Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bookmark Share Post

New buyer, problematic bid

ione_alm
Adventurer
Last Edited 04:37:40 PM

New buyer, literally first timer. I placed a bid on an item not knowing that some sellers impose a very short payment term (24 hours). Being the sole bidder, I won. Right after placing the bid, I accidentally scrolled down and saw the threats with disputes etc on the product page and wrote to the seller to explain the situation. My card details had been stolen and I had to wait 5 more days for a new card to arrive. This is clearly not such a long time and the reason is serious. I apologized and asked the seller to not open a dispute since I am in good faith willing to pay as soon as I recover my payment method. The seller came back to say that she has an automated dispute assistant that will send a dispute for unpaid items automatically in 2 days and then that becomes final after another 4, so I'd better pay before that or else. 

Firstly, this isn't at all good will from her side. Secondly, I contacted the seller proactively within 10 minutes since placing the bid and this seems like a jerk reply to me, especially given that I was the only bidder and didn't exactly ruin the deal of her life. She set up this automated tool on her account and clearly she can disable it if she can be bothered. So her reply is like saying she can't be bothered.  For her laziness, it's easier to just let the automated assistant handle the dirty work while she can ignore customers and hide behind a robot. Thirdly, after googling some more, I found out that an ebay fee is deducted from the seller even if I never pay for the item. 

So, is the reply I got both rude and financially detrimental to the seller or am I missing something? I have half a mind to not go through the deal now just because the seller was so abominably rude. I know that unpaid items can ultimately block one's account and being a new buyer I don't give a darn frankly, but just out of curiousity, will her opening a dispute after 2 days place an unpaid flag that will always stay on the account? Or how does this work?

Ultimately, let's consider the hypothetical case where I realized I can't buy an item for some reason. Are sellers physically unable to cancel transactions like these? Or are there penalties for them to do so? I found someone explaining that the sale fee is actually recovered from ebay if the transaction is cancelled rather than filed unpaid. Is that right?

ione_alm
Adventurer

Re: New buyer, problematic bid

in reply to Feb 12, 2018 1:19:01 PM
Last Edited 01:21:04 PM

Ultimately, to make it clear for everyone. I intend to buy the item. It is however very important to me that a buyer-seller relationship is courteous and my seller was not. My post was mainly because I was trying to understand why not. I wasn't sure of her motives. Now I'm sure she's just rude. After all the abuse I got after posting this thread it's clear that ebay is not the place for courtesy but the place where people are judged for crimes they are ASSUMED they will commit, not once but actually twice. 

0 Helpful

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Visionary

The seller can indeed halt the Unpaid Item Assistant for continuing.  If you pay within the 6 days. there is no ding or any record of the Unpaid Item Dispute.  Once the UID is opened, it cannot be changed to a Cancellation.

ione_alm
Adventurer

in reply to Feb 12, 2018 12:36:41 AM
Thank you, I thought the dispute remains on file for good if it has been opened.
0 Helpful

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Superstar

@ione_

Ultimately, let's consider the hypothetical case where I realized I can't buy an item for some reason. Are sellers physically unable to cancel transactions like these? Or are there penalties for them to do so? I found someone explaining that the sale fee is actually recovered from ebay if the transaction is cancelled rather than filed unpaid. Is that right?

No it’s not right. The seller gets a FVF credit whether they cancel or file an unpaid item case. And it’s entirely up to seller how they want to close the transaction. Your stolen card info is not a valid reason not to pay. You can pay with a bank account. You can go out and buy an eBay gift card or a prepaid VISA. It sounds like you did your research after you bid and now you want to back out. But whatever it is, the seller gets to decide what she’s going to do here. Once the unpaid item case is opened, you get another 4 days to pay before it can be closed against you. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
ione_alm
Adventurer

in reply to Feb 12, 2018 12:34:56 AM
Actually I tried to do my research but failed because it's a lot to read and not all rules seem to be written down. I had no idea that I can pay by bank account and thanks for telling me that.
0 Helpful
Rockstar

If it's your only card, most will send a replacement by over night shipping.  You can also pay by e check or from your bank account.  Some sellers want to be paid right away.

ione_alm
Adventurer

in reply to Feb 12, 2018 12:32:31 AM
Yes, that's what I said. I told the seller I will pay as soon as I physically have the new card. That's why it looks to me that it's not good will for the seller to open a dispute even though I will have the means to pay quite soon.
0 Helpful
gosimus
Rockstar

@ione_alm

< New buyer, literally first timer >  

< after placing the bid, I accidentally scrolled down and saw the threats >   

Accidentally huh?  Here's your first lesson, new buyer.  Always read the entire listing, and then read the entire listing a second time, before placing a bid or buying. 

ione_alm
Adventurer

in reply to Feb 12, 2018 12:27:22 AM
Do you people actually have useful replies or are replying only to vent? This isn't answering my question or being useful in any way. Why have you posted a reply at all?
0 Helpful
ione_alm
Adventurer

in reply to Feb 12, 2018 12:40:14 AM
This is the most useless reply ever. Come back when you have the decency to actually read the post and answer the questions instead of venting your hatred.
0 Helpful
gosimus
Rockstar

in reply to Feb 12, 2018 6:34:25 AM
Last Edited 06:35:15 AM

@ione_alm

You already had answers to the question you asked.  I was proactively advising you about a mistake you made and just mentioned in passing.  Feel free to wipe my advice from your mind.  I wish you well, new buyer.

ione_alm
Adventurer

in reply to Feb 12, 2018 7:18:12 AM
Sorry for jumping to conclusions, I got a lot of really nasty replies for opening this thread and I misjudged what you said. Yes, now I know that some sellers will give you 2 weeks windows while others only allow 24 hours. I also was convinced that it's enough for the dispute to be open to always show on the account. Now that I found out that it disappears if I pay as soon as my card arrives it's something else.
Superstar
Last Edited 12:53:16 PM

Hi @ione_alm

Yes ... I do believe you are missing something:    You should have asked the seller about making a delayed payment BEFORE placing your bid.

I have never bought anything if I didn't have the money on hand to pay for it ... so I'm frankly astounded by how you're trashing the seller for expecting payment in SIX DAYS.

Here's what you seem to want to know:

• If you fail to pay ... you'll receive a nonpayment strike to your account that will last 12 months.
  • One strike won't hurt you ... but receiving two (or more) strikes within a 12-month period will keep you from buying from most eBay sellers for up to a year.
  • eBay gives sellers the option whether to file the UPI dispute or cancel the transaction to get their fees refunded.   Most sellers opt into filing the UPI dispute to protect themselves and other sellers.  [Buyers can't leave feedback once a UPI dispute has been filed.]
  • Once a UPI dispute is filed ... the transaction cannot be cancelled.
  • Your Username has probably been put on a number of sellers' Blocked Bidders Lists because of the views you've expressed.

I'm confused about why you said you 'accidentally' scrolled down the product page.  We are supposed to read listings carefully before bidding so that we understand the seller's terms of sale.

BTW, I've had my credit card suspended a couple of times because of stolen info.  My new card was overnighted by my CC company ... and all payments (made by me) on my old card went through.  At most, I was without a card for 24 hours.

ione_alm
Adventurer

in reply to Feb 12, 2018 1:00:54 PM
Last Edited 01:13:04 PM

Frankly, I don't want to deal with the type of seller who treats me like I'm less than a human being for making a mistake. Like it seems to be the standard here. That's absolutely not what I wanted to know. I wanted to know why the seller hasn't behaved in a decent way. I am not intending to not pay the item and there are plenty of sellers who don't consider it a crime that first time buyers make mistakes. Here's some info. Buyers are those whose money make ebay go round, not sellers. All the superiority displayed here is astonishing in a market economy. I don't care about your strikes people. I wanted to know why this lack of decency. I know realize that this is what's being encouraged here. Don't worry, I'm paying for this and taking my money elsewhere. Never making the mistake to take ebay for a place for polite or mannered people. 

Good for you that your bank can have your card at your house in 24 hrs. Who cares. Mine doesn't. It takes 7 days and I paid for express shipment. 

And you Mr Capslock would surely be on the black list of most buyers if they saw the level of disdain that radiates from your writing toward one of them. You're all treating here people like they are crimials because you ASSUME they were going to do something wrong. Well you'd be all complaining if the police treated you like that. 

0 Helpful