cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay automatically opening new tabs

Since updating to the latest version of Firefox (89), Ebay automatically opens a new tab when clicking on an item link. Is this just a bug or is there any way to stop it?

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Ebay automatically opening new tabs

This appears to be something eBay has done recently to change the default behavior when following a link in search results, rather than something Firefox has changed. Other browsers show the same results.

There are ways to change the default behavior of your browser so that links always open in the same browser tab by default, but such workarounds may cause other things to break. I have noticed that I have difficulty checking out with PayPal since changing my browser settings in an attempt to get around eBay's new behavior -- the PayPal sign-in no longer appears in a separate pop-up window, and I now have to use a different browser to complete checkout that way.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

dowse333
Enthusiast

I have the same problem and it is sooooooooooooooooooooo anoying that I will have to stop using ebay. It's just too much work having to close all those open tabs. Good bye ebay, I can live without you!

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

I didn't like it at first, but it's growing on me.

If closing a window with a click is too much work, you haven't done real work in your life.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

PLEASE!  Is that the best you can do evry1nositswindy.  

I too find it very annoying, conscious or subliminal I have changed my purchasing habits.  Most of the time I copied the description and paste it in Amazon to avoid the frustration of a computer screen full of tabs. 

If you care, take note eBay, you can check my buying records.  This is from someone that was for years considered a power seller and buyer. 

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Thanks eburtonlab I will have a look. 

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Hello, do a search for something, to the right of Best Match, there are three lines, click that and go to customize, and change setting to same tab.  Seemed to work for me. Thanks. 

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

That worked for me! Thanks. It was so frustrating.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Hello,

i tried to change the setting in the customize menu.  I am on a M1 Pro MBP, and I tried using Safari, Edge, Firefox, and Orion.  eBay won't open items i click on in the same tab.  It seems to ignore my settings.  How to address this?  Very frustrating.  When I sign out and sign back in, all the other settings I change in the customize menu takes, except this one...this is the one setting I really want to change.  Any help appreciated.

Willie

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

This used to work, but now regardless of browser ebay opens item listing in new browser/tab rather than same window. Annoying I can't just hit back button to go back to the listings.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Yep, someone at eBay decided to "fix" something, and now we all have to suffer for who knows who long.  Typical eBay behavior.....

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Same here.   Tried on on all,  different browsers both home and work and even private/non-private too. Have the customize settings set to open in same tab. This happened to me also about a year or so ago but sorted itself out . How I do not know but it did.  Now the behavior is back and doesn't seem to be a "fix" for this. Very annoying and very frustrating.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

@dowse333 wrote:

I have the same problem and it is sooooooooooooooooooooo anoying that I will have to stop using ebay. It's just too much work having to close all those open tabs. Good bye ebay, I can live without you!

If this is something that is so stressful for you, I have to agree that you and ebay aren't a good fit! 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

I find this very annoying. The suggested fix seems to work, but only for that particular session. If I close Ebay when I go back to it the default is to open items in a new tab. So I have to remember to modify it each and every time I visit Ebay, which is a bit of a pain.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply