cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rocks, fossils and minerals.... of course!

I agree with the sentiment someone else posted having to do with why aren't there posts about collecting or rocks  in general.  It can be challenging to properly identify different agates even when you have collected them yourself, have knowledge of the regions geological history and it passes several identifying tests.  Besides the many different names attributed to the same class of minerals, there always seem to be an exception to the rule or different variations that can be confusing.  Well, at least to me! I 'm not a geologist or gemologist and if you go collecting specimens at a renowned opal mine you won't find perfect specimens popping out of the crust.   Yeah, the internet age does make a lot of research easier but it still is hard to find relevant information and to recognize wrong information.  I personally need help with identifying rocks that I have and I was hoping others in this group need it as well and together we could find answers.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Hi,

I feel the same way that you do on this, I'm self taught and only have books and the internet to help me. There isn't much for clubs around here and I can not seem to make it to the one time a month they meet. 

I get somewhat frustrated with my inability to correctly identify some specimens that I have found. At least with others input we may be able to come up with some type of conclusions, whether it's right or wrong, it's better than my pile of ,"confusionite " growing!

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

I am also self-taught.  One of the best ways to learn is to go to a rock shop and talk to the owner.  Ask them to help you identify or look at their specimens to compare with what you have.  Ask if you can take photos....and of course, make a purchase.  Most rock shop owners are enthusiast and are happy to help. 

Mary
Message 3 of 3
latest reply