cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This morning's email about no longer using paypal-funded account to buy on ebay

I am used to fund my purchasing on ebay with sales in a simple manner and my 'selling money' goes into my paypal account to fund those purchases. Excess money in that paypal account gets pushed from time to time into my bank account. 

Does this morning's email mean:

(1) In order to do this I will in future have to pay commissions to somehow continue to move money into my paypal account?

(2) I can no longer fund my purchasing with sales and move excess into my bank account?

(3) ebay, simply put, wants the paypal commission for itself,  so  Ebay now commences taking the paypal "cut" for itself?  If I try to continue using paypal, I will now have to pay that commission twice?

(4) Within the context of ebay's recent move to de-emphasising the legal importance of their contract and their move to the sale-or-return model (when a buyer simply changes his mind on a purchase and ebay now insists that the seller swallows all losses)  does this remove a layer of protection for the seller? Does this morning's email coupled with the move to sale-or-return mean I have to find a new platform?

(5) there will now be a massive reduction in business for ebay as sellers reduce selling on the platform and buyers reduce their buying?  Should I short ebay's shares because the massive reduction in business will reflect itself next year in a substantial reduction in profits?  Can the reduction in business be offset by the increase in fees ebay have awarded themselves? Or will the platform shrinkage mean a reduction in the overall value of the company resulting from this payments change?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

As much as MP stinks Ebay will be fine and raking in the money. I read somewhere they make a ton off just advertising. Any sales is icing on the cake. And they China sellers have their cup runneth over. 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

You really need to take some time and read up on managed payments.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/service-and-payments/managed-payments-on-ebay.html#what-is-mana...

@intlaw They have been rolling in sellers for 3 years.

The funds from sales goes into your bank account.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I didn't receive "this morning's email", but it sounds as if you've been migrated to Managed Payments.

Welcome aboard.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

After you are transitioned to Managed Payments ( MP ) ...

- buyer's payments will no longer go to your Paypal account.

- you will no longer pay Paypal fees

- eBay will be sending your net selling proceeds to your bank account.

If you wish to continue to use your Paypal account to pay for purchases,

simply add a debit card linked to that bank account to your Paypal account Wallet.

Then select it as your preferred method for online payments.

No need to add funds to your Paypal account to pay for purchases.

----------------------------------------------------------

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

So, where eBay has gone over from a the-contract-governs-absolutely to a sale-or-return model, (the fees are virtually the same but)  a layer of protection is now removed for the seller?

And for a collectables/occasional seller, it is time to check out building a reputation on Instagram and use eBay primarily for buying in future?  With this in mind, what do I need to read up on Managed Payments? I see I might still be able to use paypal in the way I used to but it seems I will be paying the ebay processing fee plus the paypal processing fee? IF there is some way of directing any money from ebay sales to that paypal account?

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

No you will not be able to use PayPal for selling. There won’t be PayPal fees anymore.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 8 of 8
latest reply