cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to pay with PayPal on my phone

I've been having this problem for a while, but yesterday missed out on something rare because of it. When I choose to check out with PayPal, I'm taken to the PayPal app where I can select which payment method to use. All is good up until this point. I then select continue, the screen has a little shopping bag with a circle rotating around it in the center of the screen, and says "Thanks for using PayPal". And that's where it sits. Circle spinning, nothing happens. The transaction never goes through. I can repeat a dozen times, same thing. I can choose to "open PayPal in Chrome" and I get the same result. If I use my laptop instead of my phone the process works just fine. I'd like to say this problem coincided with the purchase of a new phone last year but I can't be sure. It's been happening for a while now. I'm using a Samsung/Android phone.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Try to delete and reinstall the PayPal app.

I have a Samsung tablet. A few days ago It went in circles for so long I had to keep tapping the page so it wouldn't close and just before I deleted the page it finally went through. It went in circles for what seemed like a long time but in reality I think it was 30 -45 seconds.

Make sure you're current on Samsung updates.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I have the same problem and wondered if you managed to fix it?

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Check your Settings under "Default Apps" and see which browser is set as the default.

If it is a nonstandard browser such as Samsung Internet, try changing that to Chrome or Firefox. You can still continue to use whatever browser you want, but when the eBay app tries to open a PayPal sign in window, it will use the default browser, and not all browsers work with eBay's checkout.

You can also sign in to PayPal directly through your browser and try using the One Touch Autologin feature under Settings to save a cookie in your browser for PayPal -- that can allow you to sign in in some cases. You can disable the feature later if you want.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

So apparently this doesn't involve the PayPal app because I don't have it installed. Ebay is just redirecting to PayPal's website when I go to pay. And my default browser is Chrome, which updates automatically. I haven't had a lot of time to mess with it lately, so I just added my credit card of choice to eBay so that I can avoid PayPal entirely.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@kf7umj wrote:

so I just added my credit card of choice to eBay so that I can avoid PayPal entirely.

So now you'll have a whole new world of problems because you don't have PayPal to fall back on if there are any issues with your purchase. Even worse, Adyen all the way over in Amsterdam now has your credit card number.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Nah, I've been an eBay member for 23 years and not once have I had to fall back on PayPal for "protection." I've had to fight them a couple times, though.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply