cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return Request From Order More Than 30 Days Old

It seems no one at Ebay can answer how an order that was placed on November 20th and received by the buyer on November 22nd, was allowed to open a return request on January 8th? Leaving me no option but to accept the return or refund the customer.

How is more than 30 days allowed? I tried to get an answer from Ebay reps but they tell me to wait until January 14th because there is a 5 day seller response period they have to wait out before they can step in.

Are you kidding me?

I just want an answer.

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@teltuooutlet wrote:

It seems no one at Ebay can answer how an order that was placed on November 20th and received by the buyer on November 22nd, was allowed to open a return request on January 8th? Leaving me no option but to accept the return or refund the customer.

How is more than 30 days allowed? I tried to get an answer from Ebay reps but they tell me to wait until January 14th because there is a 5 day seller response period they have to wait out before they can step in.

Are you kidding me?

I just want an answer.

Click on the 'help & contact’ button located at the top and bottom of ebay pages and follow the prompts

AND-OR

On chat: type in ’agent’ to get a live person instead of a bot

AND-OR

Click on receive a call back: depending on how busy they are will depend on length of time for your call back

Make sure your phone will not block the call back 

AND-OR

You can contact eBay via social media with a private message:

https://Facebook.com/ebay

AND-OR

https://Twitter.com/askebay

Great customer service reps on these sites

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Buyers can open a return request for up to 60 days @teltuooutlet. Only the first 30 days are covered by the MBG. You could have declined the request. Since you chose to accept it, process it the same you would any other request. You cannot ask eBay to step in on a return that's not covered by the MBG so you won't see that option.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 36
latest reply

I had NO option to decline the return. THAT is why I am extremely annoyed. I was told Ebay WOULD step in but not until January 14th.

This whole thing seems like an Ebay glitch that I am now responsible for.

Message 3 of 36
latest reply

@teltuooutlet wrote:

Are you kidding me?

I just want an answer.

Click on the 'help & contact’ button located at the top and bottom of ebay pages and follow the prompts

AND-OR

On chat: type in ’agent’ to get a live person instead of a bot

AND-OR

Click on receive a call back: depending on how busy they are will depend on length of time for your call back

Make sure your phone will not block the call back 

AND-OR

You can contact eBay via social media with a private message:

https://Facebook.com/ebay

AND-OR

https://Twitter.com/askebay

Great customer service reps on these sites

Message 4 of 36
latest reply

I did speak to someone through "contact" but they were not helpful in anyway. I tried to explain I was given no option but to accept or refund and it seemed to not matter to them at all.

I will try Facebook. 

Thank you!

Message 5 of 36
latest reply

@teltuooutlet Would you please let us know what happened? This is very odd and illogical to have only one option 'accept or refund'! 

Thanks

Message 6 of 36
latest reply

In follow up... I contacted them on Facebook and someone replied IMMEDIATELY to me. They were SO very helpful and closed the case. They said it was part of the "extended holiday return period which you may not have been made aware of". 
I was not aware of this, which may have been my error in missing a post or announcement about it but I appreciate that someone ACTUALLY was able to help me.
Thank you, thank you @stuff4divas  for the help.

Message 7 of 36
latest reply

Yes, Facebook was a HUGE help and fast! They said it was part of their "extended holiday return period" which is why there was no option to decline. 

It is crazy to me that no other customer service agent had this answer for me. 

It's Facebook only for me from now on. 

Message 8 of 36
latest reply

@teltuooutlet wrote:

In follow up... I contacted them on Facebook and someone replied IMMEDIATELY to me. They were SO very helpful and closed the case. They said it was part of the "extended holiday return period which you may not have been made aware of". 

Wait, what?? eBay didn't announce an extended MBG window for the holidays.

tyler@ebay velvet@ebay   -  Can you guys get us some information on this please?

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 9 of 36
latest reply

Okay so I'm not crazy. I have been trying to find an annoucement I may have missed but couldn't find anything. 

Message 10 of 36
latest reply

No, you're not crazy and you didn't miss an announcement. The eBay reps don't typically reply on weekends but hopefully we'll get some kind of answers on Monday.

GLORIOUS!

Message 11 of 36
latest reply

@teltuooutlet  - you aren't crazy, it looks like this may be another stealth test pilot program. 😟

I had not heard about any kind of extended holiday returns either, so I asked eBay support on Twitter if they could confirm the information you were told by the support reps on Facebook.  After dancing around the subject a bit, they did finally say "We do have it as a pilot program in some regions and some accounts. We do announce the changes to impacted accounts."

I asked for specifics about how it is announced to impacted accounts since you were impacted but not aware of it until you received a return request.

They said "In most cases we rely on the eBay messages and emails to communicate changes. Again, each situation is different and if the situation doesn't apply, we'd love to make things right, at which point we'd need to review the account impacted individually."

If you don't mind sharing, I'd be curious if you go back and look through your eBay messages if you did receive anything about this.

Message 12 of 36
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

They said "In most cases we rely on the eBay messages and emails to communicate changes. Again, each situation is different and if the situation doesn't apply, we'd love to make things right, at which point we'd need to review the account impacted individually."

Reps on this board have used similar wording in the past. I'm pretty sure it had to do with return timelines. My memory is foggy, but I believe it had to do with how long a buyer had to return an item once the return was opened. Timelines were being extended at one point without any announcement.

At the tine the reps said that sellers are given the information when buyers open requests - that they'll see the dates in the eBay messages about the return. Those messages don't let you know there's a change. All they do is tell you what the dates are. So at the time it left sellers confused about why the dates were extended so far out.

I'll try to find past posts as a reference if I can remember enough details to search for them.

GLORIOUS!

Message 13 of 36
latest reply

@wastingtime101  was it this thread maybe?

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Okay-How-long-do-buyers-have-to-return-item-after-they-file-a/...

I know around that time there were a couple similar threads, with a couple different issues - one was actually a technical issue that was displaying incorrect timeframes and the other was the question about when that particular policy page changed.

Message 14 of 36
latest reply

No, it was pre-Velvet. Might have been Brian? I'll see if I can find it.

GLORIOUS!

Message 15 of 36
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: