cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Advanced Search not working after apparent update

I noticed today that the eBay Advanced Search page has changed.   I also noticed that all of a sudden I am  getting 0 search results for the items I am looking for.  

The searches I have been trying are in the Books and Magazines category.   Title searches for simple terms like "farm" and "sea" produce 0 results.   The message I get says "We found 0 results for "sea" in Books and Magazines, so here are some other search results" -- and all the results are in clothing and makeup. 

I then tried to and three-word title/description searches in the Books and Magazines category (relating to books I confirmed are listed on the site prior to my attempt) -- for example, "george washington."  Again, 0 results.

I talked to eBay customer service and the representative was able to reproduce the same results.   Had no explanation why it was happening, but promised to report the problem.

In the meantime, I can't find items I want to buy and I suspect buyers can't find the items I am selling due to the same problem.   I would further guess that it's not just happening to me.

It seems that whatever update/upgrade was made to the Search engine has messed it up in a big way.    I noticed earlier this week that hundreds of my search bookmarks that I have been using for the last 5 years suddenly stopped working.   Instead of search results, I get a message saying "eBay redirected too many times."   Obviously eBay has changed something. 

The eBay Search Engine is the most important function on the site for both buyers and sellers.   If the Search Engine is on the fritz, it is going to hurt everyone.    I don't know about anybody else, but I can't afford to lose even a day of sales.

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: eBay Advanced Search not working after apparent update

Totally agree.  It's frustrating when something so simple changes... leaving it broken and ineffective with no hint of a timely resolution.  It's not a "new normal" that users need to accept.  Whoever broke it... needs to fix it!

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

Something has happened NOBODY can find my llistings-----

What is ebay doing with them??????????

I hate to say I am close to stopping, but I am, EBAY!!!!!!!!!

If you care at all-----Fix the search pages.

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

Something has happened NOBODY can find my llistings

I see 107 items you currently have listed. What item can't you find, and how are you searching?

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

It has started again in the last week.  Latest update did not resolve it.  One item appeared in one of my saved searches titled:  Kenneth Cole Reaction Men's Size 11 Brown Leather Lace Up Sneakers Casual Shoes

Tried searching for: Kenneth Cole Casual Men’s Shoes

returned 0 results, not even the one from my saved search.   Tried searching for exact title of the one from my saved search, again result was 0!  Tried removing words one at a time to narrow down the search…one resulted in 2 items found, but not the one I referenced above. 
My final workaround was to search for MENS SHOES. Then I filtered SIZE 11. Then I filtered BRAND KENNETH COLE.  Only returned about 20 results…I know there are much more - it’s a regular saved search for me.  Absolutely nuts eBay…revert back to last known working and TEST the next update before releasing it to the masses!!!

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

Tried searching for: Kenneth Cole Casual Men’s Shoes

returned 0 results

Try creating a new search using just those terms, making sure you are NOT using the "price plus shipping: lowest first" sort order, which is known to be problematic. You should wind up with about 3600+ results, depending on your location.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Kenneth+Cole+Casual+Men%E2%80%99s+Shoes&_sacat=0

From there you can narrow the category and then add filters as necessary.

Message 20 of 25
latest reply

I am having a similar problem when doing a search and then clicking on the 'Sold' & 'Completed' tabs. Comes up with 0 results. Also, I noticed that when I scroll the page I find that some settings are not set at default; results are , of which there are none, show that the items I am looking for are set to within 25 miles of my Zip Code. I don't set those parameters. When clearing out the Zip Code and trying to see results after doing so, I still get 0 results.

Sellers need to be able to see what similar items sold for as part of our listing research for our own items.

Message 21 of 25
latest reply

When clearing out the Zip Code and trying to see results after doing so, I still get 0 results.

Try creating a new search not using the "Price plus shipping: lowest first" sort order.

Message 22 of 25
latest reply

I realize this is an old post.  But here it is December with the same old broken search engine.  Advanced search absolutely won't include all the search words in the results.  I gave up selling on the site long ago and now I'm about to give up on buying too.  I'm pretty sure my business won't be missed.

Message 23 of 25
latest reply

Advanced search absolutely won't include all the search words in the results.

What are you trying to search for, and how are you searching? Which results are missing which keywords?

Message 24 of 25
latest reply

My issue is that when I set up an advanced search, excluding certain words......then SAVE that search.......then go back to use that saved search..........all the words I excluded are now listed in the "desired" search box.  Unbelievable.  The ONE function that should work on ebay and it's jacked up. 

Message 25 of 25
latest reply