cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

managed payments boycott

For those of us who hate this new ebay system. Boycott your purchases. Nobody purchase for a month see if they fold. I don't know about anyone else but this has been real sucky. It seems that I have to ship before I get paid. Also they outright lied to us. They said turnaround would be 2 days when it is proving to be 3-4 days. which means if I sell something thursday night, I don't get paid til the following wednesday or tursday. I don't know about you all but I feel really screwed by ebay. I have been on here for 20 years. I am boy\cotting. rally around this. Stand up for ourselves.

Message 1 of 137
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: managed payments boycott

Actually there is a BIG difference between eBay and Etsy's managed payments. I've been on eBay over 20 years and I have NOT signed up for managed payments because eBay requires FULL SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER TO SIGN UP. After reading over and over how both marketplaces use the same system, I decided to find out for myself. Etsy only requires LAST 4 digits of social security. For someone like me, who was compromised by identity theft, that is a MAJOR difference. So after all these years of selling on eBay, I have ended my yearly store subscription and will pay monthly until it is no longer cost effective to do so or eBay takes away my ability to sell through PayPal. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 137
latest reply
136 REPLIES 136

Boycotts never work.   Anyway, why would buyers want to boycott?   MP doesn't affect them at all.

Message 2 of 137
latest reply

@kenzienana,

Before accepting ebay's invitation to join Managed Payments, you should have come to these boards and searched for the topics about it.  I have not seen one positive one yet by any ebay seller.   You've been selling long enough to know that any changes ebay has made to the selling rules benefits ebay, not its sellers, no matter how nicely they wrap it up.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 137
latest reply

Mangled payments does suck but worse is the collection of sales tax by eBay for purchases that don't meet the sellers nexus for collection in the buyer's state.  When I see a sale that eBay collected tax on that is fundamentally predatory, I ask the buyer  if they're okay with paying tax on an item that's not legally taxable by nexus standards.  If they don't mind, no harm done.  If they aren't, I assist them in taking action to void the tax, to include sales tax on shipping.  Has anyone EVER paid state sales tax at a US Post Office?  I never have.  Getting more sales on eBid with lower fees and No Sales Tax Collected except for the state(s) where I meet the nexus.  Also my own website is getting more and more exposure.  

Message 4 of 137
latest reply

So the people who boycott might have to go to etsy or another site that uses the exact same types of payment processor. Gee that makes a lot of sense. Millions of sellers on Ebay. A small percentage that decide to protest wont make one bit of difference to them.  They just recruit more sellers as time goes by who may be very satisfied with the payment processor here. I have absolutely no problems with it and my sales are good.

Message 5 of 137
latest reply

@mudshark61369 wrote:

@kenzienana,

Before accepting ebay's invitation to join Managed Payments, you should have come to these boards and searched for the topics about it.  I have not seen one positive one yet by any ebay seller.   You've been selling long enough to know that any changes ebay has made to the selling rules benefits ebay, not its sellers, no matter how nicely they wrap it up.

Then you haven't read enough threads or you are overlooking some posts.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 6 of 137
latest reply

@quincydepot wrote:

Mangled payments does suck but worse is the collection of sales tax by eBay for purchases that don't meet the sellers nexus for collection in the buyer's state.  When I see a sale that eBay collected tax on that is fundamentally predatory, I ask the buyer  if they're okay with paying tax on an item that's not legally taxable by nexus standards.  If they don't mind, no harm done.  If they aren't, I assist them in taking action to void the tax, to include sales tax on shipping.  Has anyone EVER paid state sales tax at a US Post Office?  I never have.  Getting more sales on eBid with lower fees and No Sales Tax Collected except for the state(s) where I meet the nexus.  Also my own website is getting more and more exposure.  

@quincydepot 

Good grief you really need to understand this process better and stop dragging your buyers into it.  That is really bad business.  

The MFLs [marketplace facilitator laws] that 40+ states have passed legally REQUIRE Ebay to collect and remit sales tax for those states.  Your nexus in those states have zero to do with whether or not the tax is due.  The MFLs take that to a marketplace level instead of an individual seller level which is why they require the marketplaces to collect the sales tax.  Same thing on Etsy and Amazon.

" If they aren't, I assist them in taking action to void the tax, to include sales tax on shipping.  Has anyone EVER paid state sales tax at a US Post Office?"  Again you need to do your research.  Not all states require sales tax on shipping.  For those states that do, the sales tax is due when the shipping charges appear on the same invoice the buyer pays from.  That is how that works and that is why when you go to the PO to purchase postage you don't pay sales tax on it when you are just buying postage.

This link is a great place to start on the road to a better understanding.

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/paying-items/paying-tax-ebay-purchases?id=4771

Message 7 of 137
latest reply

Actually there is a BIG difference between eBay and Etsy's managed payments. I've been on eBay over 20 years and I have NOT signed up for managed payments because eBay requires FULL SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER TO SIGN UP. After reading over and over how both marketplaces use the same system, I decided to find out for myself. Etsy only requires LAST 4 digits of social security. For someone like me, who was compromised by identity theft, that is a MAJOR difference. So after all these years of selling on eBay, I have ended my yearly store subscription and will pay monthly until it is no longer cost effective to do so or eBay takes away my ability to sell through PayPal. 

Message 8 of 137
latest reply

Speaking of PayPal, you apparently had no problem giving them your complete SS#, as we all did.

Message 9 of 137
latest reply

I have been with PayPal since 1999, they have proven to be trustworthy with my information. Since that time, someone stole my name and social security number and started 5 real estate loans in my name. After that traumatic experience, I lived in fear for years they would seek me out. Since then I have NEVER given my social security number to anyone online. If you are comfortable giving your ss# to eBay, great, but I am not. 

Message 10 of 137
latest reply

@kenzienana wrote:

I have been on here for 20 years. I am boy\cotting. rally around this. Stand up for ourselves.

When is your boycott going to start, It shows you have 272 listings.

Have a great day
Message 11 of 137
latest reply

@sebil wrote:

@sebil 

So do they not issue 1099Ks?

Message 12 of 137
latest reply

@sebil wrote:

I have been with PayPal since 1999, they have proven to be trustworthy with my information. Since that time, someone stole my name and social security number and started 5 real estate loans in my name. After that traumatic experience, I lived in fear for years they would seek me out. Since then I have NEVER given my social security number to anyone online. If you are comfortable giving your ss# to eBay, great, but I am not. 

Ebay has been in business for 25 years and they have never had a breach of financial information on this site.  They have had financial info on sellers before MP.  So why is it a problem now and wasn't then??

Message 13 of 137
latest reply

@kenzienana wrote:

For those of us who hate this new ebay system. Boycott your purchases. Nobody purchase for a month see if they fold. I don't know about anyone else but this has been real sucky. It seems that I have to ship before I get paid. Also they outright lied to us. They said turnaround would be 2 days when it is proving to be 3-4 days. which means if I sell something thursday night, I don't get paid til the following wednesday or tursday. I don't know about you all but I feel really screwed by ebay. I have been on here for 20 years. I am boy\cotting. rally around this. Stand up for ourselves.

Buyer payments on my selling accounts are consistently processed in 1-2 days.

My "payout" is available next "business day" after it is made.

Before choosing to accept MP I was aware that eBay would not "front" the buyer payment the way PP did.

On my buying account I do not care if the seller is in MP.  It is of no concern to me. My payment processes the same way if the seller is in MP, or not in MP. I pay, and it's gone from my PP in an instant.

If you are going to boycott eBay, end your listings, or use the OOS option to make them unsearchable for buyers. You will still pay your store fees, so not sure how effective/practical your boycott will be.

Message 14 of 137
latest reply

@quincydepot wrote:

Many states now have marketplace facilitator laws in place requiring eBay and other sites to collect and remit that state's sales tax.  The seller having a nexus in those states no longer affects the collection of those taxes in those states.

Of course, whether or not the tax is collected and remitted by eBay or the seller, most states that charge their residents sales/use tax have required their residents to pay those taxes directly if they have not been collected at the time of purchase.

I'm not sure to what you're referring with regard to paying sales tax to the USPS.  If you purchase supplies from them I believe sales tax would apply.  However, I believe postage stamps are, in effect, a form of taxation itself. 

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 15 of 137
latest reply