cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iron Slag? Iron Ore? Meteorite? Hunk of Stuff? Any Ideas would help, Thanks!

Piece is magnetic with strong magnet. Measures about 8" long and 2 1/2" across widest area. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

meteorite 002.JPGmeteorite 003.JPGmeteorite 011.JPG

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

No idea here, hopefully someone with some expertise will come along. Where'd you find it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Music & Musicians Group

Music & Musicians Board

My ebay My World page
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Probably around five years ago, here around the Delaware Water Gap, PA area at an auction.
I bid on a nice box lot of rocks/minerals/quartz pieces. Some of the pieces had
tags on them, dating back to the 30's, from the Newark, NJ Museum.
It was in the mix along with some odd unmarked pieces..
I have it sitting in my living room, on the radiator, and every once in a while I look at it, and try to find out what it is.
It's the mystery conversation piece that sits on the radiator. LOL
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

That's interesting, so whatever it is it was likely collected long ago. If you ever have any shows in your area, they usually will have some experts there who will identify mystery rocks/minerals for you, or take to your closest natural museum and see if they will have a look at it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Music & Musicians Group

Music & Musicians Board

My ebay My World page
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

It is cool, no matter what it is. (it would be cooler if it was worth money LOL). I searched rock/mineral clubs in the area and the only one I found is defunct. Their website hasn't had a comment on it since 2002. But you put an idea in my head about the museum. I don't have a museum near by, but East Stroudsburg University is very close. I am going to call them.
Thanks!
Will post if I find out what it is.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Looks like iron. You ever go near Pittston? They have a big show the first weekend in May. They also have a club. You bring it there and you'll have a handful of experts ready to tell you all about it.

Keep in touch with us about clubs and shows near you. Contact us directly through our site http://www.americangeode.com.  We will be at the Pittston show as well.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply