cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There was a problem issuing this refund

Trying to refund a buyer and keep receiving this message. Anyone else experiencing this?

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: There was a problem issuing this refund

PayPal, in all their wisdom, put in place a new policy that you must have adequate funds in your PP account to cover refunds (including any fees you owe them).  Sellers like me that keep their PP balance swept to -0- and have a bank account linked where refunds would get refunded from have been taken by surprise.  Ebay is NO help with their vague error message.

No need to call Ebay/PP, what you have to do is transfer adequate funds into your PP account or wait til you get a sale which will then fund the refund.

Both companies have done very poor messaging to their customer base about this, PP in particular. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 9 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

@timzbiz   Are you trying to issue the Refund as part of an eBay Return claim?

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 2 of 46
latest reply

Yes it is an open return request. The package was returned to me yesterday and ebay sent me a message to refund the payment by the 26th.

Message 3 of 46
latest reply

@timzbiz   Then it must be a glitch.  You can try a different browser or clear history, cookies, temp internet file, etc. and try again but if it persists then call eBay and report the problem with issuing the Refund ... they will probably help force it through for you ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 4 of 46
latest reply

Ignore it and check your paypal; you will see it went through; and if you try to do it again, ebay will then say it's already been done. 

I've seen it many times- but the refund is done and through and never a backlash issue. 

Message 5 of 46
latest reply

Just checked PP and the refund has not gone through.

Message 6 of 46
latest reply

Wait a couple hours

Message 7 of 46
latest reply

I'm having the exact same problem,

and have tried the recommendations listed here

and nothing has changed. I guess I'm going to have

to call eBay. I've been trying to issue a refund since 12.21.

It's a very weird glitch. 

Message 8 of 46
latest reply

PayPal, in all their wisdom, put in place a new policy that you must have adequate funds in your PP account to cover refunds (including any fees you owe them).  Sellers like me that keep their PP balance swept to -0- and have a bank account linked where refunds would get refunded from have been taken by surprise.  Ebay is NO help with their vague error message.

No need to call Ebay/PP, what you have to do is transfer adequate funds into your PP account or wait til you get a sale which will then fund the refund.

Both companies have done very poor messaging to their customer base about this, PP in particular. 

Message 9 of 46
latest reply

Not only can you transfer money out of your PayPal account I believe you can transfer money to your PayPal account. If your PayPal account does not have the funds for the refund then transfer money from your bank to the PayPal account before you process the refund.

Message 10 of 46
latest reply

A solution, sure, but takes 3 to 5 business days, so be aware. 

Message 11 of 46
latest reply

I am having this same issue. Why do I need to put the money in there if they already took the money from my account and put it on hold when the buyer first requested the return? That would be like paying twice. This is ridiculous.

Message 12 of 46
latest reply

You are absolutely correct. Just experienced the very same issue as the OP and I ultimately had to transfer funds to my Paypal account in order for the eBay system to process the refund. Absolutely ridiculous!
Message 13 of 46
latest reply

I had the exact same problem. I attempted to refund a buyer through eBay and received an error message. I called Ebay & was told to call Paypal. I called PayPal & was informed that Ebay has made a change to their refund policy & will no longer except echecks. You must have enough  in your PayPal account to cover the refund otherwise you have to transfer money from your checking account into your PayPal account which takes a week! Another hit to sellers by Ebay

Message 14 of 46
latest reply

I have alot of funds  in my paypal account,  so that's not the issue for me.

Message 15 of 46
latest reply