cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managed Payments Sign Up Question Sole Proprietor w/DBA

I am supposed to sign up for Managed Payments and earlier I had read the following ebay’s help page info on how to do it, which I assumed was correct.  However, when I tried to sign up today, I got a different set of questions which do not fit my circumstance.

I am selling as a registered business here on ebay. I am a sole proprietor with a DBA and I have a registered business license in my state with authority to collect sales taxes which I have done until this past year when ebay took over.  I have also have an EIN.  

Here is what ebay’s managed payments help page says about signing up:

“To complete your verification, we'll need to confirm your identity. If you’re a Registered Business seller, we’ll need to confirm information about your business, as well as any beneficial owners, officers, directors, or account managers.

If you're selling as a Registered Business (Sole proprietor/Single member LLC, Corporation/Multi member LLC, Partnership), you'll need to provide:

• Individual identification information for beneficial owners, officers, directors, or account managers
  • Legal business name
  • “Doing Business As” (DBA) name (if you have one)
  • Employer Identification Number (EIN)
  • Business address
  • Phone number”

After reading that I figured no problem and I was prepared to do that. However, here is the set of questions I have on my registration page…This is NOTHING like how he help page says it will be and it doesn’t give me the choice of saying I operate my business as a legal entity registered business as a sole proprietor (which I do).  As you can see, Sole Proprietor is NOT a choice on that menu below.

"Are you operating your business as a legal entity?

Yes, my business is a legal entity

Select your legal entity

Single-member LLC (Limited Liability Company)

A business entity—registered with a state—that is owned by one member

Corporation/multi-member LLC

A business entity—registered with a state—that is owned by one or more shareholders or stockholders (in the case of a corporation) or more than one member (in the case of an LLC)

Partnership

Two or more people operating under a written or unwritten partnership agreement

Publicly traded company

A company whose shares of stock are listed on any nationally recognized stock exchange"

So, my other choice is this, which is incorrect for my business since I am a registered business.

“No, I manage my business as a sole proprietor or owner

This means you're selling under your own name, not as a registered business”

So, my question is this…Has anyone else reading this have this same issue?  Did you choose the second option anyway since you are a sole proprietor even though you are a licensed registered business? Also, my checking account has my DBA on the checks after my name and they aren’t letting me give them that info on the checking account info page  even though it is in the account info.  So I’m concerned the checking account won’t match.  Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.  I knew this wasn't going to be easy, but I didn't think it would be this hard.  

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Single-member LLC (Limited Liability Company) is the closest, so try that choice.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Just did it myself:

1. Make sure your name matches from bank account.

Ex: if it says John A Smith DBA Cool Things on your bank statement, then change your owner's name to John A (for first name), and Smith (for last name);

2. Change account type to business (but only if your bank account is business);

3. Start manage payment activation;

4. Pick "non-registered business" category - Sole Proprietor

5. It will then just ask you for personal info and bank account

6. Login to your bank account

7. All set

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

I can see where down the road it could lead to a lot of state tax paper work and questions.  Zoning laws could also come into play with a home business.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@onlinecentral wrote:

Single-member LLC (Limited Liability Company) is the closest, so try that choice.

I believe your advice is incorrect.  A LLC business is NOT the same as a Sole Proprietor doing business as (name of business) business.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

I ran into the same problem back in 2019 when I signed up for MP.  I am a sole proprietor with a licensed/registered business and EIN, I don't have a DBA.   I had to call and have eBay set up my business account as a sole proprietor with a registered business name so I could use my EIN.  All of my personal info is entered as the Stakeholder/Beneficial owner.  My business details look like this incase you want to have something to reference when you call.  

business.PNG

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Doesnt work !!

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Well, I just registered for Managed Payments and was accepted, but I'm wondering if I did what I did was OK.  I am a sole proprietor with a DBA.  The very first thing they ask is:

Are you operating your business as a legal entity?

O  Yes, my business is a legal entity.

O  No, I manage my business as a sole proprietor or owner.

This means you're selling under your own name, not as a registered business.

If I check the first option that my business is a legal entity, there were only 5 choices, none of which applied.

O  Single member LLC

O  Corporation / multi-member LLC

O  Partnership

O  Publicly traded company

O  Non-Profit

So I checked the 2nd option, but I don't know if having a DBA makes me a "registered business."  Lots of sole proprietors have DBAs so they can legally sell under their name and the business name.  I logged onto my bank where I have 2 accounts:  one personal and one business.  The business account has my name on the first line, DBA SOMANYPOSTCARDS on the 2nd line, and my mailing address (not my street address) below.  eBay will deposit 1 cent in this account tomorrow.  I am officially in Managed Payments, but based on the wording of the initial choice I am not operating my business as a legal entity.  Is this right?

I'll wait before signing up my other eBay account to Managed Payments to get your opinions.  That account is named somanypcs.  I also wonder if I need a DBA for that business name?  Do all sole proprietors need DBAs for their eBay seller IDs?

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

I should have mentioned that I also have a Seller's Permit from the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration for somanypostcards, my DBA name, with my name below which I "display conspicuously at place of business for which issued," i.e. my home.   And I collected California sales tax until eBay began collect this sale tax, and I file yearly California sales tax returns.  Does this make my sole proprietorship a "register business" and, if so, how should I correct my Managed Payments account with eBay?

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

thanks

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@somanypostcards 

This SBA site may help explain what a registered business is:

https://www.sba.gov/business-guide/launch-your-business/register-your-business 

I have a registered business as a sole proprietor.  I have the following assignments and licenses:

1. Registered business name with my state
  2. EIN assignment
  3. Transaction Privilege Tax License with my state (sales tax collection)
  4. City business license
  5. Business bank account

eBay did ask for documentation for business verification after I had been activated with managed Payments.  IIRMC, I uploaded the business name registration document, EIN assignment and a recently filed Transaction Privilege Tax return form.

I hope this helps.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@mcdougle4248 wrote:

@somanypostcards 

I have a registered business as a sole proprietor.  I have the following assignments and licenses:

2. EIN assignment
  4. City business license
  5. Business bank account

eBay did ask for documentation for business verification after I had been activated with managed Payments.  IIRMC, I uploaded the business name registration document, EIN assignment and a recently filed Transaction Privilege Tax return form.

I hope this helps.

Yes, I am now comfortable with how I registered for Managed Payments thanks to the information link you provided.  A sole proprietor does not have a separate business entity.  There are 4 ways to register a business name, all with different benefits, and I used the DBA option to register my business name.  A sole proprietor can use their SSN, so I did not file for an EIN, and I was able to open a business bank account using my DBA and SSN.  I don't live in a city, so don't need a city business license.  Thanks for your helpful comments.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@somanypostcards wrote:

@mcdougle4248 wrote:

@somanypostcards 

2. EIN assignment
  4. City business license
  5. Business bank account

I hope this helps.

Yes, I am now comfortable with how I registered for Managed Payments thanks to the information link you provided.  A sole proprietor does not have a separate business entity.  There are 4 ways to register a business name, all with different benefits, and I used the DBA option to register my business name.  A sole proprietor can use their SSN, so I did not file for an EIN, and I was able to open a business bank account using my DBA and SSN.  I don't live in a city, so don't need a city business license.  Thanks for your helpful comments.

@somanypostcards  

Glad the link helped 😊

Message 13 of 13
latest reply