cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Final Value Fee Questions

I recently returned to eBay after being away for a few years. I have to say I'm shocked by the final value fees, especially for Health & Beauty. My biggest concern is there are sellers who are selling the same thing for at or only dollars above the wholesale cost and offering free shipping. I don't know how they're doing this, unless the products aren't authentic. I sell Isotonix, I am an authorized dealer. If I try to compete with these sellers, I am losing about $10 per sale, which obviously isn't an option. I opened a basic store to try and help with the fees, but even that isn't helping much. Am I missing something?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

or only dollars above the wholesale cost

What makes you think there is only one wholesale cost?

At one point in my retail life, I was selling BBQs in a small shop that had three employees.

We got a better wholesale price than The Bay (a major Canadian department store that owns the US chain Lord & Taylor) on our BBQs because we bought a truckload at a time and about four truckloads during the very short Canadian season.

The Bay bought a dozen for each of their stores, which meant the trucker made six stops for The Bay and one for us.

In the same way, your competitors may have better rates from their shippers.

All sellers are aware of Paypal's discounts on shipping labels.

UPS and other couriers have lower rates for high volume customers.

I also have a better deal on postage because I use postage stamps, purchased at a huge discount when we buy philatelic estates. That discount is big enough for me to offer discounted (Canadian) mint postage here on eBay.

On eBay, I have always allowed 20% of my customer payment for fees. These include listing (including the 50 free listings or the lower cost Store* listings), Paypal, and here in Canada a 5%  tax on the fees. This also covers my cost for Cookie Jar Insurance, self-insurance against transactions that go bad.

The number is too high, but that leaves me happy at the end of the month when fees are lower than I expected.  Smoke and mirrors.

*They are no more free than Free Shipping is free. The cost of Store listings in covered by the monthly Store fee.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

@everythingageless wrote:

I recently returned to eBay after being away for a few years. I have to say I'm shocked by the final value fees, especially for Health & Beauty. My biggest concern is there are sellers who are selling the same thing for at or only dollars above the wholesale cost and offering free shipping. I don't know how they're doing this, unless the products aren't authentic. I sell Isotonix, I am an authorized dealer. If I try to compete with these sellers, I am losing about $10 per sale, which obviously isn't an option. I opened a basic store to try and help with the fees, but even that isn't helping much. Am I missing something?

Not sure why you say that - fees were actually reduced in 2011 when ebay changed it to start collecting FVF on shipping as well as the item.   The fees used to be 12-13% - now they are 10%.

Since ebay's fees can't be the reason you're losing money, you need to figure out what adjustments you need to make in order to make a profit.   If the competitors are outselling you then that isn't about ebay's fees - since they have to pay them also.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply