cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purchased a faulty laptop.

Dear All,

I purchased a 17 inch dell laptop. Now the seller does not ship to Nigeria where I reside but to my a shipping service company that provides US address for people who don't live in the US.

The laptop was shipped to me via my address in the US. My prayer was that the laptop should not have any problems because to return it to the US would cost me more that the price I purchased it for as well as the price to ship to Nigeria which in total was at most $200.

When I finally received the laptop, switched it on. The laptop did not come on, there was nothing on the screen but the power-up, power-down and mute buttons were blinking. This indicated that the motherboard is faulty. I reached out to seller to notify that there was a problem with the laptop. At first seller accepted that I return the laptop even though I had indicated I would rather repair but that he would not have sold a laptop that was faulty and indicated this on ebay instead of portraying the laptop as in excellent condition. seller later reversed his decision to accept a return stating that since the product was shipped tto nigeria then it must have been damaged enroute to Nigeria.

I was not intending on returning the laptop but seller should not have listed that the laptop was in excellent condition when it actually had a fault. Now I have to spend additional money to buy a motherboard.

But I have learnt a good lesson buying items on ebay. I thought sellers where reliable so I would not need to test any item that was stated as being in good working condition.

Rgds.

Ishmael 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Do you have any idea what a package goes through in shipping ? Items that work perfectly when shipped are often broken in route , just as a light that worked one day burns out the next , accusing the seller of something you cannot prove is very wrong .

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Are you aware that you had NO buyer protection on this in the first place? You used a forwarding service. Once the package was forwarded to Nigeria--you lost your buyer protection. There is no telling what your forwarder to do the package and the item. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@smilee42012 wrote:

...When I finally received the laptop, switched it on. The laptop did not come on, there was nothing on the screen but the power-up, power-down and mute buttons were blinking. This indicated that the motherboard is faulty.... 

That's a BIG assumption. Computers rarely have hardware problems BTW, but that's another subject. Anyway, when you use a freight forwarder, you wave your eBay MBG. Unless you paid with a credit card, I'm afraid you own it.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply