cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Special Promotion" fee on non-promoted listings?

I have recently been getting charged an additional "special promotion" fee on listings that *were not* promoted. I do have some promoted items, and when those sell, it shows up in my payment feed as a separate transaction, so I know this is different. I also have a sale running on my store, but this particular item is not part of that sale. Can anybody explain what's going on? They aren't usually large fees, just little ways to leak money out. 😞 See the attached screenshot...

Screenshot 2021-06-16 9.10.11 AM.png

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

The FVF fee on $39.50 @ 12.55% is actually $4.96  - the "Special Promotion $.50" is actually a credit, which is why you were only charged a FVF of $4.46.

Why eBay wouldn't make it clear that the promo is a credit instead of a debit is beyond me.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

The FVF fee on $39.50 @ 12.55% is actually $4.96  - the "Special Promotion $.50" is actually a credit, which is why you were only charged a FVF of $4.46.

Why eBay wouldn't make it clear that the promo is a credit instead of a debit is beyond me.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Ah, yes. Doing the math would have told me that, but yes, why didn't eBay say so? 🙂 Thanks for clearing it up for me! I appreciate it. 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

The word "fee" is what makes this confusing.  So what exactly is the "Special Promotion" fee on non-promoted listings?  How is this "discount" calculated or determined?  Is there a qualification to receive it?  I see it on almost all my sold listings, but I don't understand it.  Originally, I though is was a cap but now I'm not sure there is a cap.  Before eBay managed payments, the cap was $250 except on certain items.  Is there still a cap?  Some of my items can be quite a bit of money, $20K+.  

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

In my case (and probably yours), this has nothing to do with promoted listings.  Instead it is likely your Top Rated Seller Discount (10%) of the Final Value Fees.

12.55% of $39.50 = $4.96 for Final Value Fees, but you get a discount of 10% of $4.96=$0.50

Hence your Total Final Value Fees are only $4.96 - $0.50 = $4.46, so eBay subtracts the $4.46 from your payout.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Thanks for clearing that up! Yes, would have been so nice if eBay listed that as a credit.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Yes and likely the TRS discount.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 7 of 7
latest reply