cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping Calculator Keeps Deleting Dimensions And Unselecting Service

I cannot post anything for sale because the shipping calculator section starts out with no dimensions, no weight, and no shipping method selected. If I enter the dimensions and weight, then select the shipping method, it appears to be filled out correctly. If I try to change it to free shipping or buyer pays flat amount, it wipes out the dimensions/weight/method all over again. 

If I leave it alone and just hit 'list item', it still wipes it out. If I select local pickup and uncheck 'Ship Your Item' so only local pickup is allowed, when I hit list item it unchecks local, rechecks Ship Your Item, still wipes out the information, and wont let me list without selecting a shipping method. 

100% blocked on listing items because of this. 

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@adalius83 wrote:

So when I did opt into the hub, it did have a few policies in there (they all looked like Ebay auto-named them, as they had UIDs at the end like f12031b1230a). Unless Ebay decided to just turn biz policies on when it made them in the backend, I'm not sure how that would have blocked me from listing if I hadn't opted into the hub yet...

That's not what blocked you. When you opted in to seller hub, eBay opted your account into biz policies (without asking you).

@adalius83 wrote:

I still can't use the classic listing because of the shipping calculator issue. 

If the listing form looks different now than it did before, that means when you were using My eBay you were likely using the quick lister, and when you switched to seller hub you were switched to the unified lister.

So one of those actions (biz policies enabled or switching to unified listing tool) is what got you around the issue you've been having.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 17 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

What browser are you using?

Have you tried clearing the cache?

Have you tried a different browser?

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

It's doing it in Chrome and Edge, multiple computers, cleared cache for both browsers on both computers.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Chrome and Edge are very much a like, try Firefox to be sure.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Chrome and Edge make up roughly 83% of all desktop browsers in use. I'm not going to install yet another browser just to test why Ebay isn't working. That's ridiculous. 

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

I understand, but troubleshooting is often just a matter of narrowing down what is happening by ruling out possible suspects.   If this was a widespread issue, the boards would be lighting up with complaints.  Not that I haven't seen it before, but the issue has generally been fixable within the browser, regardless of whether it is an ebay problem or not.

Historically, ebay and PayPal shipping have had odd problems with certain versions of Chrome and Edge, so make sure those are up to date.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

@wastingtime101  Any ideas here?

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Chrome and Edge are both Chromium-based browsers. If you regularly use both, you may have similar settings, history, and add-ons in both, so trying a browser you do not normally use can be instructive before you start changing settings in your primary browser.

Alternatively, you could try an incognito browser window (to avoid potential history or cookie issues) with add-ons disabled to see if that makes any difference.

Trying another browser is an easy first step to troubleshooting many issues.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

I get why its being suggested, but its still ridiculous.

To be clear, my job involves a lot of IT so I'm not dumb when it comes to browsers, or normal things to try. 

Here's everything I've done since my last post:
1) Cleared the caches in both Chrome and Edge, yet again, for like the 9th time. 
2) Disabled addons completely. Again. In both Chrome and Edge (my Edge doesn't even have any addons installed).
3) Installed Firefox.

4) VPN'd to a *CLEAN* new install on a computer at work, so a completely different network, that we just built last week and haven't assigned to a user yet, so nothing logged in on Chrome, clean history even as its never been used to browse anything ever.

Same issue still exists. 

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

I opted into the Seller Hub and was able to make the listing from there. Went back out to Classic Ebay (or whatever its called) still no joy there. At least I found a way to post in the meantime...

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

My suggestion, after viewing your listings, is to set up business policies. You primarily use flat rate shipping so it would be really simple to use business policies. If you want to try that you can tag me and I'll give you tips on setting them up.

If you don't want to use biz policies, then I'd start running lots of tests to see if you can pinpoint a way to get things working.

Others suggested different browsers, disabling add-ons, etc.

I'll add in:

- Check that both browser and OS are up-to-date. If you're working on an older OS, browser or both, it can create problems.

- Create a listing template. See if dimensions, etc stick in the template. If they do then you can create listings working off templates.

- Reverse the order of data entry. If you enter dim/wt then shipping method, try it in reverse. Select a shipping method before entering dm/wt.

- If you're using "relist" or "sell similar" try creating listings from scratch to ensure an older listing that's giltchy isn't pulling that issue into new listings.

- Make sure you allow time for the data to save in one field before moving on to the next field. I've noticed the listing form is slower than the old one in saving data, so it will constantly wipe out fields if you fill them out while the previous fields are saving.

- Save as draft, load draft and enter missing data, save again and see if it sticks.

- Publish the listing and see if info sticks when you go in to revise the listing.

- If you're using the quick lister, switch to the unified lister. Test listing with the app, too.

- Select a shipping method before filling out any other field to see if it makes a difference.

Most of the time an issue like this is reported the diagnosis is something that comes down to browser (including updates and settings), ad blockers, grammar checkers, password managers, etc. interfering with eBay.

I can offer suggestions to try and isolate the issue and/or work-around the issue, but so far it's not a widespread problem so at this point it comes down to finding a way to make things work.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@adalius83 wrote:

I opted into the Seller Hub and was able to make the listing from there. Went back out to Classic Ebay (or whatever its called) still no joy there. At least I found a way to post in the meantime...

When you opted in to Seller Hub, were you automatically opted in to biz policies? I've seen a lot of sellers report that happening lately.

GLORIOUS!

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

So to go down your checklist:
1) Browser was just updated yesterday (but again, its doing it on 3 different browsers, including one non-chromium). OS is up to date on all the computers used. One computer is a fresh Windows install that has been updated but nothing other than Chrome installed yet, so almost no chance of corruption or any other concerns, or conflicts with other installed software, yadda yadda yadda. This includes no anti-virus or firewall software installed yet.
2) I made shipping templates inside of the Seller Hub, since I was able to post there, but I still can't manually enter the data in the old Classic Ebay listing format so that works around the problem, but doesn't fix the problem.
3) Order of entry has made no difference. Even if I get it where it has the proper numbers in the proper places and I leave it on the default selection where Ebay calculates the cost automatically, it is wiped out as soon as I click list item. To be clear, I can punch in dimensions and weights, and then select the method of shipping, and the 3 radio buttons for free shipping, Ebay calculated shipping (selected as default), and flat rate fee appear. At that point if I do *nothing* but click 'List Item', it clears everything and says I didnt select shipping, *OR* if I select Free or Flat Rate, it clears it out immediately (at which point Listing once again says I didnt select shipping).
4) Problem occurs both in sell similar and from-scratch listings. I have done both in the past (sell similar and from-scratch) when it was working
5) I can't "move too fast" because it shows the spinning waiting icon after data entry before I can even select the method of shipping, so I'm slowed down by that right from the get go.
6) Tried that, no luck. It lets me save the draft but as soon as you get to the actual 'Listing', whats described in #7 here happens.
7) Can't publish because as mentioned in #3, it wipes it out regardless of what is in there, so then it thinks there is no shipping selected and won't let it publish.
😎 Not sure what quick lister or unified lister is. I'm just going to 'Sell' -> 'List an Item' -> Type description -> Then I've tried both picking an item shown, or continue with blank listing.
9) No difference.

Again this is happening with all ad-ons disabled, in multiple browsers, on multiple computers, on different networks, with different anti-virus/firewall software (disabled and enabled). It was working fine when I listed a bunch of things a few days ago and the fact its doing it on multiple browsers on multiple computers is strange as all get out.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Possibly? But I didn't opt into seller hub until *after* I couldn't get the listing to post all day.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@adalius83 wrote:

Possibly? But I didn't opt into seller hub until *after* I couldn't get the listing to post all day.

You'd know for sure by visiting this page. You will either see a screen saying you can opt in, or you will see a screen showing a list of biz policies.

https://www.bizpolicy.ebay.com/businesspolicy/manage

My first suggestion above was to use biz policies because it often gets around issues like the one  you described.

It's also possible that switching from My eBay to Seller Hub also switched you from the quick lister to the unified lister. (You'd know if the listing screen looked different.)

If you are opted in to biz policies, here's my standard advice:

Business policies help me keep my sanity. Manage and edit them (or disable them to go back to how you used to set up your listings) on this page.

bizpolicies.png

Once you set up your shipping policies and name them so you can easily identify them, you can go to your active listings and bulk edit to assign your new policies.

After the initial mess of policies that are created when you first sign up are no longer tied to active listings, you can delete them.

It takes a little time and work to set it up, but in my opinion it's well worth it.

GLORIOUS!

Message 15 of 18
latest reply