cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help please to ID the type of lace in this collar

Hi, I am hoping someone can give me some information of the type of work in this lace collar.

Is it chemical lace?IMG_5266[1].JPGDetail in placesDetail in placesIMG_5268[1].JPGMaterialMaterialIMG_5269[1].JPG. There are some remnants of material in the collar.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

It's definitely machine made but not sure that is chemical lace. Kind of a mish mash, I think. Perhaps someone else will know more.

meowmeow

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

This looks like the guipure form of Irish Carrickmacross lace or applique. The applique form of  Carrickmacross is made with three layers a pattern, a layer of net and a layer of fine muslin. A cord is stitched down following the outline of the pattern sewing all three layers together. Most frequently there are loops of thread fastened along the outside edge. The excess fabric is carefully removed and the lovely pattern appears.

The quipure form has no layer of net. The design forms are held together by buttonholed bars and the excess muslin is cut away. Open areas are often filled with needle lace.

It is difficult to be certain but I believe this is a Carrickmacross quipure collar. It is in rather fragile condition as Carrickmacross does not hold up well to being laundered, the stitches holding the cord down seem to me to be a bit too far apart and tend to shift with wear and being washed.

I do hope this is helpful. You should be able to find photos on the internet to compare.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Thank you so much. I will have a good look.
Message 4 of 4
latest reply