cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please look at my sampler.

This is a large, very naive, sampler that is framed.  I am including lots of photos below in case the experts here can get some idea of the age or subject matter.    It appears to be dated 17?? but I find that a bit hard to believe.  Thanks for looking.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Appears to be  correct. Look at the clothes and military man. Also the canvas is more primitive than is used today. Looks also to have a Jacobean style to it. I had one similar before and was going to sell it but unfortunately can't locate it now.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Thank you so much.  Happy to have the Jacobean association for researching.  I would like to know what you think of the quality of the workmanship.  It looks very folk-artish to me, even juvenile. (not that I could do better)  I do not know this market and maybe I should just let potential buyers judge for themselves?

BTW, I am feeling you regarding "not being able to find" your sampler.  I just stumbled over this last week and am sure I have not laid eyes on it for maybe 7 years.    Hope yours shows up soon. 

Thanks again.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I believe this is a relatively new piece made to look old. There are all different types of canvas out there today so I do not think you can judge by that. The canvas does not look old to me, really. It's a pretty piece and someone might like it, but it is not antique, in my opinion.

meowmeow

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I have another question.  Is this considered a sampler if there is no alphabet or numbers?  Thanks again.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Good question.....probably not really a sampler. The point of a sampler is to show different types (samples) of stitches and this kind of shows a couple. But I would just call it a primitive type embroidery, if it were mine.

meowmeow

Message 6 of 6
latest reply