cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Financial Summary Chaos with PLAs

I have two stores and when Promoted Listings Advanced was released, I jumped in with both feat in my larger store. I promoted a couple hundred listings with multiple keywords and a $10/day budget. After two weeks I'd spent about $120 with zero PLA sales. Zero. Oh, I was getting a lot of clicks, but my sales had dropped significantly from when I was using Promoted Listings Standard, which I'd always been able to use successfully.

Two weeks was long enough because my Financial Summary page had turned into total chaos. Every 3- to 5-cent click was listed separately, making it impossible to find anything else on the page. I use the Summary page to get my net profit after every sale and to see if a PLS applied. I couldn't find anything on the page without spending way too much time digging through hundreds of minuscule entries because sales were buried throughout.

The click costs would be more manageable if they were summarized on the page daily. Certainly eBay can list every click somewhere besides the Summary page, which had lost all usefulness. After all, it's called a S-U-M-M-A-R-Y.

It's highly likely my lack of PLA success was due to my inexperience with CPCs, which I tried only once years ago on Google. While I might want to learn more about running a successful campaign, that's never going to happen if it means returning my Summary page to that horrible mess. If eBay fixes that, maybe I'll give it another shot.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@walnutcreekhome  - when I tested PLA back in September they were showing daily charges in the summary on the per listing level, but not each individual click. 

So for example, if a listing had 1 click at $0.25, 2 clicks at $0.20, and 2 clicks at $0.10, it would show one entry in the summary for that day with that listing number and a total of $0.85.

If they've changed that now to each click, boy what a mess!

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Promoted-Listings-Advanced-Is-Here-Including-Negative-Keywords...

My test only had about 20 items in it and I didn't let it run long, so it didn't get to be too overwhelming, but I can definitely see if you had 100s of items running and they all got clicks every day, that could make the summary page difficult to manage even if it's per listing - let alone per click.

adsteam@ebay  has there been a change to how ad fees are shown in the payments summary?

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Wow! Since this is one of the ways ebay shows their profits these days (everything else is at a loss) you'd think they'd make it better than what you're describing.  I hope someone has a solution for you that's viable!  I'm so sorry.  That was tough to read.  

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@walnutcreekhome  - when I tested PLA back in September they were showing daily charges in the summary on the per listing level, but not each individual click. 

So for example, if a listing had 1 click at $0.25, 2 clicks at $0.20, and 2 clicks at $0.10, it would show one entry in the summary for that day with that listing number and a total of $0.85.

If they've changed that now to each click, boy what a mess!

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Promoted-Listings-Advanced-Is-Here-Including-Negative-Keywords...

My test only had about 20 items in it and I didn't let it run long, so it didn't get to be too overwhelming, but I can definitely see if you had 100s of items running and they all got clicks every day, that could make the summary page difficult to manage even if it's per listing - let alone per click.

adsteam@ebay  has there been a change to how ad fees are shown in the payments summary?

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Thanks! To be honest, I don't recall if it was per listing or per click. I thought it was per click simply because there were so many of them and so many were tiny, just a few cents each. But you may be right, it may have been per listing, like you said. Either way, though, there were hundreds of clicks so they were impossible to analyze and impossible to sort through. Perhaps the answer is to promote only one or two listings, though that hardly seems worth the effort. And since my ROI was zero, I'm finding it difficult to justify another go. I went back to look at everything again, but the numbers are all way off now. Not sure why.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@walnutcreekhome wrote:

I have two stores and when Promoted Listings Advanced was released, I jumped in with both feat in my larger store. I promoted a couple hundred listings with multiple keywords and a $10/day budget. After two weeks I'd spent about $120 with zero PLA sales. Zero. Oh, I was getting a lot of clicks, but my sales had dropped significantly from when I was using Promoted Listings Standard, which I'd always been able to use successfully.

Two weeks was long enough because my Financial Summary page had turned into total chaos. Every 3- to 5-cent click was listed separately, making it impossible to find anything else on the page. I use the Summary page to get my net profit after every sale and to see if a PLS applied. I couldn't find anything on the page without spending way too much time digging through hundreds of minuscule entries because sales were buried throughout.

The click costs would be more manageable if they were summarized on the page daily. Certainly eBay can list every click somewhere besides the Summary page, which had lost all usefulness. After all, it's called a S-U-M-M-A-R-Y.

It's highly likely my lack of PLA success was due to my inexperience with CPCs, which I tried only once years ago on Google. While I might want to learn more about running a successful campaign, that's never going to happen if it means returning my Summary page to that horrible mess. If eBay fixes that, maybe I'll give it another shot.

Hi @walnutcreekhome,

Thanks for being a seller on eBay and testing out Promoted Listings AdvancedBETA. We appreciate you telling us about the frustration you’re having when reviewing the Payments tab and will forward that feedback along to our product team.

We can confirm that there’s been no change to how we show charges for a Promoted Listings AdvancedBETA campaign. We combine all clicks a seller receives on a Promoted Listings AdvancedBETA ad in a given campaign on a daily basis. These charges are reported at a listing level. From your Payments tab or invoice, you’ll see the campaign ID, click date, total number of clicks, and average cost-per-click per listing. 

You can also download reports for your Promoted Listings AdvancedBETA campaigns from your Marketing and Reports tabs within Seller Hub. Downloading reports from the Marketing tab works best for when you want a summary for a single campaign over a set period of time. Downloading reports from the Reports tab works best for when you want to schedule or download reports at the account level, for multiple campaigns at once, or view your daily performance. Here’s how download those reports:

• To download reports from the Marketing tab:
    • Navigate to the advertising dashboard
    • Select “Promoted Listings Advanced” from the “Campaign type” dropdown menu
    • Scroll down to the campaigns section and identify the campaign you would like to download a report for
    • Expand the menu next to “Edit” and select the type of report you would like to generate
  • To download reports from the Reports tab:
    • Click on “Download” 
    • Click on “Download report”
    • Selecting the following report parameters:
      • Source → Marketing
      • Campaign type → Promoted Listings AdvancedBETA
      • Type → Keyword, Listing, Campaign, or Search query
  • To schedule reports from the Reports tab:
    • Click on “Schedule” 
    • Click on “Schedule report”
    • Create a download schedule by selecting the following report parameters:
      • Source → Marketing
      • Campaign type → Promoted Listings AdvancedBETA
      • Type → Keyword, Listing, Campaign, or Search query
      • Frequency → Daily, Weekly, or Monthly 

Reviewing these reports is a great way to get an in-depth look at your Promoted Listings AdvancedBETA campaign performance and discover how to optimize it for the future.

We appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback and hope you will continue sharing it in the future.  Thank you for being a valued seller and an important part of our community on eBay.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Thank you for your response. It seems the only solution is to promote no more than a couple listings at a time to avoid the massive confusion. Promoting a lot of listings will always result in the same issue. If I have one click a day on each of 50 listings, you can see the chaos that would create. Since the information is available in other places, it doesn't seem necessary to clutter the summary page with each listing click, even when totaled by the day. I knew about the reports, but that wasn't helping my primary problem.

I'm not sure if I'll try them again; I haven't decided. After all, I saw zero promoted sales when I was promoting a lot of listings. It's hard to believe I'll see an improvement if I promote only a small number.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply