cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managed Payment - seller payment holds

After being in Managed Payment since June 4th, my account is all of a sudden on Payment Hold status. When I called customer service, they said my account was just switched to "Casual Seller" status on August 14th. Now, I have to wait until an item is delivered for the payment to be initiated to my bank account. I have been selling on eBay for over 20 years, and recent sales have been over 2k for the last 2.5 months. I am told my payments will be on hold until I sell 20 more items. When I call customer service, they cannot locate any documentation of the on the eBay website, and they said this detail was not included in the Managed Payment contract that I had to sign. This needs to be documented so that everybody knows their payments will now be on hold, until delivery is complete, for their next 25 items sold, no matter how many sales they have had in the past. The counter stared in August, but is retroed back to when the seller signed their managed payment agreement. I happened to sign the managed payment agreement on June 4th. So, my counter started on June 4th. Now, everybody starts in the "casual seller" level until they have sold 25 new items. Then, they move up to the next level.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

I asked to speak with a manager in customer service, about my new payment hold. I was told that all sellers must now sell over 25 items, in a rolling 2-year period, beginning when they enrolled in Managed Payments, to move out of "Casual Seller" status. It doesn't matter how many sales you have had in the past. That is irrelevant.  Once a seller moves out of "Casual Seller" status, their payouts will no longer be on hold until 2 business days after the item is delivered. Then, if a seller falls below 25 items sold, in any rolling 2-year period, they will drop back down to "Casual Seller" status, and their payments will automatically be on hold again. However, the manager could not find any documentation of this on the website. In addition, the seller cannot see their status (casual seller, or not casual seller) on the eBay website. Nor can the seller see how many more sales they need to reach the next level, for their payments to stop being on hold for "Casual Seller" status. There needs to be documentation of this change, that sellers can see online. There also needs to be a place online where sellers can see if they are designated as a "Casual Seller" or not, and how many more sales they need to move up to the next level, so their payments are not on hold. I was told to click on the link at the very bottom of any screen, where it says "User Agreement" to see this documentation. However, that documentation is out of date. It still talks about Paypal. The documentation found at the hot-link for "User Agreement" needs to be corrected. That is a tech issue. The hot-link is linking to the wrong documentation. The policies have dramatically changed, but the website has not been updated so that the seller can see these changes in writing. The manager I spoke with said he gets calls all day long about this. Maybe if the website was update, your managers would not have to spend all day telling sellers that the rules have changed, and it is not documented.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

According to your sales history, you went 2 months without selling anything, and now you have listings with prices up to $5k. That's enough to trigger a hold for a possible hijacked account.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

@affairs.of.estate 

You can find the information at the bottom of this page>Help and contact>search for payment hold. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

I spoke with a customer service manager. He said everybody who signed the Managed Payment agreement is now, as of August, subject to a requirement of selling 25 items in a rolling 2 year period, in order to move to the next level above casual seller. I have sold 5 items since June 4th. The first 4 did not have payment holds, but the 5th one did. I was told the reason for the hold for the payment on the 5th item is because the change went into affect, for all eBay sellers, in August of 2021, not just me. He also said that he gets calls all day long about this, as it is not yet documented.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Hi @affairs.of.estate 

I think it's the cost of your listed items that may also have affected payment holds.  Sellers have reported that their funds for items costing $1000 or more were being held for 21 days ... considerably longer than it took the item to reach the buyer.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

"I spoke with a customer service manager. He said everybody who signed the Managed Payment agreement is now, as of August, subject to a requirement of selling 25 items in a rolling 2 year period, in order to move to the next level above casual seller. I have sold 5 items since June 4th. The first 4 did not have payment holds, but the 5th one did. I was told the reason for the hold for the payment on the 5th item is because the change went into affect, for all eBay sellers, in August of 2021, not just me. He also said that he gets calls all day long about this, as it is not yet documented."

If this is the situation I suppose you need to start listing a bunch of lower priced items pronto.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

It is not related to the price, but rather the quantity of items sold since signing the new managed payment contract. 

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@affairs.of.estate 

I've not heard of this caveat. 🤔

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

I've not heard of this caveat

@mtgraves7984 

It was addressed in today's Weekly Chat.  Casual/occasional sellers will have payments held until delivery is confirmed.  Sounds like a new "if you don't sell enough punishment camp"?????

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

cinnabar58
Adventurer

BAD management. They have to be experiencing a huge drop in revenue. Due to the payments fiasco.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

I've not heard of this caveat

@mtgraves7984 

It was addressed in today's Weekly Chat.  Casual/occasional sellers will have payments held until delivery is confirmed.  Sounds like a new "if you don't sell enough punishment camp"?????

@ittybitnot 

1) Thank you for sharing... and, yeah, kinda does.

2) Well, shucks. So today is Wednesday? 🤣

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

This is exactly the issue I was talking about in the other thread...now I know why..the ol' "Lets punish long time members for not selling enough on the platform"...It's reasons like THIS that people are selling LESS...the arrogance and ignorance of Ebay corporate policy is appalling. 

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

I was able to resolve this obnoxious punishment by contacting eBay several times via phone and asking to speak with management who were able to forward an appeal message to this obscure "backroom support department" on US soil, which is essentially where the real support is. Thanks for your comment! 

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

I may sell items costing from 500 to 5000 and I will not ship any item until I am paid for it been on ebay for 19 years expensive items take long time to sell so I a not a frequent seller and cannot afford to let ebay hold my money  for weeks some items are shipped by freight and crated could take 2 months to get there .  ebay has your bank info and credit card and ss number no reason to take more than 2 to 5 days to receive money even that is a scam to make interest on the money   nag1945

Message 15 of 17
latest reply