cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Royal Copenhagen Roaring Bear 502 - Unmarked

Hello, could you help me resolve the mystery with this figurine? It looks totally as Royal Copenhagen figure 502. It doesn't have any marks on the base, however. Also, the base is flat which is unusual.

But on one of the auction websites I have found a  genuine 1901 figurine of the roaring bear which also has a flat base.

I find this figure rather confusing, because I read that from 1775 Royal Copenhagen always marked their porcelain. Could anyone help me to ID whether this figurine is fake or real? I think it might maybe not as much a fake, but a factory defect that was not intended for sale. 

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

This is definitely NOT Royal Copenhagen.

The foot indicates that the piece is earthenware, not porcelain.  If RC it would have had a flat finished fine porcelain foot ring, which this does not.

The piece is well cast and perhaps was a Czech product.  The very well pictured finish also is consistant with a Czech piece and not the fine diffused RC technique.

Most vintage Czech pieces would also have been marked, so perhaps this is even later.  

But in answer to your original question, this is not Royal Copenhagen.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Many thanks for your reply! Wow, never could think that it is Czech!

Message 3 of 3
latest reply