cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newly Listed search not loading properly

Searching newly listed starts at midnight (9 hours earlier), clicking to the next page there is a loss of over 12 hours.  Happens on Chrome, Edge and IE.  Clearing history is of no help.  Searching ending ending soonest, the listings are properly displayed without huge blocks of lost items / hours.

Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Re: Newly Listed search not loading properly

Thanks for this thread guys.

I've spent an hour of my time trying to explain to a Customer Service Rep via eBay chat that there is an obvious or glaring problem. 

It's gotten to the point where I've had to accuse them of not being able to understand English and to pass on the issue to another Rep or ask their line manager, or accuse them of wilfully lying to their users about the fact that if you press 'search' on ANY keyword, the listings quantity will jump from anything between 15000 and 100000 (as of last night for the keyword I use literally about 100 times a day every day) listings going missing.

This is not acceptable, they charge me for a shop but my listings are wiped out, people cannot see my listings, and they do not even have the brass-tacks to admit there is a problem. I went into chat yesterday expecting to have the rep explain there is a 'known issue and we are working on it', but it seems they have either been told that there is nothing wrong or been told to tell us there is nothing wrong. 

I've pointed the rep now to the downdetector site and this technical issues area of eBay community so they can see that this is a problem potentially affecting every single user.

Their behavior is not really acceptable for this, we pay good money for their services and while many of their (quite frankly idiotic) changes will inevitably affect a live system; completely lying about there being an issue and hoping that no-one will notice is hugely unproffesional. Even worse, if they do not realise there is a HUGE PROBLEM, then they are simply grossly incompetent. Every single CS representative has failed to grasp the very obvious and very EASY TO TEST issue, and all the teams need replacing for competent people who will LISTEN to their customers.

Sorry about the rant, it just seems I cannot complain to eBay CS staff directly about this as they seem to wilfully misunderstand or flatly refuse that there is a really big problem affecting our livelihoods.

Uploaded 2 screenshots for the benefit of someone from eBay if they can be bothered to look at this discusson.

First pictures is  a search with 423,000 listings or so, I press 'Search' again, and suddenly it's down to 408,000 listings, this keeps changing every time I press 'Search' or move to the next page.

Message 31 of 41
latest reply

Just checked-in at 6:30 am EST here in North East US and the search functionality is still hopelessly broken.  This is indicative of an eBay server RAID disk drive fail-over issue that is going unrecognized by data center personnel. Search continues to return unpredictable results mostly reverting to the previous day's listings with a very small number of new listings displayed when switching back and forth from Buy-it-Now to Auction to All Listings. That eBay customer support refuses to acknowledge and or seek remediation for this very real technical issue is unacceptible and may warrant a class action suit if sellers are being charged for a service that eBay is not providing. I don't know the financial numbers but hazarding a good guess we are talking about hundreds of thousands of dollars in lost sales revenue per day. This is very frustrating for sellers and likewise for buyers like myself who shop almost exclusively on eBay. I just give up on searching since the results are so arbitrary even when looking up sold items trying to verify the search functionality. It doesn't take a network engineer at eBay tech support to sit down at a desktop and do a simple search to confirm that which a great number of eBay users have been reporting. This tells me that eBay is consciously avoiding the issue and to date, knowingly refusing to acknowledge the problem much to the loss of it's buying and selling community. This is the result of executive arrogance in busnesses that see themselves as entities too-big-to-fail.

Message 32 of 41
latest reply

Here in Pa the issue is present but the results dont vary drastically. They still vary though. 

Message 33 of 41
latest reply

Thanks for testing, it looks like it's working for you properly, a variance of up to a 1000 is acceptable as it needs to take into account listings dropping off and going back on. Here I'm experiencing a variance of between 15,000 and (last night) 100,000 after clicking search immediately after the page has loaded with the previous number.

Millvillage-Inn sounds about right, it sounds like there was a failover that eBay themselves haven't recognised, or they are keeping hush hush.

eBay fails sometimes, fine, it's a massive cluster of databases that is constantly live or rotating-live. It is genuinely frightening that eBay don't seem to be aware or competent enough to see there's a problem. Perhaps if it's not affecting North America, they don't care?
Message 34 of 41
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone! I apologize for the delay in our reply here. This was something reported to our tech team and they have since confirmed the issue has been resolved. All newly listed items should be showing on the site now (outside of normal indexing times). If you continue to run into issues, try clearing cache/cookies or a different browser but definitely let us know!

Message 35 of 41
latest reply

Hello Heidi, 

It's nice to have some kind of response from Ebay acknowledging there was a problem. To be honest I woudl have been happy to have gone away the first time around if Customer Service Chat team had simply said 'we know about it and are working on it', but they couldn't even muster that.

It's still not fixed. Please see screenshots. Almost been a week now and there is still over ten-thousand 10,000 listings going missing at the click of a button on this one search keyword, odds are this is affecting other search keywords as well, and maybe it's as bad as this keyword was a few days ago (100,000 listings missing out of 400,000 listings, that is 25% of ALL LISTINGS for the keyword), if not everything.... please can you pass along to eBay's technical team that they still have work to do and this still isn't working properly?

Thank You.

First screenshot is me doing my normal search, the second screenshot is just pressing the search button again and letting the SAME PAGE with the SAME CRITERIA and SAME FILTERS refresh. As you can see, over 10,000 listings have miraculously disappeared again.

Message 36 of 41
latest reply

Still STILL buggy? sigh.... Triple loss for everyone, buyers, sellers and all eBay sites.
Triple win for competitors!
Message 37 of 41
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@galaxy-boutique wrote:

Hello Heidi, 

It's nice to have some kind of response from Ebay acknowledging there was a problem. To be honest I woudl have been happy to have gone away the first time around if Customer Service Chat team had simply said 'we know about it and are working on it', but they couldn't even muster that.

It's still not fixed. Please see screenshots. Almost been a week now and there is still over ten-thousand 10,000 listings going missing at the click of a button on this one search keyword, odds are this is affecting other search keywords as well, and maybe it's as bad as this keyword was a few days ago (100,000 listings missing out of 400,000 listings, that is 25% of ALL LISTINGS for the keyword), if not everything.... please can you pass along to eBay's technical team that they still have work to do and this still isn't working properly?

Thank You.

First screenshot is me doing my normal search, the second screenshot is just pressing the search button again and letting the SAME PAGE with the SAME CRITERIA and SAME FILTERS refresh. As you can see, over 10,000 listings have miraculously disappeared again.

Hi @galaxy-boutique - It seems the issue you're reporting here is different than the one originally mentioned in this thread. That said, we definitely want to report any issues like this but I'm having a hard time replicating it. When I refresh after searching for "transformer" I see a few new listings come in, increasing the number not decreasing it. I've tried both on the app and through Chrome. 

With "transformer" being such a vague term, it could be fluctuating for you because of the number of listings returned with that keyword. Would you mind trying to search something more specific with regards to transformer to see if the same behavior occurs? Keep me posted!

Message 38 of 41
latest reply

Version:1.0 StartHTML:000000253 EndHTML:000008060 StartFragment:000001989 EndFragment:000008028 StartSelection:000001989 EndSelection:000008028 SourceURL:http://community.ebay.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/technicalissues-db/message-id/30935

Hi Heidi,

Thanks for your reply... Being 'more specific' would make it impossible to replicate the issue at all as the variance would logically be too small seeing as it flips 15,000 listings (this is still showing randomly either 425,000 or 409,000 listings randomly depending on what page I advance to or when I refresh the same page. 

If I was to say... limit the search term to a subset such as  'Power Transformers', or 'Trainset Transformers', it would be a much smaller subsection of the 425,000 listings which show when make the entire set.

So say 'Power Transformers' is 80,000 items, unless all 15,000 items that randomly go missing every couple of minutes is all within the subset 'Power Transformers', then the 'missing listings' are not likely to show up at all.

I only use 'Transformer' as my search term, which tends to include Power Transformers, Trainset Transformers, Transformers for appliances, books with 'Transformer' in the title, Exercise DVD's, and Transformer Toys.

I 'know' the daily day-to-day amount of listings up on eBay for 'Worldwide' for 'Transformers' as a keyword, but I have no idea how many there should be for a subset or subset of a subset of that search term, or indeed other keywords.

Unless you are able to provide me with the number of listings I SHOULD be seeing for any given keyword or set of keywords, then there is no point me testing, if you can provide me with that I am happy to spend more time doing eBay's testing for them as this is an issue where thousdands of listings are still missing depending on luck at any given minute or click of the 'search' button or 'next' button, or clicking on a page number.

As such it is completley pointless me searching for any subset or particular model \ make of 'Transformer' as I do not know how many there should be, and if the figure goes down, it is VERY unlikely to be all 15,000 missing listings, it could just be 5, or 500, but I would have no idea as I never search reguarly for these subsets, just the search term; the only reason I am able to say with confidence there is a huge issue, is because I search the same very wide search term several hundred times a day, week-in, week-out.

If you are having problems replicating the issue (which I cannot make go away on different browsers, different internet connections, or different computers completely), the only thing that differs between us is likely location. Are you carrying out your 'tests' on eBay UK? It may also be worth you (or someone in your technical team), to spoof a UK IP address, as I would imagine that International eBay sites are sitting on different servers, call up different databses, and will vary their display depending on IP address or whatever other information the eBay webpages take to determine location data to decide what it dispalys, what adverts it displays, and what currency \ locality \ special-offers it spools-up.

If YOU think this is a different issue, which, following on from the OPs description 'missing listings', it is not, then please feel free to copy this to a new thread if it helps you manage this. I did describe the issue in several posts here, and no-one else seems to think it's a different issue, just yourself at this point.

Again, I do not really fancy spending hours having to repeat there is an issue and then getting the same feedback of 'we can't see it, you must be imagining it' response that I got from eBay Customer Service Chat which lead me essentially to complain about it here. 

I understand that problems occur on eBay and it is a VERY complex system, but the denial of problems or the inability of your 1st Line support to bother passing this on up the technical chain, or if they have, the inability of your 2nd line or your network system professionals to be able to even SEE this issue with what I assume is basic IT troubleshooting skills is either very worrying, or very insulting.

Literally 1000's of listings are going missing, I am definitely NOT the only person to report this. If you type into Google 'Ebay search issues' and look for what people have been saying over the past week, you will see that I am not imagining this or enjoying wasting my time because I have nothing better to do with my life.

Please, please, please, can you get someone to understand and verify that there still appears to be some kind of database \ listing problem and that it's being worked on still as I can't waste 30 minutes every day repeating myself that there is an issue eBay seem to be simply trying to dust under the carpet. 

We are losing sales, we are unable to purchase, and it feels like we are just screaming at a brick wall. 

Again, Thank You for providing some kind of response. I personally just want eBay to acknowledge that something may not be right and they are doing everything they can to put it right, I'm not demanding 'fix it right now' I know it's not that easy, but it seems ridiculous that this is being put by every CS person I speak to as 'It's definitely just you and your computer'. It really isn't.

Many Thanks,

PhilVersion:1.0 StartHTML:000000253 EndHTML:000008060 StartFragment:000001989 EndFragment:000008028 StartSelection:000001989 EndSelection:000008028 SourceURL:http://community.ebay.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/technicalissues-db/message-id/30935

Hi Heidi,

Thanks for your reply... Being 'more specific' would make it impossible to replicate the issue at all as the variance would logically be too small seeing as it flips 15,000 listings (this is still showing randomly either 425,000 or 409,000 listings randomly depending on what page I advance to or when I refresh the same page. 

If I was to say... limit the search term to a subset such as  'Power Transformers', or 'Trainset Transformers', it would be a much smaller subsection of the 425,000 listings which show when make the entire set.

So say 'Power Transformers' is 80,000 items, unless all 15,000 items that randomly go missing every couple of minutes is all within the subset 'Power Transformers', then the 'missing listings' are not likely to show up at all.

I only use 'Transformer' as my search term, which tends to include Power Transformers, Trainset Transformers, Transformers for appliances, books with 'Transformer' in the title, Exercise DVD's, and Transformer Toys.

I 'know' the daily day-to-day amount of listings up on eBay for 'Worldwide' for 'Transformers' as a keyword, but I have no idea how many there should be for a subset or subset of a subset of that search term, or indeed other keywords.

Unless you are able to provide me with the number of listings I SHOULD be seeing for any given keyword or set of keywords, then there is no point me testing, if you can provide me with that I am happy to spend more time doing eBay's testing for them as this is an issue where thousdands of listings are still missing depending on luck at any given minute or click of the 'search' button or 'next' button, or clicking on a page number.

As such it is completley pointless me searching for any subset or particular model \ make of 'Transformer' as I do not know how many there should be, and if the figure goes down, it is VERY unlikely to be all 15,000 missing listings, it could just be 5, or 500, but I would have no idea as I never search reguarly for these subsets, just the search term; the only reason I am able to say with confidence there is a huge issue, is because I search the same very wide search term several hundred times a day, week-in, week-out.

If you are having problems replicating the issue (which I cannot make go away on different browsers, different internet connections, or different computers completely), the only thing that differs between us is likely location. Are you carrying out your 'tests' on eBay UK? It may also be worth you (or someone in your technical team), to spoof a UK IP address, as I would imagine that International eBay sites are sitting on different servers, call up different databses, and will vary their display depending on IP address or whatever other information the eBay webpages take to determine location data to decide what it dispalys, what adverts it displays, and what currency \ locality \ special-offers it spools-up.

If YOU think this is a different issue, which, following on from the OPs description 'missing listings', it is not, then please feel free to copy this to a new thread if it helps you manage this. I did describe the issue in several posts here, and no-one else seems to think it's a different issue, just yourself at this point.

Again, I do not really fancy spending hours having to repeat there is an issue and then getting the same feedback of 'we can't see it, you must be imagining it' response that I got from eBay Customer Service Chat which lead me essentially to complain about it here. 

I understand that problems occur on eBay and it is a VERY complex system, but the denial of problems or the inability of your 1st Line support to bother passing this on up the technical chain, or if they have, the inability of your 2nd line or your network system professionals to be able to even SEE this issue with what I assume is basic IT troubleshooting skills is either very worrying, or very insulting.

Literally 1000's of listings are going missing, I am definitely NOT the only person to report this. If you type into Google 'Ebay search issues' and look for what people have been saying over the past week, you will see that I am not imagining this or enjoying wasting my time because I have nothing better to do with my life.

Please, please, please, can you get someone to understand and verify that there still appears to be some kind of database \ listing problem and that it's being worked on still as I can't waste 30 minutes every day repeating myself that there is an issue eBay seem to be simply trying to dust under the carpet. 

We are losing sales, we are unable to purchase, and it feels like we are just screaming at a brick wall. 

Again, Thank You for providing some kind of response. I personally just want eBay to acknowledge that something may not be right and they are doing everything they can to put it right, I'm not demanding 'fix it right now' I know it's not that easy, but it seems ridiculous that this is being put by every CS person I speak to as 'It's definitely just you and your computer'. It really isn't.

Many Thanks,

Phil

Message 39 of 41
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @galaxy-boutique - Thank you for following up with me. I apologize if my reply came across as not believing that an issue is occurring. It's difficult for us to troubleshoot a problem when we're unable to replicate it on our side. I'm not in the UK and I wouldn't be able to test this from the US using a UK IP address. If you haven't yet, I would encourage you to mention this on our eBay.co.uk Community Boards: http://community.ebay.co.uk/ They may have better resources to test this with you. 

I can certainly attempt to continue troubleshooting to help but I would need specific item numbers of listings that are missing from results. Given the volume of what's returned when searching "transformer", I don't know if it would be feasible of me to ask you for that info. I suggest contacting UK customer service again and hopefully we'll be able to have this escalated there.

Message 40 of 41
latest reply

Hello again Heidi,

Thanks for your continued response. I find it hard to believe that your technical team cannot use a simply free IP spoofing or basic VPN software to test this.

If this needs to be forwarded to a specific UK team, then please go ahead and do so.

I appreciate you specifically continuing to respond, I think I will let you get on with others now as it seems no matter whom I talk to (The original person I raised this with on eBay CS chat system, 'Michael' who has followed up via eBay to whom I've had to explain the issue to for a 3rd or 4th time; and yourself.

I simply no longer have the time to try and spell out the issue, to any of the item numbers of the 15,000 or so listings are missing that the eBay listings count is telling me is going missing, I can only guess, I would've thought this would of been well within eBay's capabilities to test and find out for themselves, but apparently not. Perhaps some more of our eBay fees should go into technical hires?

It just seems very sad that I'm being asked to repeat myself over and over again, not only to help myself, but to try and point out something that seems hugely serious for eBay as well, and the general response is 'We don't know, we can't replicate it, it doesn't exist, there is no problem, try shouting at another team for the best part of a week using your own time and get the same response from them.'.

If this does need to go to another team please go ahead and forward this thread to them and perhaps they can investigate further.

It just seems that there is little point reporting problems to eBay anymore so I'll quit getting angry and frustrated as life is too short. I'll hobble along and accellerate buying and selling items on other platforms instead of eBay.

Thanks again for all of your responses and I hope you have a nice evening.

Phil

Message 41 of 41
latest reply