cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good description for stoneware manufacturing marks?

I saw a perfectly-worded statement about the nature-of-the-beast with stoneware...and evidently failed to save it. I am fastidious to carefully note & photograph any flaws from usage, but I doubt that I’ve ever seen a “perfect” piece of stoneware. 

For example: I have Mikasa plates in several patterns, of varying ages, all of which have 3 small “pimples” underneath & evenly spaced apart. They have to be from removing pieces from the manufacturing mold. Or, there may be a couple of tiny popped air bubbles under the glaze, but not enough for the piece to be considered a manufacturing second. 

Please share if you have a concise statement that you include in stoneware listings. Many thanks!

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

the three "pimples" are kiln stilt marks, they are not flaws

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Thanks, @md1919. Agreed, not flaws. Thank you for sharing the proper name for them! I’ve seen where others include a statement regarding these normal occurrences with stoneware. I looked through lots of listings today and couldn’t find an example that included appropriate terminology such as kiln stilt marks. “This plate has 3 pimples” isn’t something I’d put in a listing, but I think it’s good to acknowledge awareness of these or other (seeming) irregularities that are nothing more than part of the production process. 

Message 3 of 3
latest reply