cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Search within Store is not working correctly

When I search my store, I do not get a correct result.  For example, if I search for pearl necklace, the search returns only 3, even though I have 60.  When I search for necklace, the search returns 34, but I have close to 700.  In addition, the search returned only the necklaces in the fashion category, leaving out all the ones in the fine jewelry category.  In other words, it is showing potential buyers only the worst 34 of almost 700.

It gets worse.  For the search that only returned three of my items, there were seven links taking buyers off eBay to other jewelry stores.  And, on the results page whan I searched for a necklace in my own store, there is a HUGE sponsored ad for another eBay seller!  We pay so much money for the store subscription and final value fees, and this is so frustrating.  Can you imagine paying rent for a brick and mortar store, and your landlord putting up a huge billboard for a competitor in your store, and then handing out directions to other stores selling the same things you are selling?  This is what is happening in the eBay stores.

heidi@ebay, trinton@ebay, alan@ebay, can you please help? 

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Search is screwed up..........I have a feeling that "all" categories aren't being searched....... 5 versus 91 just in this variation.....

image.png

and then this: 

image.png

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Wow, you got better results when you spelled necklace wrong?! 

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

My Store Front page is still messed up, but CS reps say the kinks/glitches/whatever are due to all the May updates and that the problems are being worked on. My search is now at the top of the page and does not work properly either. Further, the results now display on a page that it not in my store, and the sub categories are not mine, but rather eBay's. It's the view you get when selecting "view seller's other items," instead of the Store front page.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

It's not just within your store - it's also happening in a general search of your items.

pearl necklace 5 results
(pearl necklace) 21 results
"pearl necklace" 21 results

Only listings where the actual title has pearl and necklace adjacent are showing up in the results. When the search terms are not adjacent:
WIDE CHUNKY 5-STRAND FAUX PEARL & AQUA COLOR "STONES" 19 INCH TORSADE NECKLACE
listing does not appear in the search results.

Happens when a seller filter is applied (unclear if some other filters are also). Checked another seller (same pearl necklace search also with a store) and it did not happen, and yet another without a store (searched for levis jeans) and also did not happen.

BTW, the "other items" link https://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZlalas3QQhtZ-1 in the description of (some?) of your listings is broken - there is no search.ebay.com subdomain.
Is https://www.ebay.com/sch/lalas3/m.html where you are wanting to direct viewers there?

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Same thing was happening to me.

I did a search in browser under my store and it was taking me to a general search of that brand for OTHER sellers.

But now, the search box in my store is completely gone.

Nice to know we pay to advertise for others and on top of that, we aren't even included 😮

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@stuff4divas wrote:

Same thing was happening to me.

I did a search in browser under my store and it was taking me to a general search of that brand for OTHER sellers.

But now, the search box in my store is completely gone.

Nice to know we pay to advertise for others and on top of that, we aren't even included 😮

Never mind about the search box being gone, it's at the very top of the page. I was looking further down under my store photo.

And the search seems to be functioning properly so far. When I put a brand name alone or brand name with item IE: Ugg or Ugg bag, my items pop up.

Looks like this glitch was fixed! 🙂

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

The search function is still not fixed for me.  I just did a search in my store  for chandelier and it returned zero listings.  Even though "All categories" was selected at the top, it only returned the ceiling fixture category, which I do not have.  When I select the "Jewelry & Watches" category, it returns all my chandelier earrings.  However, if I type in chandelier earrings without selecting a category, it only returns three!  How is this logical in any way?

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Yes, thank you for the information about the links.  That link used to bring people to our store.  I did read somewhere that the address was going to change.  I guess that makes all of our business cards obsolete, too.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

What genius approved taking away themes and only supplying Blue and WITHOUT the store search?

I'm all for updates that helps buyers/sellers have good experiences but to change our store themes and take away the ability of customers being able to search our stores directly is abosolutely brainless.

When you call support, they are from another country that can only state, We are taking down your information and placing it in our survey so that our technical people can look at it.  WHAT?

Ebay, you really have disappointed many this time and have clearly made it a dictatorship, your way or no way.  Sad!!!!!

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Looks like the  new store link address format is:      https://www.ebay.com/str/lalas3

even though eBay search page store door icon targets, and "listing" links on profiles here in the community forums still use an old format that gets redirected. "Visit Store" links in seller info area on actual  listings are the new format.

eBay has made a mess of this.

I noticed the links because I was looking at the frame source for one of your listing descriptions, chasing down a possibility that the "piled up <font rwr....> links in descriptions bugaboo" might have mutated and be a cause for wonky search results. (Was not the case.)

A search just now for   chandelier   in your store produced 9 results.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Thank you for the info on the correct address.  I also appreciate your efforts to check the frame source.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

I can confirm that a store search shows:

Chandelier brings up 9 items.......which are all earrings and are in various ebay sub categories

Chandelier earrings brings up 3 items, all of which are in ebay sub category earrings.

I think this is due to ebay's implicit category navigation feature, explained in the last message here:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-Weekly-Chat-with-eBay/Weekly-Chat-with-the-eBay-Mobile-Team-Oc...

Basically what that does is choose the ebay category (single) from which items are shown....even tho there may be other items in other categories that match the search term.  The only way to defeat this is to list the items in the "chosen" category.....in this case "earrings".  You could change one item to that category and then do the search again to confirm that this is the problem.

Search is apparently not searching actual store items, but doing a site wide search  and then filtering out everything except store items, but since the items in "other categories" are already filtered out due to this "feature".........they aren't shown......

Problem is sellers have no way of knowing what categories are "chosen" by ebay without alot of research and "knowledge" of the feature.  Tho, in that message, supposedly all would be shown if "all categories" was used, that was later changed and "all" doesn't now show all results. 

Of course the idea that someone would chose "chandelier" as a single search term for earrings is pretty ludicrous.........as is the whole feature in my opinion...........

Alan, et al........any chance a store search in cases like these, will actually show all the items in the store?

alan@ebay

@syedmhaq

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

If a potential buyer is already in my store and types a word into the "Search this store" box with "This Store" showing in the category box, which is preselected, they are expecting to find all the listings in that store with that word.  Instead, when I type chandelier in the search box with the preselected "This store" in the category box, the result is zero listings. The buyers are not going to know they have to then change the category box to "Jewelry & Watches" and search again in order to see the nine items.  This is not intuitive, and worse, it is requiring a search to be two steps when one is all that should be needed.  And eeven worse than that, it is completely misleading when you think you are searching in a store for all items in that store with that word.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Yes I just discovered this "non feature". its totally retarded, unable to search a store for an item. @ebay  what are you doing about it?  Maybe Ebay should use a better search engine rather than google.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply