611 July - items sold = 64

Traffic = 4199 Aug. - items sold = 65

Traffic = 3195 Sept. - items sold = 46

We see over 50% less traffic which results in greater than 50% decrease in sales.

Message 1 of 191
latest reply
190 REPLIES 190

Re: Huge reduction in traffic to listings, huge reduction in sales. Is promoted listings causing thi

no

Typos courtesy of Lithium.
Message 2 of 191
latest reply

Re: Huge reduction in traffic to listings, huge reduction in sales. Is promoted listings causing thi

I also noticed the same specific drop in views/sales in June.  I made a post around the begining of July about it.  I have done the recommended suggetions.  No visible difference. 

I have had a few people message me about a similar drop in views/sales and I have also noticed a few posts about it.  I am unsure of the cause and/or solution to the problem.

Message 3 of 191
latest reply

Have a Retail outlet in the High Street , and there hs been a reduction here as well, so think its general.

Message 4 of 191
latest reply

Huge reductions in sales and views for me too.Many things ending without even 1 view. Not sure my listings are even being seen.I do not use promoted listings and do  not have a store. Been selling on ebay for 15 years and have never seen it like this. Ebay's suggestion - list more.But I have not had  any free listing promotions in over a year now and I always use my 50 and then spend 30 cents to list over 100 more  so am reluctant to spend more if things are not selling.I have no idea what the problem is though I know the economy is very poor for most middle class and the wealthy are not buying on ebay.I sure hope things get better soon.

Message 5 of 191
latest reply

I am not sure what is going on....my business totally died around 10/12/17.  I use promoted listing and whenever I search I see my stuff everywhere....its just not moving.  I put some things on sale this weekend...and ran a facebook ad...will see if that increases traffice at all. 

Mary
Message 6 of 191
latest reply

My sales have fallen off a cliff since the end of August, down by 40% or more. I watch my competitors pricing, and remain competitive, or under by 10% or so. Other than reducing price points, I'm not doing anything different. Same ads on repetitive product, with good photographs. My product line does have a seasonality associated with it, but not by near the numbers of recent decline. 

I called the Ebay Sales helpline for guideance. They can only offer simplistic solutions that anyone with an ounce of common business sense could figure out on their own. So no help there. It seems they are only equiped to assist the newbie seller that doesn't undertand that discounting can increase sales, but normally has a detrimental impact on net income. 

Given my circumstance and limited view, it seems that Ebay is in the midst of a temporary market decline and doesn't want to admit it. I may be wrong, but don't have anything else to hang my hat on. 

Message 7 of 191
latest reply

My sales have dropped to almost nothing.  I have tried what ebay suggested, still nothing.  I have lost my top seller status because of this.  It seems most of my listing are not even being looked at.  What is going on?????

Message 8 of 191
latest reply

I also have noticed a significant decline in sales this Oct and prior.  I have a store on ebay. I have been listing almost daily, good pictures, advertising my items on fb, twitter & pinterest, also google.  I have done multiple discounts on items 20%-55% off this month.  Only had 4 sales so far this month.  Also compared my pricing & shipping with others that sell same or similar my prices are lower.  So I just thought well I will give the promoted listings a try and see if that is what is being wanted of the seller to do.  So we will see if promoted listings make a difference.  I have been selling on here since 1999 and cannot recall it being so terribly slow in sales. ?????

Message 9 of 191
latest reply

I have also done all of the things you mentioned.  Some of my items are even priced lower than what others are selling theirs for, and still no sales.  Very, very discouraging.  I have tried promotions and still no sales.  Not sure what to do. 😞 

Message 10 of 191
latest reply

Has anybody factored in there has been 2 massive hurricanes and a wild fire?

Message 11 of 191
latest reply

There are hurricanes and wildfires every year.

Message 12 of 191
latest reply

I sell over 400 items a month and most of my missing sales in recent months are from disaster riddled areas.  My sales are down 30% +. I do know where my sales come from.

Message 13 of 191
latest reply

I'm no expert but even I have noticed a major downward shift in traffic.

My sales are up due to me adding new inventory.  I worried about hurricanes, but people bought. 

But views are way way down.

I use promoted listings and some items have sold.  Just offering my 2 cents.

Message 14 of 191
latest reply

August was always my slowest month, family vacations, kids ready for schools, etc...but I see changes to what people want for their homes now, changes to the

toy / doll market , changes everywhere for home decor etc..almost need to research before selling certain items now .

Message 15 of 191
latest reply