cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need an ID on this set, worried it's not real.

I want to purchase this from someone who doesn't want it anymore. She said her gram brought it over in the 20s along with a red set and from the research I've done online this looks a lot like the salviati carnival set but not exact. Is this a knock off replica? If. So wouldn't the replicator want to make it exact?

Any help would be appreciated as I do not know very much about glass. Thank you. 

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

How much is she asking? Personally,I wouldnt pay more than $50-60 for it as you cant give this stuff away these days. It is a pretty little set none the less.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 11 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

The question is, why would anyone go to the trouble of doing a knock-off  of this? The negligible demand wouldn't nearly justify the costs that would go into the money invested to set up a plant or factory to reproduce it. 

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

I'm not sure why I guess some people will do whatever they need to for money? Not sure but if someone could make a fke salviati anything and sold it they'd make decent money. I'm hoping to identify it but I'm so not good with glass. Trying to learn!

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

The market for that kind of glass would be incredibly small so anyone who wanted to go to all the trouble to set up everything it would take for reproducing would not make a profit on it. In fact. they'd go into debt. Not worth anyone's while/time/money to reproduce it.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

are we talking about the salviati on the island of murano?  if so, this looks nothing like what I know that they do.   this pattern is attributed to bohemian makers as far as I can find.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I'm not so sure like I said idk much about glass but this is the design I'm talking about and wondering if someone maybe tried to reproduce it? I'm sorry I wish I knew more about glass I feel dumb but I do appreciate you all helping out 

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Generically the decoration is "mary gregory style" made in Czech, England and USA. This looks tome to be 1930's in glass and decoration style. The glass maker and the decorator are likely two different operations. It looks good to me.
george
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Thank you I've never heard of her as a glass maker so I did Google her and some of her work and it seems she did have the same style but painted mostly children. Her work is beautiful I can't help but wish I had a piece. I do know you said it was in her style so I'm gonna do my best to do more research on these items.

It's hard to research though when you have other items that need identification and you're a newbie like me who is still in the process of learning makers marks. It's very overwhelming to me and I truly appreciate the help and knowledge I get from the ebay community. 

I'm too scared to buy it until I see the same set and can find some information about it but like others said it would be a small market and possibly something I'd give as a gift or keep for myself and I'm not sure I love it enough to keep it. It's not really my style. 

But thank you for the information I will continue searching for these items online and hope maybe someone will be able to identify it 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

mary gregory is a generic name for glass painted with children images.  She is not the maker or the decorator of this type of glasss.  The pieces in question are not mary gregory style of decorated glass.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Thank you ☺️
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

How much is she asking? Personally,I wouldnt pay more than $50-60 for it as you cant give this stuff away these days. It is a pretty little set none the less.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply