cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to edit the HTML section on listings

I am unable to edit the HTML box on my listings.  within a second or two of accessing that section, the browser refreshes and bounces out.   I've tried editing the listing on another computer, and the same problem occurs. 

The problem showed up yesterday and still is occurring today.

Any idea when this will be remedied?

PS.  Could the powers-that-be please get rid of the gratuitous warning box that shows up every time as an extra step to click through when we go to edit the HTML language of our listings?  Yes, we are sure we want to be there.

Message 1 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

What browsers have you tried? Latest version?

Any difference if you disable add-ons, or use a private or incognito browser window?

Message 2 of 50
latest reply

I've tried using Microsoft Edge and Mozilla Firefox so far.

Message 3 of 50
latest reply

Disabled the one add-on I had, rebooted, and tried again to edit the HTML-- no success.

Also, switching to private browsing, all no success.

Message 4 of 50
latest reply

same for me, it started 3 days ago when i went into listing to revise/update description...couldn't get HTML mode to work, just refreshes the page and goes back to normal text. I ended that listing and went to relist it last night, same thing....called ebay for ticket for tech support. 
It's not browser or cookies, it's a ebay glitch, they revised the listing tool this past week so something on their end. 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 5 of 50
latest reply

I'm having the same problem, using Chrome on a Mac. Just started for me today. Sometimes I can get it to save once I'm in the HTML panel by quickly scrolling down and clicking "save for later" but not always.

I depend on HTML for my descriptions. So I'm stuck until they fix this.

PS: I also agree...can we PLEASE get rid of that extra "are you sure?" popup?

Message 6 of 50
latest reply

It also happens when I edit the weight and package dimensions in the shipping area....the page refreshes right afterwards and my edits are gone. I didn't even have the HTML option open at the time, and it has happened twice now. Definitely some buggy stuff going on with your dev team, eBay!

Message 7 of 50
latest reply

@zoeriley wrote:

It also happens when I edit the weight and package dimensions in the shipping area....the page refreshes right afterwards and my edits are gone. I didn't even have the HTML option open at the time, and it has happened twice now. Definitely some buggy stuff going on with your dev team, eBay!

yes, I had it happen also when didn't even get to select HTML mode... usually it happens after the pop up comes up and select "show More Options" on that popup, after that should see the right side link for HTML turn to check box, if you happen to get that far, once check that box, it refreshes don't even get a chance to edit the HTML. 

html1.jpghtml2.jpghtml3.jpg

Message 8 of 50
latest reply

Hey devon@ebay. Numerous sellers affected by this. Here are a few links to discussions:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Share-eBay-Technical-Issues/Listing-Tool-auto-refreshes-after-pasting-...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Share-eBay-Technical-Issues/2-DAY-ON-GOING-EBAY-GLITCH/m-p/33673509#M1...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/New-Listing-Glitch/m-p/33672408#M2192211

Is there a site wide ticket on this one yet so we can advise sellers of the ticket number to reference when contacting CS?

Tagging some of the posters from other threads so they can keep track of replies here:

@im_just_a_reseller  @mokelbe  @bluewater-vintage 

Separate from this specific issue, Devon, I'd like to strenuously express my agreement with those who want to get rid of the "are you sure" and multiple clicks to switch to HTML. Such a time waster (in a bad way).

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 9 of 50
latest reply

Two behaviors that stand out from troubleshooting after the latest code changes. They may point to a set of cookie driven 'features' that on the surface seem unrelated but share common coding methods.

a) User Bluewatervintage reported HTML pasting works successfully for editing templates but not new listings (the templates may be ones created prior to code changes)

b) User digidude66 trapped a reproducible cookie error from editing templates created before the code changes.

"Cookie 'DS2' has been rejected because it is already expired"

Re: Unable to save or copy templates - The eBay Community

Message 10 of 50
latest reply

updating template doesn't work, already tried that. Clearing cookies doesn't work, everyone has tried that. Using different browser doesn't work, it's been tried. 

CS ticket was suppose to be 24-48 hrs - nothing has been done, as of last night I got same results. It's the weekend so you know nothing will be done til Monday earliest. Not listing til they fix the listing tool. There are some others who have reported this happening without even selecting the "Show All Options" for HTML mode... some reported it happens when they go the shipping section of listing tool. So it's seemingly random. Not happening to everyone. And not happening only when trying to access the HTML portion of description. 
devon@ebay 

Message 11 of 50
latest reply

Workarounds may not exist.

Users are reporting many inconsistencies related to templates/drafts and listing creation. Some cannot create any, others can only edit old ones. Others report only new ones work. Clearing cookies wont prevent cookie poisoning, that would only remove an already poisoned cookie.

Cookies are used throughout the form-based listing tools, I suspect. I too am avoiding changes while we wait.

You are wise to assume a bug fix wont be arriving on a holiday weekend. 

Message 12 of 50
latest reply

yes idk exactly when, month ago maybe?...but have seen things stored in the listing tool - things like UPC - that never use to store prior, you don't have to type anything, just click the field and everything you have entered in that field since clearing cookies will come up on drop down list. 

Not saying it isn't cookie related issue, but if you cleared your cookies (several times) and the page is still refreshing what else can you do aside from waiting on ebay to fix the issue that causing it in the listing tool coding? 

There is a workaround but it will be pain in you know what. Go and edit template for the item your listing (filling in the info for that particular item), then save then go to create new listing and select that template...you should be able to list that way, you can fill in specifics for that item as well even add photos from the template...but then you need to go revise the entire template for the next item you list and repeat....that's a lot of work just to list. 

Message 13 of 50
latest reply

I don't see that they have posted a ticket.  One person in another thread said that they were able to save a draft that someone actually could look at and see what was happening at ebay so MAYBE they will pay attention.  I spoke to 2 people yesterday that both said they were putting in a ticket, but those folks, while very nice, just didn't seem to understand the issue.  I saw in one place that they had updated the listing tool so maybe that is where the bug came from, but it doesn't seem to be site wide which is also very odd.  But an awful lot of people seem to be having the same problem.

Message 14 of 50
latest reply

I did a little poking around with workflows for create, sell like, resume draft, create draft, and even revise listing. 

All roads led to the same root method (some after a redirect): lstng?draftId=XXX

The only difference I could see was mode=ReviseItem vs. mode=SellLikeItem vs. mode=AddItem

It looks like a draft is created for every action I tried. If there is a bug in the method 'Create(Draft)' it could lead to various issues all over the place with that being a shared step in every workflow.

Just an observation and conjecture.

Message 15 of 50
latest reply