cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do your Christmas, Halloween, & other holiday items sell year-round?

For several months, I've not been reposting Halloween, Christmas, and other holiday items- or if I have, it's been Buy it Now/Best Offer, when Auctions are recommended. The sales and views definitely decline after each specific holiday. Should I be reposting, as buyers may purchase holiday items year-round? If not year-round, how soon before each holiday do you begin reposting? What is your holiday selling experience?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I agree, absolutely, holiday items sell year round.  

Many buyers will shop for holiday items at any time of year; some may be collectors of a particular holiday's decorations.  Or they may just decide to search because they wish they were close to that holiday, or they want to buy things for that holiday well in advance, or when they feel like it or have the money.

I think it gives the seller an advantage.  They may be able to realize a higher price off season, because of the lack of competition, than if they wait and list it closer to the actual holiday, when everyone else who wants to sell those items comes out of the woodwork.

It may also work to the buyer's advantage, if the seller prices low because they just want to move it, and think that is the best way to do so since the actual holiday is a long time away.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 22 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

This is an excellent question that I also want the answer to! As of right now I am holding off on posting some Christmas items and other toys too.
Message 2 of 24
latest reply

Yes-- in fact, I just sold some Halloween things a little over a week ago.  I've sold Christmas in April, Easter in December, and Halloween in July.

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

If you have free listings that would otherwise go unused, why not?

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

Thanks- do you typically sell them as auctions or buy it now?

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

Excellent point, thanks.

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

Just sold a Christmas tablecloth this week, so yes I keep my Holiday things up all year, mostly BIN.

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

I only sell Christmas ornaments.  Some of my creations are not Christmas holiday specific, owls, dogs, cats, etc.  I keep my store open all year and, yes, the Christmas specific ornaments sell all year.  

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

@burgh_erswrote:

For several months, I've not been reposting Halloween, Christmas, and other holiday items- or if I have, it's been Buy it Now/Best Offer, when Auctions are recommended.

Where are auctions being recommended? If it's one of the eBay listing suggestions then ignore it.

Holiday sells year-round. Use fixed price listing format unless it's a highly desirable collectible that is going to generate interest and bids in an auction format at any time of year.

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

If items are common, auction is never recommended on ebay.  If they are rare, auction is the way to go.

I do gangbuster business at Halloween, and while I sell a lot of my vintage stuff all year round - I cut back on the Halloween merchandise, unless I am using up freebie promos.  Because the demand drops from everyone wanting the merchandise to very few wanting it.

Think St Patricks Day.  You could sell green costume-y stuff every day for a week before St Pats, but almost no one is going to want it now - they are concentrating on Easter stuff.

Think about what you have, how much of it is on ebay already - AND keep track of the % of it selling away from the holiday.  While I will keep a few lightweight cardigan sweaters listed all year long - it is because air conditioning at work gets cold, I keep the heavy duty ones packed away until Aug because there is no point in listing them now.  I also list a few Christmas sweaters in June and July to cash in on odd season parties.

If all you sell is Christmas, you might want to work at expanding into all the other holidays or maybe into another year round genre to keep a steady supply of sales coming in.

(*Bleep*)
Message 10 of 24
latest reply

I sell holiday items, mostly Christmas and Halloween, but some St Pat's, Easter, 4th of July & Thanksgiving also.  I list them all, all the time.  I sell something every day, with maybe 4-5 days a year where I have no sales.  I have 13 Christmas items ready to ship today. 

For Christmas & Halloween, you get better prices in the fall, but you also have a lot more competition.  But if you have unused free listings and nothing you think would sell better, do it! 

Note:  I sell new items, not vintage, not used. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 11 of 24
latest reply

My first reaction is NO, do not list it! A big mistake, waste of time.... but that is only because I am greedy and want people to buy from me....

There is no month I have not sold Christmas items..... As a matter of fact, very desirable pieces (other than myself) - Vintage or high end decorations, often sell for more in the "off" season, especially summer, because people have more money than they do at Christmas time. During the holidays many people aren't looking to buy some items because their money is needed for presents and other holiday/winter related expenses.... leaving little extra money.... also the fewer like items listed, the more you can ask and receive for those items. Common items often sell for a loss during the holidays.... I got a huge lot of new Christmas CDs a couple of years ago (sold most) and actually made a good profit during the off season but during the holidays the prices of most drop to ridiculously low prices because there are a huge amount listed.... and everyone wants to sell them.

Now most items may sell a little slower (if you are the lowest priced) in the off season but if you have extra free insertions it would be a loss not to list them....

so in conclusion I would say you shouldn't list any holiday stuff.... ever... but feel free to mail them to me and I will dispose of them for you.....

you can thank me now.... 

There was never yet an uninteresting life. Such a thing is an impossibility. Inside of the dullest exterior there is a drama, a comedy and a tragedy.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

I keep the holiday merchandise for sale year 'round. The serious collectors are looking for it all the time, maybe even moreso off-season. Vintage seasonal items sell well all year, especially Christmas and Halloween.

I noticed that when I had more sewing patterns, I'd sell a ton of Christmas craft patterns in the spring, and Easter patterns in the fall, etc., so the ladies that were making things for craft fairs had enough time to get them ready.  There's also a big surge in Halloween costume patterns in the late summer. 

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

I sell holiday year round, BIN 30 day fixed.  Sales are slow, but steady, worth keeping them up since I don't stock a lot of other items.  I actually get more this time of year for some brands because it seems the majority of sellers put their Holiday goods away until late summer.  I can frequently raise my prices 20%+ and still be one of the lowest on the market.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 14 of 24
latest reply

@yuzuhawrote:

Yes-- in fact, I just sold some Halloween things a little over a week ago.  I've sold Christmas in April, Easter in December, and Halloween in July.

Funny you should say that as I just sold 4 Halloween items today lol

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 15 of 24
latest reply