cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help With Pricing please...

I have a large liquor decanter collection that I am in the process of listing and selling in my newly created Ebay store. As I list each bottle, I check to see what they have recently sold for and also how many are listed and for what price currently. My issue is this...some of these decanters may be listed at hight prices, while the exact same decanter is listed for and perhaps sold for as little as 99 cents at the same time. I understand supply and demand, but I don't understand why someone would list something for practically nothing when it appears that the going rate is much much higher. It really makes it hard to know how to price and hopefully get what the item is worth. How do you suggest I determine pricing?

Also, if Free Shipping the way to go rather than calculated shipping paid by the buyer? 

Thanx,

klmutch

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

EBay, based on decade old conditions, encourages new sellers to use auctions, although most listings and sales are from Fixed Price listings and to start those auction very low, even when that price does not cover the seller's costs. (At one time, any auction would get multiple bids and sell at a decent price. This has not been true for well over five years.)

Price your items at what you want to get for them as a minimum. Then add in the shipping cost and offer Free Shipping, whice really means "shipping cost is included in price.  Half below 100, eh?

There is a strong belief among consumers that the higher the price the better the quality. This explains the pricing of, for example, the quite mediocre Dr. Dre headphones over better reviewed and cheaper equipment. But make sure that your listing also looks classy, with proper spelling and grammar.(Not a problem for you, but others may read this.)

I also believe that the lower prices attract a nasty, bottom feeding, cherry picking buyer. These guys are harder to please and more likely to pull a scam than someone who recognizes a fair price.

Good luck with your sales. I started with my 30 year collection of SF paperbacks and have added very nicely to my pension fund over the years.

Oh- you do know that Paypal will hold your customer's payments for up to 21 days against your customer service, right?

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

I was hoping I would receive a reply from you, as I have read many of your replies to various posts and find your comments to be well thought out. I also like (agree with) the comment about the Tea Party! The government should not be bullied! 

I never considered  the aspect that the general public might perceive pricing to equate to quality, but considering society as a whole today, I think you are correct. Also, I never have understood the EBAY philosophy to auction at below cost and include free shipping when most items rarely get over 1 bid. 

About Paypal, I didn't really understand what you were referring to. What forms of payment do you recommend?

klmutch

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

As a Buyer Protection policy, PP will hold a customer's cleared payment for up to 21 days (for non-US sellers) or until the buyer leaves positive feedback (for US sellers).

The seller can only access this money to print a PP shipping label.

If there is a problem reported, the Hold can last longer, since PP doesn't want to be refunding to the unhappy victims of criminals who list, sell, take the money and run.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply