cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MORE Search Issues ('More Filters' not Working)

Over the last week or so, during my daily perusals of saved searches, I've been having more and more trouble getting the More Filters link to respond. When I point the cursor at it, it <i>appears</i> to be a live link (pointer turns to the hand, link is underlined) but nothing happens when I click it.

At first (maybe a week ago) when it wouldn't work on any given search, refreshing the page would cause it to work. Then it became refresh the page several times and it would eventually work. Usually only one or two of the eight searches to which I add long lists of excluded sellers (too many to be saved in a search) would be balky.

But today it wouldn't work at all on ANY of the eight. Tried the old 'refresh' cure half a dozen times on four different searches before I gave up. (Only tried it once on the other four. ) Thankfully, Fri. and Sat. are slow listing days, so it wasn't too bad seeing what should have been excluded. And tomorrow won't be bad either, but if this persists into next week, it's doing to be a serious PITA! (I'm talking about searches that return tens of thousands of items being reduced by half to two thirds by excluding sellers.)

I use the latest version of Firefox and I tried clearing my cache, etc. Then I tried IE - no dice. Just this minute I fired up Chrome (which I've pretty much never even used) and that doesn't work, either.  So it just about has to be the site.

I also just tried clicking More Filters on some of my other searches where I normally don't use it. It worked in one click on a couple and wouldn't work at all on some others. ??  Anyone have any ideas? Any way to report it to Ebay?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@m-cstuff4u 

I have been noticing some other search page issues that might possibly be related; I am not sure. Some folks have mentioned menus not working, or page numbers not appearing. This appears to happen most when using many search terms or exclusions and also using price limits on those searches.

[As an aside: In the past I have had issues with an overly aggressive ad blocker preventing certain filter menus from appearing, so it might be worth temporarily disabling your ad blocker to see if that changes anything. If not...]

I notice that "more filters" link is generally associated with certain types of searches that start with the following URL: "ebay.com/sch/".

There is another type of search URL that begins with: "ebay.com/dsc/". Those usually have a "more refinements" link instead of that "more filters" link.

The problems I have noticed most lately involve the /sch/ searches -- the /dsc/ searches seem to work. The /sch/ search filter indicators appear, when applied in a search, as blue buttons at the top of the search. When filters are used with /dsc/ searches, the filters appear as text links rather than blue buttons.

So I am curious if you edit your search URL from /sch/ to /dsc/ and then hit 'enter' to load the new search, if your "more refinements" link works.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

@m-cstuff4u 

I have been noticing some other search page issues that might possibly be related; I am not sure. Some folks have mentioned menus not working, or page numbers not appearing. This appears to happen most when using many search terms or exclusions and also using price limits on those searches.

[As an aside: In the past I have had issues with an overly aggressive ad blocker preventing certain filter menus from appearing, so it might be worth temporarily disabling your ad blocker to see if that changes anything. If not...]

I notice that "more filters" link is generally associated with certain types of searches that start with the following URL: "ebay.com/sch/".

There is another type of search URL that begins with: "ebay.com/dsc/". Those usually have a "more refinements" link instead of that "more filters" link.

The problems I have noticed most lately involve the /sch/ searches -- the /dsc/ searches seem to work. The /sch/ search filter indicators appear, when applied in a search, as blue buttons at the top of the search. When filters are used with /dsc/ searches, the filters appear as text links rather than blue buttons.

So I am curious if you edit your search URL from /sch/ to /dsc/ and then hit 'enter' to load the new search, if your "more refinements" link works.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Yes, that worked on every one of them! I don't pretend to have any idea what the /dsc/ and /sch/ mean, but I certainly thank you the apparent cure!

So I just re-save them with /dsc/ plugged into the URL and they stay that way, correct? Easy enough!

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Drop down menu for "Sort By" doesn't work for me, on Chrome, FireFox, or Brave. Wth?

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@bigbabymoses06 

If you are looking for a workaround to change your sort order, use the Advanced link to reach the Advanced Search page; from there you should be able to change the sort order at the bottom of the page.

Or else try changing your search URL from /sch/ to /dsc/ -- see my post above for details.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@m-cstuff4u 

Glad to hear that worked!

I think you should be able to save the new searches in place of the old ones. Bookmarking them also works. If you bookmark a /dsc/ search and use that bookmark as the basis of further searches, all the searches you do should should remain of that type, I believe.

I do not know why eBay has two distinct types of searches or what the distinction between them is, other than one of them seems to be broken at the moment.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

GREAT workaround, thank you! A bit frustrating the basic search basically stopped working for me.  Interestingly enough, after doing an advanced search the drop down works again, but only after the advanced search. Opening a new tab its back to not working.

Thanks again.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

changing the url to dsc works.  It is amazing how often ebay always has weird issues pop up.  If they would only just stop screwing with stuff that is not broken in the first place.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I just tried replacing the searches. It SAYS the /dsc/ search was saved, but all it does is replace the old /sch/ search with the same /sch/ search. So I guess it's use bookmarks or modify the URL every time. Ugh. Thanks again, though, for providing SOME kind of solution!

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Hmmm....another annoyance: On the /dsc/ search with the sellers excluded, when you click on an item to view it and then go back to the search page, it goes back to the top of the search page. Then you have to go find where you were on a 200-item page. Still beats not being able to add the sellers, though! 🙂

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@m-cstuff4u 

when you click on an item to view it and then go back to the search page, it goes back to the top of the search page. Then you have to go find where you were on a 200-item page.

If you are using a desktop browser, try opening an item from the search results page by right-clicking and "Open link in a new tab". When you are done looking at the item listing you can close the tab, and you will be left at the exact spot in the search in the original tab. Or you can open several different items, each in its own tab and wait until you reach the end of the search results to examine each one.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply