cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help identifying unusual antique embroidered textile with cats, rabbits, birds and flowers

Wondering if anyone can tell me the timeline, place of origin and purpose of this textile.  It is 44x88".  The dark brown fabric is woven and appears to be natural fiber.  The embroidery thread is silk.  There are figural birds, flowers, cats and rabbits.   Hopefully someone knows something.
Best,

Dawn

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Help identifying unusual antique embroidered textile with cats, rabbits, birds and flowers

Looks Middle Eastern to me, but I am no expert. Otherwise, I can't really help. It is pretty slow around here but perhaps someone else will come along who can help.

meowmeow

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Thank you for your response!

I was thinking maybe India or the Middle East as well. Hopefully someone will come along 🙂

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

What do you mean by "natural fiber?"  Cotton?  Wool?  And, of course, silk is a natural fiber.  

Debora

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Agree with Debora- ground cloth fiber ID could help. do you know age?

I don't see any rabbits, which somehow makes me think for an easier ID. Though I am no expert!

I am thinking Indonesia as origin, for no particular reason beyond gut feeling.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply