cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50 days to ship a return??

So i have a return for an item-no biggie, happens from time to time. What I just noticed is that the buyer has 50 days to ship the item back. When did this change?

50 days of money tied up in a deal is a bit ridiculous. I have found that after about 2 weeks if the buyer doesn't ship the item back, then they usually don't.

Thanks again ebay.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hello all! While the timelines for returns granted by policy and help pages shown here are not in error, the displayed time frames for individual returns have been as of late. You can go here to learn more and as always, thank you for reaching out about things like this! 

Velvet,
eBay

View Best Answer in original post

Message 13 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

It is because the window timeline is "business" days, not calendar days.

We all feel the same way.  A return at the wrong season might mean it sits for a whole year to find a buyer again.  We had that happen at Easter.  Frustrating.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

This can be horrible for precious metal dealers. Think about buying a bunch of gold and watching the market for months to see if your investment was good or not. Then returning a stack of gold if the market dips in the first couple months after purchasing.

Bottom line is this was not well thought out.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

@jsfindustrial Check out this discussion- several of us are comparing the windows on our returns to see if we can nail down what the current timelines are. It's looking like most are seeing 30-35 business day windows- essentially buyers are getting close to 2 months to get something in the mail.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Okay-How-long-do-buyers-have-to-return-item-after-they-file-a/...

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

@jsfindustrial wrote:

This can be horrible for precious metal dealers. Think about buying a bunch of gold and watching the market for months to see if your investment was good or not. Then returning a stack of gold if the market dips in the first couple months after purchasing.

Yes, totally agree.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 5 of 18
latest reply

@jsfindustrial wrote:

You should get together with sellers in the same category- the bigger the sellers the better- and petition eBay as a group for some changes. Get to eBay here on the weekly chat, all over social media, and whatever outlet you can think of. eBay shortened return windows for trading cards and watches. eBay has said they're looking to make more customizations instead of lumping the entire site into the same policy. Fight for your category.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

This is excellent for precious metals buyers. Buy $50K worth of gold. Open return case. Then wait 6 weeks. If the market goes up, close the case. If the market goes down return it. 

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Exactly. With the initial 30-60 day return window, coupled with the 50 day return on the part of the buyer, you'd get around 100 days to wait and see how the market is going.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

I had a return that was placed and approved on Sept 02. The original return by date was Sept 16. Two days ago I checked the return status it was still Sept 16. Yesterday morning it had changed to Oct 18. The item is 2 pairs of sandals and will be totally out season when they are returned. Another way for eBay to stick to the hardworking sellers!

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Guess eBay just wants sellers to refund money without receiving items back.... Just makes me think that based on **bleep** changes.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

The (soon-to-be-policy?) "glitch" gives the buyer 30 business days (up from 10 + additional 5 business days, see the policy here) to return our item.

@coveman2002 wrote:

I had a return that was placed and approved on Sept 02.

The original return by date ... changed to Oct 18.

From Thursday, September 2, 2021 + 30 business days across 2 holidays:
Labor Day (Monday, September 6, 2021)
Columbus Day (Monday, October 11, 2021)
Result: Monday, October 18, 2021 

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

I just got off a chat with ebay and they stated they are working on it and that it's a glitch.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Hello all! While the timelines for returns granted by policy and help pages shown here are not in error, the displayed time frames for individual returns have been as of late. You can go here to learn more and as always, thank you for reaching out about things like this! 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

The glitch I called ebay about had an original return date of Sept. 19.  Then it was switched to October 17 or right about that time.  Now it's showing September 27, so they added an extra 8 days on.  I'm not happy that they gave him an additional 8 days when it should have been tomorrow.  In my mind it's still a problem!

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@4776larry wrote:

The glitch I called ebay about had an original return date of Sept. 19.  

Sep 19 is a Sunday. Maybe you mean Sep 20.

From Friday, September 3, 2021 + 10 business days
skip Labor Day (Monday, September 6, 2021)
Result: Monday, September 20, 2021

@4776larry wrote:

Then it was switched to October 17 or right about that time.  

Oct 17 is a Sunday.

From Friday, September 3, 2021 + 30 business days
skip Columbus Day (Monday, October 11, 2021)
Result: Tuesday, October 19, 2021

@4776larry wrote:

Now it's showing September 27, so they added an extra 8 days on. 

From Friday, September 3, 2021 + 15 business days
Result: Monday, September 27, 2021

@4776larry wrote:

I'm not happy that they gave him an additional 8 days when it should have been tomorrow.  In my mind it's still a problem!

That's been the policy since the 2020 Spring update: 10 business days to print the label, then 5 business days to scan the label.

7ticvhzcv0z9bupzcbpcxunzciovbuxxcvbnzijnbt7.jpg

Which was simply combined -- 15 business days to mail the label -- and how eBay now shows it on your Return Details page.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: