cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offer expire less than 48 hours

I placed an auction about 5 pm MST and had offers enabled. Later I received an offer. Later I noticed it said offer expires 7 hrs xx mins.  This offer almost expired this morning, ~ 6 am,  12 hours after receiving. What happened to the 48 hours? I felt rushed into decision because half the time was spent sleeping!!! Good thing I wake up early fo work or I would have missed altogether. Placed Sunday July 29

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Offer expire less than 48 hours

When taking best offers from buyers you need to reply right away so that you can keep the buyer interested less they decide they no longer want the item or find some other item instead of yours. I would advise adding the ebay mobile app to your cell phone so that you can get notices right away. While there is no way to guaranty it will wake you it can let you know when you have offers so you can respond right away no matter where you are.

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Seem to be missing the point. Ebay states offers are valid for 48 hours. This one plus one a few days later was only 12 hours. Why??? 

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

@donbo97 wrote:

Seem to be missing the point. Ebay states offers are valid for 48 hours. This one plus one a few days later was only 12 hours. Why??? 

Maybe a blue can shed some light:

alan@ebay

Is eBay testing a shorter duration for offers? We've seen several threads on this.

And I always wanted to post this:

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

@thatsallfolks wrote:

@donbo97 wrote:

alan@ebay

Is eBay testing a shorter duration for offers? We've seen several threads on this.

hahaha, that video!! Classic. I'm not aware of a test for a shorter duration. Let me look into it, and I'll get back to you. 

Thanks. 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Totally missed the point. Ebay specifically states offers are 48 hours in length and I have gotten several 12 hours in length, mostly during the sleeping hours, Has nothing to do with keeping someone interested. It puts a lot of stress on me to hurry and decide, so in my own defense, such offers go unanswered. Ebay fix your bug...
Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Any more news on this?  I ran into the same issue today; offer expired after 12 hrs.

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

I had the same thing happen, but it I did not see it until I woke up at 7.00 am.

Keep buyer interested? 

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 8 of 20
latest reply

alan@ebay wrote:

@thatsallfolks wrote:

@donbo97 wrote:

alan@ebay

hahaha, that video!! Classic. I'm not aware of a test for a shorter duration. Let me look into it, and I'll get back to you. 

Thanks. 

alan@ebay

Hi Alan
Any word on this ? more posters added to this post & more post popping up as well, like this buyer.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Bidding-Buying/How-do-I-get-my-best-offers-to-last-48-hours-again-inst...

Thanks

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

In the off chance that this is the issue (may not be), but a best offer is for 48 hours OR until the listing ends, whichever is sooner.  Are these listings ending in less than 48 hours?

Just asking, because it very well could be another super secret squirrel test run to make seller's lives more miserable interesting.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 10 of 20
latest reply

I've had this happen to me at least 4-5 times in the past month or so.  It's random and not from listings ending or anything like that.  Sometimes right after the offer is sent I'll see the countdown on the offer already at 7hrs and counting!  Something is definitely going wrong and it's costly me sales which is not acceptable.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

On a different thread, an eBay staffer has confirmed that this is deliberate and is some sort of experiment. At first, buyers were randomly assigned to the test and their offers were only good for 12 hours.  Now, some are reporting that they have a choice of 2 or 3 durations, with the longest being 48 hours.

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

I had an offer today that expired after exactly ONE HOUR.

I think I'm done.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

Just asking, because it very well could be another super secret squirrel test run to make seller's lives more miserable interesting.

HAHAHAHA

Thanks for the giggle!  grinninglaughingSmiley Very Happy

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

I just made a best offer from eBay mobile app. I noticed that the expiration time was set to 12 hours by default. But there was a change button there. When tapping it, it gave me the choices between 1 hour, 6 hours, 12 hours, 1 day, and 2 days (if I remember it correctly). I had to manually change it to a longer expiration time. If people were not paying attention to the expiration time, it would be set to the default 12 hours. I am not sure if the default expiration time for best offer changed or not on desktop or laptop.  

Message 15 of 20
latest reply