cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help ID Artist Signed Postcard Detroit Publishing

Hi,  I've searched and searched and can't find any info on this artist signed postcard titled "Song of the Woods"  a Photostint printed by Detroit Publishing Co No. 14634 and I can't make out the signature. 

Thank you

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I have no info as to the artist, but this card is last of five in a series of Art Designs Showing Girls and Landscapes.  I have not come acrossed this card amoung my hoard... yet.

A computer app is a reflection of its creator. Show me a robust computer app and I will show you an intelligent programmer.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Thanks Larry.  To my very untrained eye the art bears a resemblance to Harrison Fishers "The Debutante" which I stumbled across online.  But the signature doesn't look like the examples I've seen of his.  I can't even find a trace of the artwork itself, not on a postcard.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

There was a series done with this same lady's face with a blue background and they were often sold as Schmucker works (which means nothing except a seller labeled them).  I'll try to find them this evening and get back so you can compare. 

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Hi, thank you for responding.  I FINALLY found the artist.  J. Ross Bryson.  Once I found the signature, it was unmistakeable.  However, I still can't find any other examples of this card or of his painting.  I have listed it at auction at a high price because as far as I can tell, it's pretty scarce.  So if you see it listed don't let it's price knock your socks off.  You can laugh at it if you like 🙂

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

woah this new format is just about unusable...management is trying to force us to use cellphones to use this website.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply