cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return auto default to Fedex?

This is a new one for me. Why is Fedex been auto default for Returns when I original shipping method was USPS. Please help me change this.

Message 1 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Re: Return auto default to Fedex?

Got a return request last night and just noticed that mine also is coming back FedEx when I shipped it USPS. Wondering how to change it also.

Message 2 of 50
latest reply

I got the same problem. Buyer started a return and eBay automatically provided a Fedex return label which is much more expensive than a USPS label (I calculated using the eBay calculator). I shipped to buyer via USPS priority mail and I don't know why the eBay return system generated a Fedex return label.

Message 3 of 50
latest reply

@isatwin74 wrote:

@redstarrobot_vintage_toys wrote:

This is a new one for me. Why is Fedex been auto default for Returns when I original shipping method was USPS. Please help me change this.

Got a return request last night and just noticed that mine also is coming back FedEx when I shipped it USPS. Wondering how to change it also.

Apparently @isatwin74 eBay told this poster here: 

@trueambassador2006 wrote:

After spending what seemed to be hours on the phone with eBay customer service department for returns. I was informed that eBay had chosen to use FedEx as their primary for returns. This means if you chose eBay to provide your business a return shipping label it will be FedEx.

To stop this you will have to go to account settings then to selling preferences then to return preferences. Under return preferences edit your basic return rules for approve returns. Turn off approve returns this will not allow eBay to automatically send your buyer a return shipping label.

You will then have to provide your buyer a return shipping label either from USPS or some other courier. 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Returns/Has-eBay-selected-FedEx-as-courier-to-provide-return-shipping/...

Message 4 of 50
latest reply

There are several discussions about this kyle@ebay devon@ebay . Can you guys provide more info?

Is eBay switching from USPS to FedEx for return labels? Are the reports that came in so far tests or a phased rollout?

If this is a confirmed change then eBay needs to make an announcement of some kind as this impacts both buyers and sellers.

GLORIOUS!

March shipping tip: Size matters. Enter accurate package dimensions on the listing form and the shipping label.
Message 5 of 50
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

There are several discussions about this kyle@ebay devon@ebay . Can you guys provide more info?

Is eBay switching from USPS to FedEx for return labels? Are the reports that came in so far tests or a phased rollout?

If this is a confirmed change then eBay needs to make an announcement of some kind as this impacts both buyers and sellers.

Hey @wastingtime101 thanks for the question.  We don't know of any plans at this time to switch to FedEx, but we are working to offer it to more and more sellers as an option.  That being said, we can certainly pass along these experiences and the suggestion to keep USPS as the default.  

Kyle,
eBay
Message 6 of 50
latest reply

Thanks a lot kyle@ebay. I think giving sellers some control is key.

On the shipping preferences page, give sellers the opportunity to select either FedEx or USPS within each of their return rules, and if no rule is set up by the seller then USPS should remain the default.

GLORIOUS!

March shipping tip: Size matters. Enter accurate package dimensions on the listing form and the shipping label.
Message 7 of 50
latest reply

Hi kyle@ebay 

So if I have automatic returns on there is a chance eBay might automatically issue a fedex return label?

I thought it was only USPS with First Class and Priority.

Message 8 of 50
latest reply

In addition to Robbie's question above kyle@ebay my follow up:

Will eBay-generated FedEx return labels lack insurance/signature options just as USPS return labels do? I expect the answer is we will not be able to apply any add-ons, but it would be good to get confirmation one way or the other.

GLORIOUS!

Message 9 of 50
latest reply

@dqdistribution wrote:

Hi kyle@ebay 

So if I have automatic returns on there is a chance eBay might automatically issue a fedex return label?

I thought it was only USPS with First Class and Priority.

Hey @dqdistribution that is correct.  It's ramping up slowly right now though, so you likely won't see too many for awhile.  

Kyle,
eBay
Message 10 of 50
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

In addition to Robbie's question above kyle@ebay my follow up:

Will eBay-generated FedEx return labels lack insurance/signature options just as USPS return labels do? I expect the answer is we will not be able to apply any add-ons, but it would be good to get confirmation one way or the other.

Hey @wastingtime101 that is correct.  The FedEx return labels will also not include insurance and signature options at this time.

Kyle,
eBay
Message 11 of 50
latest reply

kyle@ebay wrote:

@dqdistribution wrote:

Hey @dqdistribution that is correct.  It's ramping up slowly right now though, so you likely won't see too many for awhile.  

Ouch! Wonder what that will cost on a 4 oz package that would normally ship USPS for a whole lot less. I feel the need to reinforce my original feedback kyle@ebay :

1. Sellers need to be alerted as this can have a big financial impact. They should not be switched over without so much as an email heads up. Suggest eBay starts sending out emails 2 weeks in advance of changing over an account like they did for EIS.

2. On the shipping preferences page, give sellers the opportunity to select either FedEx or USPS within each of their return rules, and if no rule is set up by the seller then USPS should remain the default (if that default option doesn't violate the contract between eBay and FedEx).

GLORIOUS!

Message 12 of 50
latest reply

I definitely agree with you. This should not be happening without an opt in function. I have never used Fedex and definitely the shipping cost to return will be different than the original USPS cost. Huge implications for the seller and inconvenience for the buyer

Message 13 of 50
latest reply

I have never used FedEx and I worry about the cost differential.

Message 14 of 50
latest reply

I saw one of the posts on this mention that the service was FedEx SmartPost. Is that what you were seeing @redstarrobot_vintage_toys or did it not specify the service (SmartPost, Ground, etc)?

At least SmartPost is delivered by USPS (there are major FedEx delivery issues in my area) so if buyers use FedEx on remorse returns I can rely on USPS for delivery, provided the service is SmartPost.

Getting packages to and from FedEx is a huge inconvenience compared to USPS.

The cost comparison on lightweight packages is no joke.

I suggest sellers enable RMAs if FedEx is going to create problems for them. With RMAs you can choose between the soon-to-be default FedEx or USPS, or even buy your own label off eBay and upload it, and not worry that eBay is going to automatically issue a FedEx label (unless you fail to respond to the return request).

GLORIOUS!

Message 15 of 50
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: